PDA

View Full Version : Worried for husband

Mikkamakkamoo
05-03-13, 14:49
Hello, can anyone help put my mind at rest?

I do suffer with both heath anxiety and general anxiety. This time I am worried sick about my husband who is currently undergoing investigations for unexplained weight loss. He is 36 and two years ago started to feel a mild aching sensation in the lower-right part of his abdomen. He saw GP at the time who put it down to IBS. At the end of last year the ache radiated to his back and he noticed he had lost weight, 10lbs, without trying. Not sure how long it took to lose that weight but certainly 4lbs in one month. He has a very good appetite and although he has been busy and frustrated at work, he doesn't outwardly suffer from stress. He lost further weight after christmas, following a nasty virus, but then so did I!

He went back to GP, who referred him for blood tests which were all fine, apart from minutely elevated amylase which was back to normal on a repeat blood test. Was then referred for an abdominal ultrasound which was clear but the doc he saw at the hospital wants him to have a CT scan 'just to make sure'. We are waiting for the appointment.

Now, TMI, but his bowel movements are sometimes 'porridgy' and have been for a long time. He hasn't told the docs this :mad: as 'they only asked about recent changes'.

Neither doc seems worried about him. I'm sure that if they suspect cancer he'd be rushed through the system. I just can't get rid of that niggly worm in my ear which is saying it could be cancer. I am irrationally scared about cancer as my father in law died of pancreatic cancer three years ago. I am worried that my husband could have this now.

If that ultrasound was clear, why are they wanting to do a CT scan? is it really just to be thorough? What else could this CT scan see? Is it a good sign that all his blood tests have been clear (inc coeliac test)?

Many thanks for reading, sorry if this is rambly.

Mikkamakkamoo
07-03-13, 16:31
Hi, thanks for your reply, percentage wise he hasn't lost too much as he is a big man, lean but tall.

Can anyone advise re the scans? Xxxxxx

i love tea
07-03-13, 19:20
Hi there, I can't advise about the scans but I'd suggest he tells the doc about the bowel movements. My husband had similar symptoms and has been diagnosed with mild ulcerative colitis. They will probably ask for a stool sample and if it shows there is inflammation they usually do a colonoscopy. Of course, it might not be this at all, but the doc really should know about the bowel changes so they can investigate properly.

Take care x