PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety for no apparent reason??

Lilith
17-06-04, 15:51
Hi guys! It's been awhile since I've posted. I've been doing pretty well, and was away on a cruise vacation last week. I have been practicing what I learned here, namely to do the things that I'm afraid of, and it's been slow going but helpful. Now I have another question.

Yesterday afternoon, my sweet daughter was brushing my hair for me. It's just something nice she does for me once in a while because I find it so relaxing. Well, while she was brushing my hair, I had an anxiety attack! Usually, having my hair done makes me feel lovely and relaxed, but this time I began feeling tense all over, my breathing started coming hard, my heart started racing and I felt like I was going to cry.

What's that all about? Has anyone else had an experience of anxiety hitting while doing something pleasurable? And what can I possibly to do about it? I mean, facing my fears as far as traffic jams, and crowded stores is one thing, but I don't fear getting my hair brushed, lol. What is there to overcome in a situation like this?

sarah
17-06-04, 17:56
Hi There Lilith

First of all im so pleased that you have been doing so well!!
Did you enjoy your cruise?, where did you go?

As for the hairbrushing thing, bizzarely enough I know exactly what you mean. Ive got long hair and my 6 year old niece loves to play with it and put it in plaits etc. Very occasionally I get the feelings of a panic stirring.
I dont think its anything to worry about, just the panic trying to catch you off your guard when you are relaxing! (maybe the stimulation of the hair folicles is enough to spark it off as we are oversensitive to our feelings being nutty panickers?...lol)

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

pips
18-06-04, 01:28
Hi Lilith,

Well done for doing so well and the cruise!

I know exactly how you feel. I often find I get anxious even when I am doing something I enjoy! Even having a massage!LOL Or going somewhere I enjoy. It upsets me more when this happens. I get angry because I am supposed to feel relaxed and don't! The trouble is I make it worse for myself by trying to over anyalize the situation then. I just can't seem to win hey!

I think you are probably feeling worse as it crept up on you without you realising! It has a habit of doing that. Especially when you think all's well!

Try not to worry. I hope you are feeling better!

Take care

Love Pip's XX

Lilith
18-06-04, 14:26
Hi guys. The cruise was lovely. We flew to Fort Lauderdale, Fl. and sailed to St. Thomas, St. Martin, and something called "Princess Cay" on the "Caribbean Princess" which is a very beautiful ship. The only time I had any anxiety on the trip was the flight (of course) and anticipation of riding on the tender to the beach. I took a Xanax beforehand since it was REALLY hot and humid and I knew those things would all add up to panic.

The hairbrushing incident still has me rather annoyed though, mainly because I don't know how to deal with it. For example, I know that going out driving in traffic, while terrifying, will eventually help me get over my fear of that situation, but how can I prepare for, or defend against, an attack that comes while I am supposed to be relaxing? The more I think about it, the more I can sort of equate it with terrorism. I mean, an army can defend itself in times of war because it's expecting to get shot at, but a peace-time civilian attack is quite a different thing. (Am I making any sense?)

sarah
18-06-04, 15:31
Hiya Lilith

i have to say I went on a princess cruise for my honeymoon nearly 3 years ago (yikes thats gone quick..lol). They are truly beautiful ships arent they? So huge? We went to the same places as you did but we were on the 'grand princess' ship.

Im not sure that you can 'prepare and defend ' against these panic attavks out of the blue in the same way you can for ones that you pretty much know you will get when you are out etc.
I think you just have to tell yourself that its OK to relax and you are in a safe place and they wont hurt you. Im not sure what else to say. But yes I understand your terrorism comparison!

take care
Love sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Lilith
18-06-04, 17:16
quote:I think you just have to tell yourself that its OK to relax and you are in a safe place and they wont hurt you.

Yeah, I guess you're right, because that's the same exact thing I tell myself when I'm doing something I know I'm scared of. The only difference is that one is more or less expected and the other isn't. And, come to think of it, when I deliberately do something I'm afraid to do, I'm not really doing anything magical to ward off the panic, just dealing with it when it comes. So whether I expect it or not, the reaction should be the same. Thank you for helping me sort that out. :)

Tessie28
18-06-04, 18:00
Hi Lilith,

I'm afraid I'm a cruise aholic:D:D. Just love it so much and only get stressed by the flights [so sometimes cruise out of the UK]. Glad you had a good time. there is just something so relaxing about it. Also great if you don't like strange beds as you take 'yours' with you everywhere.

Perhaps you had got so laid back Mr Panic just couldn't resist having a go[V]. Hope you are feeling better now,
love Tess xx

april tones
18-06-04, 20:48
hi lilith, i think what sarah said explains it all. I am getting better but get anxiety for no reason sometimes. It does throw you off guard i have to admit, it gets better though.love april x

apriltones

JsMom
19-06-04, 14:29
I know exactly what you are saying. I have had panic and anxiety when I was doing something relaxing and it really does set you back. I think the other people here have given some good feedback. I also think that the panic monster just likes to rear it's head whenever it can! Hang in there! :)

Jenelle

Jenelle

Lilith
20-06-04, 02:39
Thanks, guys, for all your responses. Your helpful concern is really appreciated. :)

lainey
20-06-04, 11:17
Hi Lilleth

I also get anxiety attacks for no reason, very often when I am having a good day I suddenly start getting all these physical symptoms. They are getting better and although I would like to avoid the places where they have happened I make myself go back asap although i get really wound up about it. But then when i go back and nothing happens it gives me a real sense of achievement.

I started having an attack last week whilst having reflexolgy and although i was very relaxed up came the heat and the pounding heart, but i said to myself don't let this take you over and it worked and it didn't freak me out at all.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise!

Take care

Elaine:D:D[xx(]

EMMA
21-06-04, 11:45
Hi,

I am exactly the same. Every relaxing thing I do makes me anxious. I think that I anticipate that it will make me relax and feel happy but then panic sets in when it doesn't.

I used to love going on holiday and flying didn't bother me but now I am even anxious about that. I get married at the end of July and we are going to Mauritius for our honeymoon. It's a place I've always dreamed of going to. But I am panicking like mad about it. I'm worried about sitting on the plane for 10 hours and also worried about being so far away from home if I'm feeling anxious. I keep tryng to tell myself that a holiday is what I need but my body is telling me to be anxious about it. It's like a vicious circle. Any advice on overcoming this worry would be grateful.

Cheers
Emma

Meg
21-06-04, 13:43
A couple of points to ponder

Reflexology and other body treatments are relaxing but also stimulate energy changes within us and emotions do rise up and come out. Just doing what it says on the tin. Good - moving on.
Hair brushing could do the same thing.

I have a theory that you have several chat channels in your head ie an active conversation with someone, being aware of identity of radio music, planning supper and one for alternatives and if this one was going free it is susceptible to a single rogue thought leading to another one and so forth and 'out of the blue' anxiety starts.

Elaine - well coped

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Jules31
21-06-04, 13:56
I get my anxiety out of nowhere too, to the extent that sometimes I find it hard to believe that it is anxiety. Often it will hit me when I go to bed as I doze off or even wake me in the morning.

You are doing so well though
Jules