PDA

View Full Version : Can Diazapam lower moods?

steveo
05-03-13, 19:27
Been taking Diazapam (becoming a prolific poster on this sub thread unfortunately).

Been doing rather low doses for the past 3 weeks. Not every day either but on average 2 x 2mg a day. Sometimes more for a bad day but never more than 10mg in a day at all!

It helps with the anxiety greatly but I find that my mood is very low and have no motivation to do anything. I have a very good reason to be depressed due to this breakdown of anxiety that's been going on for over 2 months but just wondered if the diazapam is maybe adding a bit to my lowered mood?

Sorry for my constant posts.... :) xxx

kittikat
05-03-13, 19:36
I think you may have answered your own question here...

I have a very good reason to be depressed due to this breakdown of anxiety that's been going on for over 2 months but just wondered if the diazapam is maybe adding a bit to my lowered mood?

It is possible that the diaz could contribute to your lack of motivation as you know it can make you feel tired. This would definitely affect your motivation.

My anxiety lead to depression. I would have a chat with your GP about your low mood, anxiety and depression can be very closely linked. Try and make a list of things you enjoy doing or want to do and tick one off each day if you can to lift your mood and help you feel a little better.

Good luck with it all. Kitti :)

steveo
05-03-13, 19:41
Since this breakdown I've been suffering from a bit of agoraphobia so can't really go far. Some days I don't feel too comfortable leaving my bedroom. I seem to have lost enjoyment in everything. I really seem to have very little enjoyment. I just want my days to hurry up.

The weather is cold and grey too which isn't helping. This isn't really a diazapam issue the more I think about this. Probably should of been able to answer my own question before typing this thread and written a different one in the depression forum.

cazzy
05-03-13, 19:46
dont feel sorry for your constant posts , you have the guts and will power to be asking for advice , its an excellent step ..
i was handed out diazepam with repeat prescriptions over 4 years, i just didnt care what doctors give me or what i had to take ,as long as i felt better , but after i was told im an addict and although ive weaned myself off them November i still had to take emergency supplies , once a mnth for the last 3 mnths and anxiety has hit the roof as doctor is reluctant of giving me anymore and to top that week my Dad passed away and im dreading going to the doctors tomorrow to ask for more and review my medication of fluoextine ive taken for 9 years 60mg a day are having any effect on me .....sorry to waffle .... i find diazepam makes me calm , i can take 5mg and within hlf hr i feel relaxed and tired , and less motivated , maybe you feeling tired and worn out with the way you feeling and maybe youre body could be telling you to rest and have some shut eye , maybe you feel better after a kip ..x

steveo
08-03-13, 20:48
I think the new situation is that I believe I'm now addicted to Diazapam. For the last 3 weeks at least, I've been taking at least between 4mg - 6mg a day regularly. Yesterday I didn't take any and very bad things happened which you might be able to see on another thread.

Should I taper off or can I just stop?

ruthless
09-03-13, 11:30
Hi Steve

I know I sent the original post as I was concerned you were taking them to block out how you felt, but please don't just stop them suddenly. Taper off gradually - even if just by a small amount each day. Maybe have a word with your GP about this.
Take care Steve. x

skoosh1
09-03-13, 13:31
I've been on and off 2mg of valium (up to 3 times a day) for the past 6 weeks. I.ve now been given sertraline which I'm hoping is going to hekp my anxiety. I've also got the valium again for a few days till I get this in my system and dread stopping it as it does help my anxiety. What I have been doing though is only trying to take it when really bad and even breaking it in half and quarters so that it will be easier for me

steveo
09-03-13, 14:00
That is a good suggestion skoosh and Ruthless.

I'm just glad I've recognised the possible situation I may be in and can hopefully catch it before it gets out of hand. So I'm no longer going to be taking my morning dose, unless for some reason panic is unbearable. I will be taking just 2mg a day for the next week maybe of an evening to relax me and just maintain that dose in my system. I'll only take another 2mg if panic is really bad but hopefully I don't see that happening.
Then the week after I'll look into cutting down to just 1mg a day or something.

Skoosh - I'm looking at changing SSRI's as Citalopram this time round doesn't seem to be working for me. Are you changing to Sert from another SSRI or is this new for you? I'd be very interested to see how you get on with it! Keep in touch or PM me :)

skoosh1
09-03-13, 14:51
Steveo, I've only been on sertraline for four days & this is the first ssri i have had since prozac 14 years ago!! I'm finding it ok so far. not much side effects at all (hoping stay like this). I'm finding already my anxiety isn't as bad but I don't know if thats as I'm taking small bits of valium also. I don't seem to be dwelling on my symptoms as much and not crying which I was doing everyday. I'll keep you updated if you want. How do I PM you? lol

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Worked it out steveo about the PM lol. Let you know:)

ewood79
09-03-13, 23:34
I'm on lexapro 20mg once a day and Valium when needed. I rarely take it, once a month perhaps. Or if my back muscles are hurting etc. sometimes after like the day after I feel a little emotional.... Sometimes easily sad for a day then it goes. I'm sure this has something to do the the Valium. So I would say yes it does alter moods with a mixture or everything else we are going through...