PDA

View Full Version : MS, thyroidopathy, etc

joelhall
09-03-13, 14:54
Hi folks.
So the medical professionals after reviewing my symptoms and signs, have decided I probably don't suffer from anxiety and panic after all, except during periods of intense physical symptoms. First up will be blood tests for thyroid function which seems unlikely to me, although I do display a few signs of hyperthyroidism. However it's been explained to me that getting a neurology referral without ruling out endocrine/biochemistry causes first is damn near impossible in our NHS region.
Next is going to be the neurologist referral, to have testing carried out for multiple sclerosis. I feel a lot less stressed now that something is finally moving in the right direction, and with the GP agreeing that many of the symptoms just do not fit with anxiety disorders (like unilateral spasms/rigidity and bouts of slight colour blindness, etc).
I'm feeling a lot more positive now that I'm no longer being fobbed off with 'well this is a sign of anxiety'. In fact looking forward to the diagnosis if it happens as knowing why these things happen, even without any confirmation, is making it so much easier to deal with already.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else suffered from MS or neuropathy, and how it's affected your mood and anxiety since finding out that there is a definite cause after all?

Joel

JaneC
10-03-13, 00:44
I don't want to bring you down Joel but try not to get hung up on the fact that you are being sent for tests. I know what it's like to "want" to have a treatable condition - in my case when I had ME - and it's a terrible comedown when you think you have found an answer and you haven't.

It's also worth remembering that it is quite common for people with thyroid disease, and those with MS, to suffer from mental health problems such as anxiety and depression.

I guess I'm saying be careful what you wish for - but I do hope things work out for you :hugs:

PanchoGoz
10-03-13, 01:36
Could be something vague like temporal lobe epilepsy as well. I think Jane gave a very sensible outlook there. They might not find anything at all, in which case it most probably is anxiety.

joelhall
18-03-13, 20:44
Thanks for the replies. Yes, epilepsy was briefly a concern but given the symptoms seems very unlikely.. It's much more likely neurological in my view, and GP and lecturers (med student at UCL). I'll keep you all posted :-)
PR

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Ah don't worry Jane, I'm not that worried about what it is really, just fed up with being fobbed off with anxiety after having been told by therapists, CBT practitioners, etc that they've never heard of anxiety or panic resembling anything like this. Ironically I'm laid back, deal with most things thrown at me and pretty good at controlling fear

joelhall
11-04-13, 14:57
So quick update. My bloods showed a very low B12 level (hypocobalaminaemia for us nerds), luckily without anaemia or and change in RBC size. Seems it's gone on so long there's an issue of demyelination anyway. This isn't due to lack of intrinsic factor though my my ulcerative colitis. Add that to insulin hypersensitivity and it's no wonder I felt a little below par. Until I receive my injections next week, I'm taking a 20,000% rda B12 supplement which is helping. In fact I have much more energy now. However I'm finding it hard to use my right leg and hand still and my eye isn't great. I have been warned the neural damage/fibric sclerosis will likely be permanent, but at least I now know what's wrong with my body.
So good news overall :-)

PanchoGoz
11-04-13, 15:48
Thanks for getting back to us. Mostly gobledegook to me but as long as it's good news, best of luck :D
I wonder how one gets so low in one vitimin?

joelhall
11-04-13, 16:00
With B12, assuming the patient isn't vegan, the cause is mostly malabsorption. In the case of pernicious anaemia this is due to lack of intrinsic factor being produced in the stomach, vastly reducing the ability to absorb it. In my case due to the ulcers which form in my intestines, there's a reduced ability to absorb nutrients and so far less is taken up. B12 deficiency is quite serious sadly, although without anaemia usually not fatal in the long term. Moral of the story, eat proper food. And don't have autoiimmune bowel disease hehe.

PanchoGoz
11-04-13, 17:35
Sorry to hear you've had a rough time if it, I hope you make a good recovery.

joelhall
11-04-13, 17:57
Ah I'm sure I'll be as sexy as always until my body finally gives up the ghost hehe. Cheers ;-)