PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism & chest pains

twinflame94
08-03-13, 23:27
I would really love some reassurance with this if anyone is able to help.. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism yesterday, which I actually thought was Fibromyalgia.. But being that it's not that, it would explain my symptoms: always tired, achy muscles/joints, depression, etc. But I've started getting chest pains last night and my heart was racing! It hurts right now too, yet it wasn't like this all day. But I want to know if this is normal under the circumstances? My left armpit is swollen, around that area is very tender to touch, and my veins on my chest are so apparent that it kinda freaks me out..

Panic Manic
09-03-13, 06:17
Not even close here. What all did your doctor say? Did he give you a treatment plan for it? What were your levels at?

hypothyroidism - underactive thyroid, is a condition in which the thyroid gland, which supplies hormones to keep the metabolism in working order, is not functioning properly.

I have Grave Disease (sorta like this, and possibly what you'll be diagnosed with) Don't worry it's treatable with medications and cared!!! Stop freaking out, as your doctor know what he is doing :-) Anything I think you should no matter what share with your doctor to look over.

For hypothyroidism some of the symptoms you are right on about them. Declining mental health can be a sign of physical health problems.

The swelling could be because the hormone balance problem or if you already started medication.

Hope your doing okay, and please keep us updated.

saro
09-03-13, 10:08
I suffer with this and its such a draining condition it can take the life out of you.

When I exercise my muscles feel like they have had a good beating and I have to allow myself a longer recovery time.

As panic manic said it affects the metabolism and leaves us with very little energy to function on therefore we become extremely weak, achy and tired. The thyroxine will help to build this back up but you will need to give them some time.

Try to rest as much as you can in between your daily tasks.

If you need a chat about it, you can always pm me :)

twinflame94
10-03-13, 03:44
Thank you so much for your replies, both of you!

Panic Manic; My levels are at 7.56. And I was told that it was supposed to make you gain weight, but I am incredibly skinny, always have been. I'm 19 years old weighing in between 90 & 95 lbs. I have had depression back in 2011 and I lost weight. But I put some back on this past summer, but once I started getting anxiety attacks, I lost all that weight! I was about 100lbs. I do have a fast metabolism, so maybe that's why I haven't gained any weight? But I haven't had chest pains today. My doc only told me I have an underactive thyroid and I was low on vitamin D.. but I don't think that is supposed to make me have such bad chest pains.. My doctor wants me to come in on Tuesday to check for any lumps/bumps before setting me on any medication.

Saro; It is incredibly draining! I had such a terrible brain fog earlier, I couldn't think straight, I was incredibly tired. I had to take a nap! Does your neck hurt sometimes with these issues too, by your thyroid? Along with tension in the shoulder/neck area? Because I have that [tension] and it hurts so much!

And my scalp is so ichy and dry, with a little bit of redness[from itching?]. Not even shampooing it helps.. Is there a certain shampoo that could help with that though?

JaneC
10-03-13, 10:53
Twinflame, yes, hypothyroidism can cause chest pains. The issues you are experiencing should resolve themselves once you are put on thyroxine.

saro
10-03-13, 11:29
I get severe neck stiffness and I also get the pain, its very uncomfortable and can get really bad. I also get very dry and itchy scalp. These are all symptoms of hypothyroidism. Just got to try and manage them as best as we can. I use coconut oil on my scalp once a month and this helps a little bit with the dryness.

I also have to nap in the daytime sometimes when I am feeling really bad. The thyroxine will ease some of these symptoms but I guess they are just something we have to learn to live with and manage ourselves as best as we can.

twinflame94
10-03-13, 18:10
Jane; thank you, that helps loads! As long as I know it's normal under the circumstances makes me feel better about them!

Saro; Thank you! I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this, although I'm sorry you have to go through them! I'm glad to be working three hour shifts this week, because I know I'll be so exhausted by the time I'm done! And naps have been my best friend the past few months. I confused it with fibromyalgia, which I heard hypo can be confused with that. I may try coconut oil...do you know what sort of stores they can be found at, although you live in the UK?

But thank you both for your responses! This helps me so much! :hugs:

saro
10-03-13, 22:12
Twin

Try amazon or ebay im pretty sure they will have it online somewhere as im not familiar with american stores sorry. I live in the uk and I got it from a beauty therapy warehouse outlet. :hugs: