PDA

View Full Version : Endoscopy - very scared!

Rls1994
06-03-13, 02:04
Hi all.

So I've got to have an endoscopy at the end of this month and yes, I'm scared to death. Just like I am with all medical tests.. :doh: Well, besides blood tests now. :yesyes:

Anyway... I have a lot of questions regarding the endoscopy..

1. Is it painless?
2. How long is the procedure?
3. Will I gag/choke or be sick during it? I have emetopbobia (fear of vomiting) and scared to death that I will gag like crazy or be sick.
4. Do they make you wear a gown or anything? I don't like wearing clothes that other people have worn, especially in hospitals.
5. If I take a parent with me, am I allowed out of the hospital straight away even though I was sedated?
6. How do they sedate you? By injection? If so, where on your body?
And finally, 7. What symptoms can you have after the procedure? I.e sore throat etc.

Thanks in advance!! :hugs:

joy
06-03-13, 09:49
You can be sedated or not depends on what you want, they spray the back of your throat with a numbing spray what ever.It only takes 5-10mins you wont gag especially if you are sedated, You stay in your own clothes and if you have sedation you have to have someone with you for 24 hours Cant remember what they use to sedate you
No after effects

Hope this helps

Joy

Rls1994
07-03-13, 09:42
Thank you Joy! That's very helpful information. :D

Arnie365
08-03-13, 07:54
Hi rls, I'd echo what Joy says mostly.

I had mine with just the throat spray as needed to drive the next day and you can't for 24hrs after sedation. Throat spray tastes of bananas. It was painless going down though did make me gag ever so slightly but you can't be sick because you have to fast for at least 6 hours before you have it done so your stomach is empty so don't worry about being sick. If you have the sedation I don't think you will gag at all.

It takes about 5-10 minutes all in. You stay in your own clothes.

I think if you are sedated you have to be taken to the recovery room to come round before you can go as whilst I was waiting there were family members sat in the waiting room and they were being called through to say "she's come round now do you want to come through" etc.

I did have a sore throat for about 24 hrs afterwards but it was more scratchy than anything and it didn't stop me eating or drinking.

It's really not that bad. Relax! :hugs:

Liviguy
08-03-13, 21:12
I had one in August last year. I was so stressed in the waiting room they were going to send me home again. I went through with it with sedation which was administered through a cannula in my arm. I remember them putting a green mouth piece in my mouth and then I remember waking up in the recovery room. I had absolutely no idea about what had just happened. I also had a colonoscopy at the same time.

I left hospital wondering what the heck I was so worried about, and believe me, for someone like me that is very unheard of.

Rls1994
09-03-13, 20:30
Thank you Arnie and Liviguy! That's given me so much encouragement. :hugs:By the way, I have another question.. I take my medication in the morning, so should I take it when I get back from my endoscopy instead?

Arnie365
10-03-13, 07:38
Depends what time your endoscopy is. As long as you fast for 6 ours before you are ok so if you in the morning then yes wait until you get back. If afternoon scope you should be fine.

The other thing I was told was to stop taking my ranitidine for about a week before because medication for stomach issues could obviously mask any symptoms such as inflammation. I'm not sure how accurate this was as it didn't say this in the leaflet that came with my appointment booking but was a nurse over the phone when I booked it. Might be worth checking

Lilharry
17-03-13, 11:18
I had a gastroscopy - which i assume is the same thing? The one down your throat into your stomach... I was terrified of having it beforehand. I opted for no sedation. They made me go first (there were about 10 people having it done that day). The nurses were so lovely and they explained what would happen etc. I was still terrified, but I went through it anyway. The sprayed the back of my throat, which was a bit strange but nothing to be frightened of. The the tube went in and the whole procedure was over in about 5 minutes. It got a little bit uncomfortable when they put the air in, but then you just let out a big burp and it's all over. I felt a million bucks after I'd done it and when I went back to the waiting room I told all the other people there that there was nothing to worry about and they'd be fine! I am the biggest baby ever when it comes to medical stuff, so if I can do it, anyone can.

mrsnobody
17-03-13, 18:25
Hi all.

So I've got to have an endoscopy at the end of this month and yes, I'm scared to death. Just like I am with all medical tests.. :doh: Well, besides blood tests now. :yesyes:

Anyway... I have a lot of questions regarding the endoscopy..

1. Is it painless?
3. Will I gag/choke or be sick during it? I have emetopbobia (fear of vomiting) and scared to death that I will gag like crazy or be sick.
4. Do they make you wear a gown or anything? I don't like wearing clothes that other people have worn, especially in hospitals.
5. If I take a parent with me, am I allowed out of the hospital straight away even though I was sedated?
And finally, 7. What symptoms can you have after the procedure? I.e sore throat etc.

Thanks in advance!! :hugs:

1) its not painful, its more uncomfortable but you have a choice of throat numbing spray or sedative and spray together. ive had it done twice ( one of each ways)

2) it was roughly 15/20 mins including doctor talking to me. the camera bit doesnt take that long.

3) i vomit alot but i didnt vomit nor did i get a feeling of vomiting

4) i wore a gowned bout i was a hospital inpatient, they are very understanding. i would phone them before had and explain the situation and your worrys. a nurse is with you throughout the camera to help/put your mind at rest.

5) you have to wait afterwards roughly 30mins. you get a drink and toast while waiting

6) sedation is through a canula in the back of your hand ( thats where mine was)

7) passsing wind, my throat was ok

everyone is different but my experiance was ok. if you have any concerns phone and speak to them before hand as they where very happy to put my mind at rest. hope this helps

almamatters
17-03-13, 18:56
1. Is it painless?

Hi
1. I found endoscopy to be painless, I was not sedated so it was a bit of a strange sensation , but relatively ok.
2. Actual camera bit took about 10 mins.
3. I did not get a choking, gagging sensation during the procedure.
4. I had to wear a gown, but I was having a colonoscopy at the same time.
5. Not sure about this one as I was not sedated, but I was told that you have to wait about 25 mins after the procedure.
6. I had a canula put in the back of my hand in case they needed to use sedation, but I was fine without it.
7. I did not have any symptoms after the procedure, just the taste of the throat spray (bananas)

I am an extremely nervous person around hospitals etc and thought I was going to have a lot of problems, but I was fine.

Rls1994
17-03-13, 21:38
Hi, thank you all for the replies. I'm still going to go for sedation as I'm scared to death of gagging anyway. Plus, I don't work so it's not like I have to drive or anything the next day. I'm going to take some food and drink with me to have afterwards 'cause I hate eating and drinking stuff that hospitals provide.

owlkeeper
28-03-13, 00:40
Don't know if you had the endoscopy yet, but I'm scheduled for one on friday and had one a couple of years ago too. Of course I'm always freaking out before medical procedures but that is just me.

The one I had a couple of years ago went really well. I was sedated with dormicum (makes you sleepy and relaxed, some patients fall asleep others just get really mellow) and only recall the part where I got sedated, and one part where an xray was taken (I got contrast fluid injected into my bile ducts). The rest is blank until I woke up. And even that I don't remember to well but I remember my friend visiting me that afternoon.

I had zero pain or discomfort from it.

Rls1994
29-03-13, 03:24
Hiya owlkeeper,

Mine has been delayed to 1st May so I've still got another month yet. Thank you for sharing your experience with it though! It really helps and encourages me even more.

joy
29-03-13, 09:44
Its not as bad as you imagine

Joy