PDA

View Full Version : When is it safe to drink alcohol after coming off Diazepam?

Catherine84
07-03-13, 19:12
Hello,

I posted on the Panic Attacks thread about a week and a half ago about anxiety relating to a constant awareness of my breathing.

The last week, I have been feeling much more myself thankfully (largely due to some very helpful advice and reassurance from people on here, which I really appreciate, and a couple of further therapist visits) and have managed, on the doctor's recommendation to gradually come off the Diazepam I was taking. As some of you know, I was on 15mg daily about two weeks ago. This has been gradually reduced until yesterday I only took 4mg, and today I am aiming to only take 2mg (I didn't want to go 'cold turkey' straight away in case the side effects were bad). Tomorrow I am going to try and go without completely.

My family usually have a little red wine with their meal at the weekend (on Saturday and Sunday) and I would really fancy a glass, as I have missed it. I spoke to the doctor and they said as long as you wait 24 hours after your last dose before drinking, you should be ok. However, I have heard that the drug stays in your system long after the therapeutic effects wear off, and horror stories of people stopping breathing in their sleep when the two are mixed (it is also the worry I was still on quite a high dose just a few days ago).

Obviously I trust the doctor and her advice - just wanted to ask of other's experiences with coming off the drug and alcohol as I am such a worrier - for some reassurance really!

Thanks in advance :)

Catherine84
10-03-13, 12:03
Had one glass last night with my meal and some water and seemed to be ok (it was 48 hours after my last dose), so think it was just me being a worrier after all! :)

BobbyDog
10-03-13, 12:35
Hey Catherine, As you have done, one glass of wine should be okay especially with a meal. I think they probably mean don't overdo it, or go on a weekend bender.lol.x

Catherine84
11-03-13, 03:19
Thanks BobbyDog, that's reassuring to know. I think I was also worried that one glass would go to my head quickly, having not had any alcohol for a couple of weeks (I am not usually a heavy drinker, and therefore a bit of a lightweight!), but I seemed to be ok :) x