PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect from Citalopram? is there hope?

Jen Sat
04-03-13, 16:41
Hi, I have just been prescribed Citalopram 20mg today as I was very sensitive to Paroxetine and didnt get on with it at all. I have also been screened for Chronic Fatigue and was told that these pills will help with anxiety, depression, sleep, muscle relaxant..seems like a miracle pill. I am concerned about the side effects and want to know how long it will take to feel a positive change, how rough will the inital few weeks be....I guess what I am looking for is some encouragement. I have been feeling rubbish for so long and want to know that there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I have to ask my boss if I can work from home for the next few weeks in anticipation of feeling worse than I do now..... Thanks for reading.

NoPoet
04-03-13, 17:42
Hi, I personally struggled with cit but noticed that it started to break up the worst of my anxiety within about 20 days. I was severely ill and had no ability to comfort or motivate myself in those days, so the fact that cit had any effect at all was a miracle.

If I hadn't been so scared by everything in those days then I'd say the worst was over in 3-4 weeks with the less fearsome but more annoying side effects like shivering disappeared after 6-7 weeks.

If cit doesn't work for you, consider Sertraline which is known for causing fewer and/or less severe side effects than other meds, or if you want the dark horse try Mirtazapine.

Mirt is a strong sedative so you won't be able to do anything except sleep after your dose (obviously it's taken at night) and it massively ramps up your appetite. You may feel more lethargic, noticeably so in mornings, but it is possible to live a normal, active life. Apart from that there are usually no side effects for mirt so it's ideal for people who are too anxious to sleep or who can't tolerate other types of medication. Oh, and mirtazapine is a better antidepressant if you suffer from that.

Sunshine77
04-03-13, 18:11
Hi,

I'm about 6 weeks into Citalopram 20mg now. The side effects for me have been minimal but I'll try and cover them here:

In the first week my anxiety got worse and I felt a little bit sick and had no appetite. There was no change in my sleeping, which had been really poor for a while.

After a couple of weeks I started to feel a bit better in my mood. The panic attacks became less frequent. My appetite came back and I went from not sleeping to feeling completely exhausted all the time.

At some point, maybe around 3-4 weeks, I noticed that I felt completely fuzzy-headed and spaced out. I believe this is normal. I've only just realised whilst typing this that this feeling has gone!

In the last couple of weeks my sleeping has become normal and I'm not as tired during the day, my mood is definitely a long way from where it was although I still feel a little anxious, especially in the mornings.

Basically - it was all manageable. But I know some people report far worse side effects than these. I think everyone's experience is different.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Jen Sat
04-03-13, 18:54
Thanks for your replies, my main problem is the anxiety and all the physical symptoms that come along for the ride. I need to work so cannot afford to be lethargic during the day and definately do not need to eat any more lol (in ref to mirtazapine) so will give Citralopram a try and hope that I can get through the first month. No doubt I will be crying out for help if I am strugging. Thanks guys Jen

steveo
04-03-13, 19:26
I'm a month ahead of you Jen! If you need any help feel free to PM me!! The drug worked wondered for me the first time round!

NoPoet
04-03-13, 21:43
Thanks for your replies, my main problem is the anxiety and all the physical symptoms that come along for the ride.
Then you need to make this your top priority. Learning to reassure yourself leads naturally into being able to encourage and motivate yourself.

Try reading up on Mindfulness. Mindfulness teaches you to react to your experiences with love and compassion rather than fear and regret. It sounds like something hippies do, but it's really all about finding the enjoyment in life and appreciating who you are and what you're going through.

As for mirt, I may have overstated the lethargy thing, but if you need to be active all the time then you're right to give it a miss.

Jen Sat
05-03-13, 16:04
Thanks Stevo, I will PM you. PsychoPoet have you any suggested reading material? Rather than me trawling through Amazon would rather go with a recommended book. is this something you practice and in your opinion does it work?
I took the pill last night, today, I feel a bit spacy and getting the odd palpatation. I have been working from home so that has taken my mind off of 'me'....roll on day 2

jenbo50
05-03-13, 18:06
As long as you accept in can take months to work then Citalopram is brilliant!!! Took me a good 6 months to find the right dosage for me but when i did - wow!! Took me right back to my old self. Stick with it and the side effects, it will be worth it xxxx

steveo
05-03-13, 22:26
That is the hardest thing. The getting worse before you get ready. And often at the time of needing to start taking the tablets, we are normally already at our worst.
What ever happens, don't stop taking them. The starting side effects are not that fun although they don't effect everyone.

southey
05-03-13, 23:02
Be prepared for a possibly unpleasant build up phase when first starting the drug while it gets into your system. Anxiety can increase to almost unbearable levels and side affects are numerous but vary from person to person. Then hopefully and for the majority of users after several weeks of treatment anxiety starts to reduce along with any side affects until you may have little or no anxiety left.

Personally I started at 10 mg then went to 20 after a couple of weeks. Side affects at first were diarrhoea, tingling in my arms and clench jaw , my anxiety peaked and I was a mess for several weeks. After 3-4 weeks the Cit' started to work and I felt my anxiety diminish day on day. I eventually upped to 30 mg hoping for an improvement in my depression and after a month or two was anxiety free plus all side affects were gone, depression has stayed though but is managable.

It's been a year and I'm still anxiety free and I am starting to reduce the dose. Been on 20 mg for a month and still OK. Cit' for me is great for anxiety and gave me my life back. Next Doc's visit will ask if there is anything better for depression while still effective for anxiety?

Yes from your title question there is definitely hope:)

steve

Jen Sat
06-03-13, 17:10
You have all been brilliant, thanks. Day 2 - slept really well, on waking felt queazy/naseous, the longer i stayed in bed the worse i felt. Got up and got on with work. I definately have the clenched jaw, anxiety was more evident today, dry mouth and spaced out but not to the point i cannot concentrate. If this is the level of the side effects then I can cope....but I am only 2 days in so expecting a surge of symptoms. I should have been going away this weekend and have cancelled in anticipation of being knocked for six...

Jen Sat
07-03-13, 17:06
Day 3 - More nauseous today and have only managed to have soup. Anxiety less today but that could be because I have kept myself busy. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow morning with the gp. I have to travel by bus so that will be interesting to say the least.....

Jen Sat
16-05-13, 13:37
I have been on these meds now for over 2 months now and had a period where i was feeling good and now seem to have slipped back a bit, the anxiety has always been present but at different degrees. Went to my GP yesterday and she upped it from 20 to 40mg. I am now worried that I will experience more side effects. I am due to start the new strength today but was wondering if I should do 30 first and then build it up to 40mg rather than jump straight to 40mg. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.