PDA

View Full Version : Bus trip at work...help!

glanford
10-09-06, 14:38
At work I have been told by a colleague that I will be expected to go on a bus on Tuesday morning to support the supervision of an out of school trip.

I am petrified about this as I am currently soldiering through a really anxious panicky phase. I am really hanging on at present. Just being at work is close to unbearable.

No one knows about this at work. I don't know what to say or how to get out of it. What makes things worse is that this is going to be a weekly arrangement.

I feel like quitting...and that is obviously serious. I'm cornered here.

Wannabeloved85
10-09-06, 14:43
hmmm.. its better to do it, that way then your in control, your not letting anxiety stop you. if you didnt go, its another thing to add to the avoidance list, therefore could be loking at an agoraphobic future. HOWEVER, you dont want to be pushing yourself too much if you dont feel upto it. Write down the positives and negatives about this trip on a piece of paper, and challenge your thoughts too about this situation, it may make you think more clearly, as its not all up there jumbled in your mind. sometimes looking at our thoughts n paper brings us back to reality.
Becci z

glanford
10-09-06, 15:14
Thanks Becci. It is probably better to do it. I just don't want to have a horrendous experience and head towards full on agoraphobia.

regards
John

giddy
10-09-06, 15:26
Hi John
I'd say go for it. Is there someone else going on the trip who you could let know how you feel? I teach and I remember one time when my anxiety was at its worst I had to walk with my class to the library and then sit and listen to a story teller for half an hour. One of the things I struggled with at that time was being still as that was when the panic started. Anyway I was so busy watching the kids and ensuring they were OK that I forgot about me!! I think that was the most anxiety free 2 hours I'd had in a long time! I guess what I'm trying to say is that there will be so much going on you won't have time to panic. Keep telling yourself from now until then that the trip will be great and you will be fine, approach it with positive thoughts rather then negative ones. Once you've got the first trip under your belt, they'll get easier and easier.
Take care and good luck
Let us know how you get on
Love Helen

glanford
10-09-06, 16:39
Hi Helen,

thanks

Yes, I use that same method of distraction at my school too. It usually works fairly well. I often feel unsteady walking between classes though and have to refocus.

As far as the bus trip, 3 months ago I'd give someone the same advice and followed it myself. But right now every fibre in my body is against it. If they let me drive my car to the venue and take it from there I could probably do it. ( I guess that would be silly!) Unfortunately there is no one on the trip I would risk confiding in.

John

BeeBee
11-09-06, 18:45
Hi John,

Nice to know that there are other teachers out there who have similar feelings to me!

I teach too and can really sympathise with your bus trip worry. When I took my class on a school trip on a coach I found it reassuring to tell my colleagues a helpful fib - that I got travel sickness. This meant that if I did feel a little panicky then I wouldn't be too embarassed as people would just think it was that making me look or feel a bit uncomfy.

If it's any reassurance then I often find that when I'm with my class and I concentrate hard on chatting to them and looking after them it takes my mind off the anxiety.

Good luck!

glanford
12-09-06, 17:37
Hi Bee Bee,

Yes that is a good method of distraction. Actually I work in SEN behaviour/learning support so I can really focus one on one in a class situation.

By the way it turned out that I wasn't expected to go on the trip. They wanted volunteers so that was a relief. However I did speak to the SENCO about my problem on Monday and he was very supportive and understanding.

I have been on school trips before but at the moment it is enough just to be at work and not taking time off

BeeBee
12-09-06, 17:40
Good to hear that your SENCO was understanding and helpful and a nice relief about your trip too!

Just keep going at work and look after yourself and it'll be half term before you know it!