PDA

View Full Version : don't like relaxed feeling - feels weird - anyone else?

skoosh1
04-03-13, 12:38
Hi, wondering if anyone else doesn't like the feeling when relaxed and makes them more anxious!!! I know its because I'm so used to being tense and can't relax but when the tension starts easing I just don't like the feeling as if I'm not in control.

Anyone else feel like this & if you do how do you keep relaxed without panicking about the way you are feeling???:weep:

kittikat
04-03-13, 14:50
I used to feel like this. I think it's because when we are experiencing intrusive anxiety our minds and bodies are always on alert for 'danger' which in a way, keeps us in 'control'. We are almost constantly in the 'prepared for fight or flight state'.

In a relaxed state, we are more mentally aware of ourselves, not 'tuned in' to the feeling of impending danger. Therefore we have more time to focus on our every thought and feeling, making us more aware of what is going on with our mind and body. In this 'relaxed' state, we magnify everything within us, not everything happening around us.

It's a bit like constantly checking yourself for anxiety symptoms because it seems so unnatural not to have them when we feel relaxed. Try to stop focusing on yourself when you relax, and stop checking yourself for anxiety. Read a book, watch a good film, occupy your mind with something you enjoy. Takes a bit of practise, but it's worth it if you can.

Good luck! Kitti :)

ruthless
04-03-13, 15:35
It's a bit like constantly checking yourself for anxiety symptoms because it seems so unnatural not to have them when we feel relaxed. Try to stop focusing on yourself when you relax, and stop checking yourself for anxiety. Read a book, watch a good film, occupy your mind with something you enjoy. Takes a bit of practise, but it's worth it if you can

Thats what I try to do with quite a lot of success most of the time. :)