PDA

View Full Version : Need to have a mole removed...

Anxiety Jim
06-03-13, 18:57
Hi,

I went to my GP today, because I was told to return after a month if my growing, bumpy, freckly was still itchy... it is.

My GP took a look at it through a magnifying glass thing, like they use to look in ears. And she's going to either refer me to a dermatologist or they might remove the freckle/mole at my local GP surgery, and then send it off for analysis. They have a meeting between all the GP's on Fridays to talk about referrals and decide what to do together.

She said she wants to refer me because of it's size, that it's slightly raised, it's rough, and I have very pale skin and red hair.

I'm now terrified that it must be cancer. I'm not sure whether it's melanoma or non-melanoma, but as far as I'm aware melanoma is more common in younger people (I'm 24). Which is the serious type of skin cancer! She did say that she doesn't think it will be anything serious, but was worried enough to have me referred, which is enough to send me into blind panic!

I was so worried about all this cancer talk, I didn't even mention my chest pain I've been having when exercising the last few months, I just wanted to get out of there. Now I'm in the process of convincing myself that I've got skin cancer as well as an undiagnosed heart condition.

:weep:

Ella13
06-03-13, 19:39
Hiya - I actually got a mole removed at hospital a few years ago. It was pretty much the size of a 5 pence piece and it had jagged edges, was really itchy, dark around the edges, bumpy - basically all the warning signs they give you to tell you to get it removed. Im also really pale with really fair strawberry blonde hair and whenever i went on holiday i was really paranoid about it as it was on my hip so i always used to cover it with a plaster.

As long as you havent exposed it to the sun and have looked after it there's no chance you will have contracted melanoma, unfortunately i had first hand of this as my brother died of skin cancer after exposing a mole he didnt really realise he had to the sun for a full month whilst away on holiday (he rarely used any SPF and never covered it) he never went to the doctor about it so being referred is not a bad thing its the best precaution.

Its weird you mention the heart condition thing I'm 24 aswell and am convinced i have an undiagnosed heart condition also i have so many symptoms at the moment its rubbish :( I get so many pains in my chest and the doctor wont do anything about it!

Anxiety Jim
07-03-13, 02:43
Hi Ella,

How did you find the actual removal? Was it painful? Did the doctor tell you right away what he thought it did you have to wait for it to be tested?

I'm convinced that I've got angina, exercise and even just walking up stair and bending down gives me a tight chest pain. I've had about 6 ECG's in the last 5 years, all normal, so I doubt my gp will do anything anyway besides give my heart a listen.

Jim

Justinf
07-03-13, 02:51
I live in the country that has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, so I know a bit about it.
You've done the right thing in getting it checked. Skin cancer has a 97% cure rate when treated early and IF (and I say IF) yours in cancerous, then you're getting it treated early.
I had a lump removed from my calf last year and it turned out to be a calcium build up. It's done under a local anesthetic and it's painless and will only inconvenience you for a few days.

Ella13
07-03-13, 10:28
Hiya the removal was painless I had a local anesetic injected and was awake whilst they removed it but all I felt was a small tug. It only took about 2 minutes and went home straight after. I can't remember how long I had to wait for the results this was about 6 years ago now! I remember my mum was always worried about it but I was hesitant to get it removed as I hate needles/operations but I'm so thankful she forced me to get it taken off now after what happened to my brother. It only took one doctors visit for them to refer me and then I think I was on the waiting list for a couple of months. I'm sure you'll be fine you've done the right thing by going back!! X

Anxiety Jim
07-03-13, 16:31
Thank you both for explaining.

I'm not afraid of local anaesthetic, so I'm glad it will be that. I am scared of general anaesthetic because I'm morbidly obese, so I hope it doesn't come to that if it is cancer and it has spread.

Talking of it spreading I'm worried that if it turns out to be skin cancer then it will definitely have already spread. I first noticed the itching mole about 4 months ago, so I'm sure that's plenty of time for it to have spread to other organs :-(

I really hope I don't have to wait too long to find out what I'm having done. The doctors aren't even going to discuss my referral until tomorrow. :-(

Bartleby
08-03-13, 07:38
I'm at high risk, as I have hundreds of moles, and it's hard work keeping up with them!

I've had two moles removed in my local surgery, just in case. Both came back negative. The procedure was absolutely fine, as Ella said, under local anesthetic. As long as you take care of your stitches you should barely even notice it was there in a few months time.
I also had a mole that itched for a couple of months, which then went away again, sometimes things can irritate them and it takes them a while to calm down again.

You're doing the right thing getting it sorted early.