PDA

View Full Version : hacked off (I work full-time for goodness sake)!

mad_hatter
11-09-06, 07:38
Hi Guys

I'm really p****d off at the moment. I was referred to a counsellor from my doctor and waited months for the referral to come through. Then when I go for my assessment the counsellor tells me each session needs to be an hour and she can only do it during working hours. BUT I WORK FULL-TIME!!! I have an hour for my lunch break so if I had my session then I basically wouldn't have time for lunch and would be late back to work. The counsellor is not keen to reduce the session down to 45 minutes. I do not want to ask my boss for an extra half hour unpaid on my lunch because it unreasonable.

So basically I need to do something that is in the evening. The consellor said during my assessment that there is someone who could do the sessions at 5pm but she is in a different town and could only offer counselling - not CTB as well.

I'm really hacked off because I've waited months for this referral and they can't give me the help i need whilst I work full-time. Surely they must get people who work full-time and need the same help I do??? I cant beleive I have had to wait months for this assessment only to be told they cant fit me in in the evening. :(

Argh!

nomorepanic
11-09-06, 08:33
Hi there

I work full-time and am having CBT at the moment as well. If I go straight from home then I can be there in about 35 minutes but if I go from work then I am out of the office for nearly 3 hours including the 50 minute session as it takes me nearly an hour to get to Cambridge from work.

To begin with I took a day's holiday and told them I would use that time as and when I needed to - so taking 2 hours from it at a time if I needed to.

Then I started working through my lunch-hours for a few days prior to going to CBT or staying late at night.

Someone at work told me I shouldn't have to do all this and I was entitled to go for the appointment and not make the time up. It would be no different if someone had to go for a hospital appointment once a week for example.

So now I don't make the full 3 hours up - I probably make up about 1.5 hours of it by working through lunch.

Perhaps you could ask your HR department at work about you doing this as well. Or, as I said offer to work through lunch on a couple of other occasions or stay late one night.

You shouldn't miss out on this just because of work - I am sure you can work something out with them.

Nicola

missacorah
11-09-06, 12:01
Couldnt you get a letter from your doctor or cbt counsellor? You cant miss out on this! Also you dont want to associate the cbt with the negative feelings of worrying about your appointments. I would try and get a letter to say this is a medical appointment not you trying to get out of work! Good luck - hope you get it sorted!

hayles
11-09-06, 12:34
Same happened to me.
I had to ask work for an extra half hour lunch and had to say why etc, they werent eactly impressed but they had to honour it or they would look bad!!!!!

Hay x

Coni
11-09-06, 18:10
hi

I'm going through the same thing. I just found out today that I've finally (after 7 months) got an appointment to see the clinical psychologist through occupational health. The first appointment lasts approx 1.5 hours and is in adifferent town about 30 mins each way if traffics good. i dont really want to use my holidays as I need to use that for childcare sometimes. But I'm also reluctant to explain such a chunk out of my day as I've just started in my post and dont know if I want to go into detail with virtual strangers (also they might then regret employing me). I dont know what the answer is but I can totally understand your frustration.

Good luck

Coni x

Hangtough
11-09-06, 19:48
You're entitled to the time off and they have to be seen as supporting you or you could put in a complaint. I know it'll be hard asking for the time off, but it's in your best interest to get well, and in your employers interest too.

Good luck
Hangtough

roberto
12-09-06, 12:29
Hangtough is right.

It is not unreasonable to ask for an extended lunch break at all. You dont really need to tell your boss exactly why, just that is a medical appointment, which cannot be done at another time. Obviously you say you will make the time up, and then just make it look like you did!.

rob

mad_hatter
12-09-06, 20:52
Hi Guys, thank you very much for all your responses :) I'll let you know what happens!