PDA

View Full Version : Post Filling Pain

Jamesk
05-03-13, 13:51
I went to the dentists last Thursday for a reasonably big filling.

The visit itself was fine, eventually. Dentist gave me two biggish injections right at the back of my mouth near the hinge joint (??) of my jaw. He left it 10 minutes and we chatted and then he said:

Dentist : is your lip numbing yet....
Me : Er no... not at all
Dentist : OK then I'll give you another injection

He whacks in a couple more right at the back by the jaw hinge and another 5 minutes pass.

Dentist : is your lip numbing yet....
Me : Er no... not at all
Dentist : I'll check the xray - oh yes your nreve is unusual as it splits in two and one bits goes an unusual way, I'll give you anotehr couple of injections in a different place.

another 5 minutes - lip nicely numb, tooth drilled, no pain at all, filling done, bish bash bosh jobs a good 'un.

So when the injections wear off I have a reassonable amount of pain in what I will call my "jaw joint" which I assume is bruising from the numnerous injections near it. To be expected, I think.

The thing is 5 days later the dull pain is still there (less so to be fair) in the "jaw joint" and made eating my lunch just now a bit uncomfortable.

Is it reasonable to assume this is still a bit of bruising after 5 days? Just seems a bit long for me.

I haven't yet been able to think of anything life threatening I can convince myself it is, but I am sure I will given time. :unsure::doh:

Annie0904
05-03-13, 14:01
Bruising can take a while to go. As long as it is becoming more bearable each day. I would just take paracetamols

Tessar
05-03-13, 16:25
i definitely think it can be bruising, from having the filling done, your mouth pulled around and of course all those darned injections! sounds like you were very brave James! i have had several attempts to fill a smaller tooth adequately; the filling had to be re-done as the top fell off (deep joy). i am eating on the other side of my mouth as its still sensitive a few days later. mine's been going on for a few months & now i'm just trying not to chew on it at all hard & protect it while it settled. Hopefully yours will settle down soon but I've had a similar issue with the jaw joint feeling qutie still. there's probably some swelling there from the bruising which means its under a bit of pressure maybe.

Jamesk
11-03-13, 11:07
Still aking if anything more accutely 10 days afterwards, in fact it was so bad Saturday I couldn't eat in the evening - can this really still be bruising from the injections???