PDA

View Full Version : Morning blues :(

PinkRoxy
04-03-13, 00:38
I have often heard with depression and I think from what some of you have said on here that having depression it is quite common to feel worse in the mornings.

I have noticed over the last few mornings I have been feeling yucky like I have been feeling really down and not so well. I think a trigger could be because I wake up every morning with sinus headache and congestion and hay fever such as itchy eyes and sore irritated throat. It gets better by late morning lunch time.

But I notice even though I am feeling physically slightly unwell it brings my mood down just about into a black hole. I have thoughts that I would rather die than feel this way because I am over it, the low mood and allergies. Yes it is suicidal thoughts but I never thought that hay fever and sinus could actually bring on suicidal thoughts at all but for me lately apparently it does.

Does anyone else get this? Do you find you feel more depressed in the mornings and/or by feeling physically unwell?

I really do hate feeling like I would rather be dead than to exist and live I really just want to wake up happy and looking forward to the day and my life and have spark. I have improved since taking the medication but Im sure its the allergies that is bringing me down. Another thing that doesn't help is grey gloomy days as sunlight always does help with uplifting my mood.

Pigeon
04-03-13, 08:22
Hi Pink Roxy

You're right, it's a very comon sign of clinical depression to feel worse in the mornings. In fact it's exactly how I feel. I do feel physically unwell, but with anxiety syptoms such as shakiness, weakness, nausea and headache.

I don't have any medical expertise but I doubt it's anyhting to so with your sinus problem, More to do with the seratonin levels in your brain being lower in the morning - so I heard.

But I think it may be a good idea to let your doctor about it especially as you are having those horrible thoughts. please try to remember it will pass, you'll feel better later and it;s just the depression making you fell this way.

Lots of love and hope you're feeling better soon

Pigeon
xxx:hugs:

PinkRoxy
04-03-13, 08:37
Thanks Pigeon

Depression is a horrible thing I think its just that because I feel all crappy with the allergies it makes me feel like its not worth existing but you are probably right the depression and the thoughts that are associated with it is probably the depression the allergies are making it worse.

I will see how my feelings go this week otherwise I will go and see my doctor about it. Thanks for the reply and I hope you are doing ok :)

ruthless
04-03-13, 15:45
Hi

I often feel worse in the morning, and then better as the day goes on. I agree it is probably to do with the Seratonin Levels. I have also heard that because our blood sugar levels are low before we have eaten that that can affect how we feel. So it may help to eat as soon as possible after waking.
I have always found it hard to eat in the morning, and would usually just exist at work on coffee for the first few hours. I know my eating habits weren't good, and I am trying my best to eat as well as I can now - despite me finding it difficult at times

ElizabethJane
04-03-13, 16:27
I used to feel really bad in the mornings. The feeling of dread was the worst thing. I'm better now and medication seems to take the worst out of it. Try to get going as soon as you wake up (reasonable time) as early morning waking can be a problem too. I try to have my cup of tea then put my porridge on the hob and go into the shower. When I was feeling bad it would take till about 11am to feel 'normal'. Take care. EJ

Edie
04-03-13, 17:44
Pigeon is right about seratonin being lower in the mornings. It falls while you sleep, and rises again after you wake up. It you're starting from a lower point, it's bound to affect your mood in the morning.

The allergies won't be helping either. If your mood is already low, then that would definitely not help. Could it help to take allergy meds just before bed? Would they stay in your system long enough to affect how you feel in the morning?

If you're on antidepressants, it might be worth altering the time of day you take them, or trying a slow-release version to retain a more steady level in your body - though I don't think they are all available in slow-release formations.

Winter coming won't help either. Have you tried a daylight/SAD lamp? I use a daylite craft bulb in an ordinary lamp. I put in on a timer to come on just before I wake up. I find it helps enough to lift my mood, but for some people they need a proper SAD lamp. Trying to get some sunlight as soon as you can in the mornings could also help, but I expect it's difficult to find the motivation to leap out of bed when you feel so crappy.

I hope you can find an answer. It's a miserable way to feel.

PinkRoxy
04-03-13, 17:55
Thanks everyone. I do take an allergy tablet at night I also use them to help me sleep but I do not feel the drowsy affect on them in the morning. I know the difference I feel between feeling depressed or just feeling really tired.

I do get affected by weather really bad too. I remember feeling quite low on days where the weather wasn't too flash and especially on dark rainy days. I notice my mood gets bad if I wake up to a grey gloomy day and it feels like I am mentally exhausted that at times I cannot move to do anything.

I agree its a horrible feeling, I am worried about winter as I may feel worse when we get yucky weather. I also find I need to keep busy which does help with the mood. I actually didn't feel worse in the morning before being on medication its only now that Ive noticed that I have been and Ive been on citalopram for a month.

Sunshine77
04-03-13, 18:01
Hi PinkRoxy,

My anxiety is at its worse in the morning; I wake up with a pounding heart and a feeling of impending doom. A few weeks ago it was taking me literally hours between getting out of bed and getting in the shower - I'm improving but it's still hard work. I find that having breakfast fairly soon after getting up helps me - I seem to be a bit calmer once I've had some cereal.

Hopefully your Citalopram will kick in soon but it's definitely worth discussing this with your doctor next time you see them.

Take care :hugs:

PinkRoxy
04-03-13, 21:45
Thanks Sunshine

Im not feeling the best right now its mid morning but I feel like crap and its not a very nice day. My throat is slightly sore and irritated its driving me insane it usually does go away as the day goes on. But I just feel like crawling into a ball :( but Im at course studying so I hope I can feel better soon. I forgot my throaties though which I wish I brought with me.

Im sorry about the anxiety that must be horrible and it is a pain having to get up sometimes and try and push myself to get up and try and feel better.

sandramick
05-03-13, 11:19
I am much worse in the morning i used to go to work at 11am an that was great because i was coming round by then . i am starting new job and it is 8am start i am so scared how i going to do it !!! sounds stupid to normal people just get up an get on with it . i in a right state it bad enought starting a new job but to get up an out so early is absolutley terrifying me
sorry
sandra