PDA

View Full Version : Ddcoo tongue cancer update 5

Ddcoo
09-03-13, 16:11
Here I am again with update of week 5 of radiation and then next week I am on the home run with only 6 more radiation treatments.
Last week was a bit hard and due to the chemotherapy on top of the radiation my energy levels hit rock bottom and I honestly don't know where I got the strength from to walk from the car park to the hospital. I was holding on to anything from the rails inside the car park lift to leaning against doors. This lasted for two days. I had no appetite. Thank goodness for a seat in the shower as I was able to sit down while I washed my body and hair, so at least I can say I didn't smell, I had to see the nurse on Wednesday as they check you over every week and see if you have any problems. I have lost more weight 2 and a half stone now, but that is to be expected. I had lost some weight the week before, so to try and pull the wool over their eyes I put my purse in my hoodie pocket to try and add a pound or so, I hope that the nurse does not read this or I will be in trouble next week lol!

I saw the radiology doctor on Friday and he said he was very pleased with my progress, so all I have to do now is stick it out for another week and then a couple of weeks after that I should start to recover.

My left arm where my tongue was taken from is now healing well, and the graft from my stomach has finally stopped scabbing up and is healing nicely too. My neck which was cut from ear to half way under my chin is very hot and red and I look like a tub of lard where the cream is being slapped on all the time, but this is to stop the skin from splitting open.

All in all I am OK, getting hungry again which is a very good sign, so after the treatment I will soon put weight back on again. Got a wardrobe of clothes that hang on me at the moment. Look like a scarecrow!!

Again, thank you all for last weeks messages and as always they are very much appreciated and mean an awful lot to me.

I will catch up with you again next weekend and again after the final treatment on Monday 18th March.

Look after yourselves all of you.

cattia
09-03-13, 16:19
Hey Di, well done, you're on the homeward strait now, not long to go!! It's great that you're starting to get your appetite back, maybe you can start to stock up on treats that you'll be able to enjoy again once it all settles down. I'm not surprised you've been feeling so tired and weak after all that your body has been through, but soon enough your energy will start to come back and you can plan some nice things to do. You've been so brave so far and I know you will continue to be. I know a lot of us here think of you often and keep sending you all our good vibes!

Tessar
09-03-13, 16:20
Ddcooooooo ......the post I have been waiting for all week.... So good to hear from you..... Listen to you trying to pull the wool as well. That made me chuckle. You do cheer me up with your posts, i like reading them, serious though they are. oh and the description of yourself too that also made me chuckle. You most definitely are the bravest lady ever. I admire your strength and resilience. Like you say about not know how you did it...... But you did.... Amazing. Your post has made my day kind lady, it's good to hear from you. A tear in the old eyes because I am happy for you.
We r away in Devon, just got here. Gonna take a walk to the rocks....yipeee suns out and I feel all excited now. Like a big kid me...... Shall I jump up and down when I see the sea??

Annie0904
09-03-13, 16:38
So pleased to hear from you and not long left to go!! I have been counting down the days and now we are so close to the end of your treatment and then on the way to recovery :D
I think Tessar should get paddling in the sea...what do you think Di? Can she brave the cold sea?!
Big hugs for you Di :bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bigh ug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Em.ma
09-03-13, 17:36
Get your self some of your fav treats when your appetite comes back. :) you deserve it.
Whether it be fish n chips or a cream cake or a tub of Ben and jerrys :D or a big roast dinner.
I can't believe its been five weeks already. Has it felt like five weeks to you?
Your so brave and so near to the end now and then there's Easter to look forward to :D:hugs:

Ddcoo
09-03-13, 18:01
Thanks for the replies, I think Tessar should put on her bikini and swim half a mile for charity, I will sponsor her ; what do you say Tessar? Tis a bit cold at the moment though, so will let you off till summer. Enjoy your break.
I like the idea of buying some treats in for later, will make up a list and get my partner to treat me, especially now that I am so lovely and skinny. Trouble is with being old, its great that I have lost the weight but my skin looks as if it belongs to a dry elephant, and apologies to any

elephantsThank you all again for the replies.

A couple of years ago I used to swim every week and do a mile in an hour and often did it to raise money for charity, and if in 12 months time I recover enough, I am going to have a go and see if I can do it again, if not I will try for half a mile. I will do it for cancer research. Now that has given me something to aim for. The reason I stopped going swimming was because I put on weight and had a lot of cellulite, but now I think I am past caring what folk think about my body. My body has worked very hard for me since my operation at Xmas and it deserves a treat. What do you reckon guys and gals?

Annie0904
09-03-13, 18:26
I think you should go for it Di...I'll come and count the lengths :D xxx

Vanilla Sky
09-03-13, 18:34
Love and hugs to you :hugs::hugs::hugs: xxxx

Tessar
09-03-13, 18:54
Cor blimey guvnor..... Swim? In the sea? Me? i dont think so........No chance..... Nooooooooooo Nooooooooo Nooooooooooo Nooooooooo Nooooooooooo Nooooooooo. did I mention NO??????????? especially not at this time of year...u must be joking.... It would be a little bit chillywilly don't u think? Besides which I hate the taste of seawater. What if there were a Shark? Piranhas? Dont they have Alligators in South Devon?
Oh, count the lengths, Annie? Swimming pool, that might be better but I haven't swum in years and if I got in the pool all the water would get out? Besides I would have to do it "behind closed doors" as anyone seeing me in a cossie would come over all funny and never be the same again..... I don't think we should risk it, do you?
I'd rather publicly overcome my fear of 8-legged crawly things than do a swim.....and that's saying something.......

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Oh, u said bikini ddcoo, nooooooooo I just couldn't. I have a solution to your saggy skin, I have plenty of excess pounds u can have.....

Annie0904
09-03-13, 19:20
:roflmao:Di hasn't got saggy skin Tessar she has dry skin :D
I can't swim...terrified of water, won't even put my head under the shower. I fell in a swimming pool when I was 7 and had to be fished out...hence my fear :) but I am happy to sit on the side and count :D

Tessar
09-03-13, 21:03
Oh no, I always fear humiliation ..... Especially public humiliation. Now I have gone and done it big style. Do you think Di will ever forgive me???
:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:: blush::blush::blush:::blush::blush::blush::blush:: blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush
I guess I will have to take my punishment on the chin.....:whiplash::whiplash::whiplash::whiplash:

I can understand y you'd not like it annie. but pleas, i wouldnt want you to have to face the fear of being near water.... so we'll face my spider fear instead. anyway, I was a water baby til I perforated my eardrum diving into a pool.:weep::weep:

Annie0904
09-03-13, 21:55
Tessar I know that Di will find it amusing so don't feel humiliated..in fact I will admit that Di told me about her looking like an elephant on the phone and I immediately thought the same until she mentioned dry skin so I can blush too :blush: But knowing Di as I do she will have a good laugh at us :D and she needs our funny remarks to keep her smiling :D
Spider fear...I don't mind spiders but I have horse fear..terrible phobia..ok so I will now become humiliated and tell you why I have a fear of horses :blush: :blush: When I was 14 a horse thought my boob was an apple and bit it :scared15: I have been terrified of them since (horses not boobs). No wonder I am so anxious all these traumas in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tessar
09-03-13, 22:31
Tessar I know that Di will find it amusing so don't feel humiliated..in fact I will admit that Di told me about her looking like an elephant on the phone and I immediately thought the same until she mentioned dry skin so I can blush too :blush: But knowing Di as I do she will have a good laugh at us :D and she needs our funny remarks to keep her smiling :D
Spider fear...I don't mind spiders but I have horse fear..terrible phobia..ok so I will now become humiliated and tell you why I have a fear of horses :blush: :blush: When I was 14 a horse thought my boob was an apple and bit it :scared15: I have been terrified of them since (horses not boobs). No wonder I am so anxious all these traumas in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Annie, this is definitely hilarious. I had a horse bite my t-shirt once but not my boob thankfully! Maybe I kind of meant I felt "silly" rather than humiliated. I think that's what I fear whereas actually I don't need to. Not when I'm around nice kind people. Oh, Di might tell me off for mentioning spiders, oooopsy. I think I shall re-read your horse/boob post any time I need a laugh.....!

Annie0904
09-03-13, 22:39
I shall tell you more on that story then. It hurt..obviously so I ran home and locked myself in the bathroom as only my dad was home. My friend told him what had happened so my Dad wanted to see :blush::blush: It had broken the skin so dad put me in the car to go to the doctors. There was a road survey on the way there and they stopped all the cars and asked where have you come from and where are you going? Dad said we are going to the doctors Quick! A policeman came over and saw me writhing in pain in the car and shouted to move all the traffic quick. When ever I do something it always turns into a big drama some how :roflmao:

swgrl09
10-03-13, 03:15
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bigh ug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:: bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighu g1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::b ighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Eek
10-03-13, 07:03
So glad you're getting near the end of your treatment, I bet you can't wait for it all to be over. It was a good suggestion to get yourself some nice treats now you're feeling hungrier, you need to treat and pamper yourself and get on the road to recovery. Hopefully the next six treatments will fly by and you can put it all behind you and start enjoying life again. :bighug1:

Justinf
10-03-13, 09:27
On the homeward straight now Di. Not long to go now. Hang in there!!!!!!!

RosieXXX
10-03-13, 13:29
Well done Di - sending you all my best wishes xx

JaneC
10-03-13, 13:44
I hope Annie made you laugh. Sorry Annie but that is such a funny story - I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time. All the best Di, you are amazing x

gauge
11-03-13, 11:49
Here I am again with update of week 5 of radiation and then next week I am on the home run with only 6 more radiation treatments.
Last week was a bit hard and due to the chemotherapy on top of the radiation my energy levels hit rock bottom and I honestly don't know where I got the strength from to walk from the car park to the hospital. I was holding on to anything from the rails inside the car park lift to leaning against doors. This lasted for two days. I had no appetite. Thank goodness for a seat in the shower as I was able to sit down while I washed my body and hair, so at least I can say I didn't smell, I had to see the nurse on Wednesday as they check you over every week and see if you have any problems. I have lost more weight 2 and a half stone now, but that is to be expected. I had lost some weight the week before, so to try and pull the wool over their eyes I put my purse in my hoodie pocket to try and add a pound or so, I hope that the nurse does not read this or I will be in trouble next week lol!

I saw the radiology doctor on Friday and he said he was very pleased with my progress, so all I have to do now is stick it out for another week and then a couple of weeks after that I should start to recover.

My left arm where my tongue was taken from is now healing well, and the graft from my stomach has finally stopped scabbing up and is healing nicely too. My neck which was cut from ear to half way under my chin is very hot and red and I look like a tub of lard where the cream is being slapped on all the time, but this is to stop the skin from splitting open.

All in all I am OK, getting hungry again which is a very good sign, so after the treatment I will soon put weight back on again. Got a wardrobe of clothes that hang on me at the moment. Look like a scarecrow!!

Again, thank you all for last weeks messages and as always they are very much appreciated and mean an awful lot to me.

I will catch up with you again next weekend and again after the final treatment on Monday 18th March.

Look after yourselves all of you.
take care i'll say a prayer for you to smile every day with the sun on your face and the rain too. take care from gauge

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

:whistles::yesyes::yahoo::flowers::bighug1::bighug 1::yahoo: for Ddcoo

majdle
11-03-13, 12:05
You are my hero, Di!

sunshine1
11-03-13, 19:53
well done Di! Sounds like you are doing great.

Annie, I was bitten by a horse in the same place! It was painful!

-3 degrees here at this precise moment ( didn't get above freezing all day) and there will absolutely be no swimming in mylocal Loch. Brrrrrrr x

Ddcoo
12-03-13, 18:13
OK you guys, where is your spirit of adventure, wot no swimming? You really have made me laugh though and I needed that today. If we are not going to get you swimming, how about racing SPIDERS???? I need to have a few therapy sessions of overcoming my fear of spiders too, so I am in good company with Tessar. It would be too easy to race horses wouldn't it? Methinks my posts are getting a bit crazy, but I do have an excuse, it is called radiation sickness!! Well only 4 more sessions and I am finished and it can't come soon enough. My throat and mouth are really dry now and the skin on my neck is just about to blister and it is hot an uncomfortable and my brief respite with being able to eat solids has gonre again for the time being, but it is all to be expected and once the treatment has finished it will gradually improve.

Lets get back to the fun stuff; has anyone else got any silly ideas as I will look forward to hearig about them and I reckon that is right up Tessars street! Love Di:winks:

Annie0904
12-03-13, 18:20
So lovely to hear from you Di...I got all excited when I saw you had posted again :) and I am excited that the treatment is almost to an end :D I don't mind spiders but I don't want anything to do with horses or swimming. We could race snails :D Now about Tessar...she has been causing power cuts today I think :D xx

Tessar
12-03-13, 20:05
Spirit of adventure? Moi?? I think i might be rediscovering it....
Someone at work was trying to force me to do something I didn't want to. All in my own time I thought. So now, because I am ready, I am going to do 2 short flights in the same day to an offshore office for my work. I decided I might as well do something challenging. This will be 100% fear factor for me & my stress levels will be off the chart. I think this qualifies for spirit of adventure huh? I know on the day I'll be scared stiff but once I'm in the air I do find it exhilarating. Just scary when we come in to land. Then I have to do it all again or I'll be stuck the wrong side of the water!
I probably would rather race spiders Di.... I really hate them. If u go to therapy with me...we can hold each others hands and scream in unison. If there are enough of us who need to do this therapy, we could form a "spider fear screaming choir"?..??. I seem to have a reputation for silly stuff, perhaps I should change my username to "court jester" but then no one would take me seriously. Oh I forgot, they don't already. i didnt cause the powercut this morning honest; we're staying in a B&B & the lady who runs it said the trip went off when she turned a light on! She needed to come in2 our room to reset the switch so I had to run back into the bathroom as I'd just got out the shower & guess what....I was in my birthday suit.
I'm glad we made you laugh. this'll make u larf too....
I put on a pair of relatively tidy shoes today but discovered the soles were disintegrating..... :-(
I have never had a pair of shoes do this ever, but I really needed them. I decided to wear them "one last time". By the end of the day, the sole was not only split in half. But a big bit had fallen off. They'd gone all sticky so'd been leaving black marks on the floor.... Ooooops.

Only 4 more sessions, that's amazing. YOU ARE AMAZING, DI. Hang in there...
My friend, it must be sooooo painful and uncomfortable for you.... I still have fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed for you. It's not easy to function when folded up like this, people are beginning to give me strange looks...
:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:: wacko::wacko::wacko:

Annie0904
12-03-13, 20:22
Just be careful who you sit next to on the flight Tessar..if it was me you wouldn't have a thumb left. I hate landing!!! Every time the plane lands..you know when it goes really fast down the runway and you think it will never stop and will just smash into the airport building? Well I hold my hubby's hand but I use his thumb as a brake lever so I bend it further and further back the closer it gets to the buildings. One of these days he is going to end up with a broken thumb but it works...we always stop before the building!

Tessar
12-03-13, 20:46
On only my 2nd flight ever, the plane nearly overshot and all the luggage compartments flew open because it all shook so much. Really good for my nerves! I think I was just so glad to be down I really didn't care! Best not grab my thumb I nearly broke it 2yrs ago so I would be paranoid!

Justinf
13-03-13, 01:58
Hey Di, I thought you would like to know that I won the bowling average trophy for my cricket club. I took 19 wickets in 9 one-day games at an average of 8.74 and conceeding just 2.47 runs per over. Sorry to blow my own trumpet and I normally wouldn't do it, but without your strength and encouragement I would never have done it.
In my acceptance speech I thanked you and named you by name and despite nobody knowing who I was referring to, I did know and that's all that matters.
Just thought you would like to know.

---------- Post added at 01:58 ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 ----------

well done Di! Sounds like you are doing great.

Annie, I was bitten by a horse in the same place! It was painful!

-3 degrees here at this precise moment ( didn't get above freezing all day) and there will absolutely be no swimming in mylocal Loch. Brrrrrrr x
We have 10 days in a row in Melbourne over 30 degrees. It's never happened before. Usually starts cooling down by now. Thankfully the run of plus-30 ended today.

Eek
13-03-13, 02:06
I too have a terrible fear of spiders. Racing spiders? that's a novel idea, here in Aus they're big enough to mount and ride in a race... OK that's exaggerating, but they're not far off lol. I come from the UK and when we first came to Australia we had the biggest huntsman spider in out bathroom. It was huge. All of us were scared of it and we ended up having to get a neighbour to come and spray it as we didn't have any spray and all of us were too scared to try and pick it up - it was too big for the old glass and card trick. Google huntsman spiders and you'll see how big they are.

Anyway glad your treatment is nearly over Di, counting down the days for it to be over for you :bighug1:

Tessar
13-03-13, 07:47
OMG Eek.... I'm so glad we don't have those monsters over here. I can't believe you had one in your place. What an introduction. I think if they were as big as you describe ( big enough to mount and ride) they could be put to good use rather like a multi-armed JCB or something. I'm sure with a bit of genetic engineering they could be adapted to various uses rather like robots.

Justinf
13-03-13, 08:35
OMG Eek.... I'm so glad we don't have those monsters over here. I can't believe you had one in your place. What an introduction. I think if they were as big as you describe ( big enough to mount and ride) they could be put to good use rather like a multi-armed JCB or something. I'm sure with a bit of genetic engineering they could be adapted to various uses rather like robots.
They're harmless and they are useful around the house as they kill pests and bugs like no tomorrow.

sunshine1
13-03-13, 21:33
Tessar, that's a great idea Spider mini digger! eight legs could get work done in no time.

Justin - that was lovely to dedicate your win to di. Well done on your success, you must be very proud of yourself.
x

Annie0904
13-03-13, 21:48
I spoke to Di this morning. She only has 3 more treatments to go and it has really been a tough time for her. So pleased it is almost at an end and she will be able to relax and recover :)

Eek
14-03-13, 01:02
Yay only 3 more to go, so close to being over now :D

Annie0904
14-03-13, 12:08
2 to go!!! I can't wait for Monday night to be here :)

Eek
14-03-13, 12:16
wohoo same here :)

Tessar
14-03-13, 12:55
Bring it on!!!!Bring it on!!!!Bring it on!!!!Bring it on!!!!

swgrl09
14-03-13, 13:11
:bighug1: She is soooo close!!!!!!! I am so excited for her to be done. She is so strong and amazing.

Twinsmummy
14-03-13, 15:38
Well done Di, nearly there. You made me laugh with your purse! Wishing you all the very best - thinking of you every day.
Cx

Annie0904
15-03-13, 23:18
Only Monday to go now :yesyes:

Eek
16-03-13, 05:32
Only Monday to go now :yesyes:

Yay so close, I bet Di can't wait for it to be over.