PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - claim ESA or try & work?

Sunshine77
04-03-13, 19:34
Hi All

Hoping for some advice on something that's troubling me a bit.

The story so far...

After having an anxiety/panic breakdown in early Jan I was off work for 6 weeks. Tried to go back on a phased return on 19th Feb, managed 6 days, got worse every day till I was back almost where I started. Quit my job last Tuesday on the grounds of my health.

So...

Since I quit I have felt literally lighter. Some of the comments I have had in the last week: "You look like a different person", "You've got the sparkle back in your eyes" etc. Certainly I've felt more like the old me than I have done for a while. Actually I've realised how long I was ill for prior to the breakdown!

However. I am still very anxious in the morning, sleeping better but not great, edgy/jumpy at anything unexpected and really having to pace myself in terms of dealing with bills and other tasks.

Financially I can't afford not to work for very long, but I don't actually feel well enough to work yet, especially given last week's work situation. But, I don't feel anything like as ill as I did 2 months ago.

I have been told I can get ESA if I go back to the docs and get a note. But I feel like a bit of a fraud doing that, because I don't feel that bad any more. But then again I know that's mainly because I'm not having to deal with the stress of working!

That is my dilemma. Do I get a doctors note and in fact would I even get one?! Looking at myself in the mirror I don't look half as bad as I did when I had a sick note before - what if she thinks I'm trying it on?

Or do I try and get some temping straight away?

Sorry for the length of this post - it's really bothering me and I want honest opinions from all you lovely people please :)

:hugs: to all

Col
04-03-13, 20:20
You've worked bloody hard go and try and claim for ESA! Not as a cop out or fraud or scrounging BUT somehow you need to pay the bills & because it's still early days for you and I suppose you need to stabilise your health and cheack you feel consistantly better, I think you should take your time, job hunt but don't jump into another job and then perhaps be even worse than you have been this new year. Don't put yourself under too much pressure, slow steps to a good recovery.

Takecare XXX

Annie0904
04-03-13, 20:22
I have just left work too and claiming ESA. I think you should. They will end up sending you for an ATOS medical though.

BobbyDog
04-03-13, 20:31
Claiming ESA is quite a lengthy process, the form itself........ the medical examination, the possibility of your claim being turned down, having to appeal against their decision.
If you search the threads on this site you will find a lot of info regarding ESA and the ATOS medical.
It is not straight forward.

If you feel up to a little work, temping is a good idea.

Do you have family you can discuss this with? only yourself and the people closest to you will be able to lead you in the right direction. Also, have a word with your doctor about how you are feeling.

Annie0904
04-03-13, 20:34
I have qualified for ESA and have been put in the working group which means they will help me to get back into suitable work.

Col
04-03-13, 20:57
It doesn't cost anything to try........:winks:

maximus1975
04-03-13, 21:22
i say esa take a bit more time of to get well then try temping

NoPoet
05-03-13, 00:20
Go part-time. It's not as much money but you will pay less or no tax, it gets you out of the house, brings self-respect that you have a job and you'll love walking out after four hours when everyone else is there for the rest of the day. Make sure you let them all know you'll be out enjoying the sun on their behalf! ;)

MattH
05-03-13, 09:40
Might be a perfect time to change career and re-train in something you love to do? (assuming you don't like the career your in)

Could even start up on your own? If it's something you love doing then it might not feel like work and anxiety might be reduced :)

Sunshine77
05-03-13, 10:08
Thanks all.

I've spoken to the benefits people already and am awaiting a letter so we'll see what it says. In the meantime I will go back to the doctor tomorrow & have an honest chat with her. In fairness I think she knows me well enough by now to know that my work ethic is pretty strong. Col you're absolutely right, it's about feeling consistently better and at the moment I don't (today is NOT a good day so far!!)

Matt you're right. There's a career change I've wanted to make for a long time and have never been able to do because the hours I've worked have prevented me from taking any kind of evening course. I can't afford to study full time but whatever I do next, work-wise, I need to make sure it allows me to finish at a reasonable time and start this course.

I don't need to solve it all in a day, I guess!

:hugs: to all

Rennie1989
05-03-13, 10:09
Your health is number one so I recommend going on ESA for a short time (say a couple of months) whilst trying to get yourself better again, then you can wean yourself back into work, either start doing volunteer work or part time work. I hope you're well :)