PDA

View Full Version : A beautiful story of compassion for us all

Serenitie
03-03-13, 19:10
I watched this for the second time today. I learnt as much and cried as much as I did the first time round. A beautiful, tragic story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010y7my/The_Boy_in_the_Striped_Pyjamas/

Panic Manic
03-03-13, 23:18
Thanks for sharing this xx

Kells81
03-03-13, 23:20
It says not available at the moment but I will certainly try again tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing x

blue moon
03-03-13, 23:20
Thank You,Cat:hugs:
Petra x:D

little wren
04-03-13, 06:51
Serentie - I caught the last part of this on TV and I was intrigued - especially when the officers son says 'can we go to the cafe?' when he is behind the wire with his friend. This film makes me want to read the book.

bernie1977
04-03-13, 10:59
Brilliant film and definitely one that makes me cry.

I watched The Pianist the other night, that too is based on the holocaust and very thought provoking.

JaneC
04-03-13, 11:35
It's a deeply, deeply affecting film - and book - but beautiful? Don't you understand the ending?

bernie1977
04-03-13, 11:40
I'm sure she does understand the ending. As a guess of Serenties behalf I'm sure she meant the friendship was beautiful. She also said tragic by which I'm sure she meant the outcome of the friendship.

JaneC
04-03-13, 11:54
It's much, much darker than that. Look where an innocent friendship led. The big message in the film is about karma. I don't watch/read it and think 'how beautiful', I do so with a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach and pain in my heart.

Serenitie
05-03-13, 01:25
Serentie - I caught the last part of this on TV and I was intrigued - especially when the officers son says 'can we go to the cafe?' when he is behind the wire with his friend. This film makes me want to read the book.

I think that this is one of the few film adaptations that lives up to the book - a worthwhile read.

---------- Post added at 01:11 ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 ----------

Brilliant film and definitely one that makes me cry.

I watched The Pianist the other night, that too is based on the holocaust and very thought provoking.

I totally agree, Bernie. Both are very moving, thought provoking films.

---------- Post added at 01:17 ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 ----------

It's a deeply, deeply affecting film - and book - but beautiful? Don't you understand the ending?

I thought that the friendship between the boys was beautiful (truly amazing child actors). They were able to show compassion and empathy for each other that the adults were not able to show and only felt when they had experienced a painful loss that effected them directly.

---------- Post added at 01:25 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

This documentary is well worth a watch. It shows how disconnected society has become when a 38 year old (same age as me) vanishes. Her disappearance is not noticed for several years. It is not a 'feel good film' but provokes many questions explored by people who knew this woman.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dreams-of-a-life/4od

I had a film day today, which I haven't made time for in a long time. I'm glad I did - I watched 4 films & learned a lot :)