PDA

View Full Version : Tremor When I Eat?

.Poppy.
05-03-13, 20:59
This is something that started for me in November. I went out to eat with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile, I was nervous, and I noticed when I was eating my soup my hand was shaking a bit. I chalked it up to adrenaline and figured it was just nerves, but naturally my anxiety doesn't work like that.

Then, at Christmas, whenever I was eating salad or corn or something I had to balance on my fork, I had a tremor/shake when I was bringing the food to my mouth. I was a little nervous getting together with family, and no doubt I was also remembering the dinner with my friend but overall it was just awful :(

I've since had ups and downs. There have been a couple of meals where I had no issues whatsoever, and there have been others where I can't even bring the fork to my mouth because I am so afraid I am going to shake and someone will notice.

Here's the kicker, though: It's ONLY with other people present and ONLY in formal (table) settings. If I'm by myself I have no issues with it whatsoever (and I've tested myself by holding my fork at different angles, using a spoon, etc.). It's also not an issue when I'm eating informally with people - like sitting on the couch, etc. But if I think they're watching me eat, it gets tricky.

I've been to the doc for a tremor before and he said nothing was wrong. I'm positive that nothing is wrong here too, but it's in my head and it's driving me crazy. I'm now carefully planning places to eat so that I can eat a sandwich or something while with other people and I don't have to mess with utensils - and this has to stop.

Easter's coming up quickly and we'll be going to my aunt's house and having a sit down meal. I am petrified. I'm currently planning on faking sick just so that I won't have to deal with this.

Advice? Help? It's just so frustrating because I know there's NOTHING wrong but it happens anyway.