PDA

View Full Version : Hereditary Transmission

Buitenlander
10-09-06, 22:59
Hi all,

I wanted to ask about people's experiences regarding the above.

My Father has suffered terribly from a Panic Disorder all of his life and has never arrived at a solution, he has now passed into OCD. You will appreciate that this has had a huge impact on our family.

I have also been diagnosed with P/D and on reflection I have had this since I was a kid. Its taken quite a few years into adulthood to actually get my situation sorted.

I'm now worried that if I have kids at some point that I might pass it onto them.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had a similar experiences ?

Thx in advance,
Michael.

trevor
11-09-06, 08:36
hi,,

i would not try to worry about your children,
i personally dont think it is heredatry ,,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

groovygranny
11-09-06, 21:16
My mother has suffered from Anxiety and Panic Disorder since I was five years old (I'm nearly 52). I grew up thinking nothing was that much out of the ordinary and so just accepted that my mum didn't do the things with me that I saw my friends do with their mothers. But when I asked questions I was never given an explanation and always told 'We don't talk about it because it will upset mum'. It's only since last year that I've realised that's probably why I went AWOL recently - because we never talked about it and therefore she never sought or received help (not that there was much back then).

I agree with Trevor, inasmuch as I think the effects of PD in a parent can influence your life without being directly 'passed on' genetically. I think the very fact that you are here on NMP shows that your children stand a very good chance of NOT being affected adversely!

Take Care!

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

EllieF
14-09-06, 00:06
Definitely hereditary in my case -- my dad suffered from almost exactly the same problems...

ksmith
14-09-06, 18:22
My mother suffered from what she called (in those old days) "bad nerves" and spent about 20 years on valium. I now suffer from p/d or 'bad nerves' - I'm not saying this is hereditary as I'm no geneticist but it could be ...... on the other hand it could be a behaviour I have learned from her??? Interestingly, one of my kids is starting to display anxiety type behaviour and I feel so guilty about it.

Kay

Insomniac
14-09-06, 21:46
Hi Michael

Not sure I can help with this one. My little girl is a bit of a worrier (I always have been to even before anxiety). I wonder if I pass my nervous behaviour onto her. But I don't think the illness itself goes too. At least I hope not!!

Though they do say depression is more likely if a parent has had it. My mum had depression and so have I. I think trying to hide the depression and worry because of social insecurity brought about my panic attacks. So is depression linked with anxiety?

Lisa.

Meg
18-09-06, 14:43
Where does it come from? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1858)

COULD ME SON HAVE THE SAME AS ME ? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5208)

There is proof that the incidence within close blood relatives is higher than with friends etc

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress