PDA

View Full Version : What hobbies & interests do people have?

Sunshine77
08-03-13, 21:49
Another thread just got me thinking.... what sort of hobbies & interests do you have that help you to get distracted from your anxiety?

I used to do all sorts of things like playing the piano, taking various night classes (from salsa to cake decorating via Buddhism and conversational Italian!) but over the last few years they've all dropped off and I feel like I need something to get enthusiastic about again!

Be great to know what helps you :)

Serenitie
08-03-13, 21:54
Costume & jewellery design, vintage fashion, art, photography, new experiences / trying something new, massage, yoga, camping & travel :) (I love salsa dancing too! :yesyes:)

Tessar
08-03-13, 22:00
Cycling.....when I can be bothered (that sounds terrible), music.... Listening to, playing the piano...., Playing with the cat (she's a nutter), reading self-help books (they reiterate the skills I learned in therapy & give me reassurance)

Annie0904
08-03-13, 22:19
Holistic therapies, reading, genealogy, making soaps and bath fizzers, Spending time with family :)

BubblegumUK
08-03-13, 23:17
Relaxation, learning about/collecting crystals and minerals, photography, writing, storm/wave watching, making your home really chilled out, ghost hunting, stargazing...many others but im tired lol

AuntieMoosie
08-03-13, 23:24
I like....

Knitting

Crochet

Gardening...just planning now and have sown some seeds already, we have a communal garden here but it's just me and my neighbour that looks after it, it's our little haven :D

Researching my family tree

computer graphics

Reading (when I feel able)

Documentary's

Anything to do with animals:D all animals, apart from snakes and worms:scared15:

I'm planning to hopefully learn quilting and patch work soon too.

Candy6
08-03-13, 23:39
Walking the dogs, going to the gym (I used to hate the gym but they started a new class which I joined and have made new friends which is great - helps with my anxiety too), reading (when I have time).

lindadiana
08-03-13, 23:47
making babies....lol reborn baby dolls

Panic Manic
09-03-13, 06:20
Gamming, web-design, singing, playing guitar...

saro
09-03-13, 10:20
I love to go swimming and running. I go at least 4 times a week, it helps to keep my mind focused and my heart healthy :)

Col
09-03-13, 10:22
I like....

Knitting

Crochet

Gardening...just planning now and have sown some seeds already, we have a communal garden here but it's just me and my neighbour that looks after it, it's our little haven :D

Researching my family tree

computer graphics

Reading (when I feel able)

Documentary's

Anything to do with animals:D all animals, apart from snakes and worms:scared15:

I'm planning to hopefully learn quilting and patch work soon too.

Ahhhh auntie Moosie, I love crochet, your the only one that's put it , I was going to write it but thought no because i get the impression people sometimes thinks its for grandmas . Im only 31?????
BUT you've put it SO....... yep I absolutly love it and not to be boastfull, I'm quite good at it. I made 4 5X5cm ish, purses for my daughters Christmas fair at school, they had little bows and flowers on in the corners! I thought she'd sell them for 50p :ohmy: more like £2 each!!!!! I was horrified, she told me which mum had bought them and I thought - I hope she doesn't feel ripped off by my daughter. But Mia said - the minute they put their goods out the women came up and immediately picked them up and gave £6 for them! I thought maybe she was just being kind , until my daughter then said - someone who saw them came back to ask if someone had bought them and if they had anymore!:ohmy:

I also like you love, documentaries, adore flowers , geaneology, wildlife and would love to master patch work.
Also astronomy and music - my favorites!

I have a beautiful shop down my road that has fabrics for quilting and would love to learn how to do it. I'm put off because I don't have a sewing machine. I'd hand stitch motifs BUT the quilt I'd really need a machine XXXXXX

Lissa101
09-03-13, 10:28
Reading, dog walking, and horse riding. Haven't been able to get in the saddle for nearly a year now because of anxiety which really gets me down as its a lifetime hobby and I miss it so much xxx

reddevil
09-03-13, 10:45
I like to walk or do some work in the garden, which helps with my anxiety but its not as easy in the winter.

simms
09-03-13, 11:34
Playing video games. Provides a great distraction as you can sometimes be absorbed by the world you are playing in and forget about real life for a while.

gregcool
09-03-13, 12:48
I go to the gym 4 days per week, and I go kayaking up the Olympic course in Essex twice per month..

Magic
09-03-13, 13:19
I like reading, i am reading "John" written by his first wife Cynthia Lennon
I am knitting a poncho at the moment which is taking me for ever.
I like crochet, but can only do simple things
I like doing tapestry,but it is a bit expensive now,and I like making things
for the home.
I love decorating the house.
I am thinking of joining a gym this summer
I envy anyone who can play the piano:)

Sunshine77
10-03-13, 08:57
Thanks everyone, it's lovely reading the diverse things we all do to relax.

I'm going to crack on with the garden this week, we moved into a new build house last summer and the garden is just turfed so I need to get the spade out and start creating something interesting! I'm just struggling with motivation since my breakdown.

I've also been threatening to take sewing classes for a while but I don't have a machine. I'd love to be able to make things for the home... perhaps I can pick something up second hand.

All I seem to be doing at the moment is reading (great escape from reality), baking / cooking, walking and selling stuff on ebay! Not exactly a rounded set of hobbies...

Crochet and knitting, wow, I have admiration for anyone who has the patience! I remember my mum trying to teach me both of these things when I was a kid and me just not being interested at all!

Hope you all have a lovely day :hugs: