PDA

View Full Version : First Panic Attack

cfury
11-09-06, 15:44
I guess I can start by introducing myself. I'm 15 years old and moved from Kentucky 6 years ago. I have been diagnosed with asthma, allergies, and tinnitus. I know I have a form of Severe Depression, after taking many online tests when I didn't need them to tell me I had it. I am overall a pesimistic person, I obssesivly worry about my mental health, and usually am nervous. I have recurring Sleep Paralysis, which I have gotten used to by now. If you asked me if I have a lot of stress, I would laugh.

My first panic attack...
I got up in the morning around the same time I usually do. I grabbed a pack of chocolate poptarts and ate them as I talked to my friends from Kentucky on MSN. All went normal until I got to the movie theater. I've been tired recently because school started 2 weeks ago. I ordered a Medium Cherry Coke and Medium bag of popcorn. I sat down in the theater as normal until a promo of a new movie had lights flash intensly through the dark of the room. I felt faint like I was going to pass out. I felt like I was about to have a seizure, and thats when the panic set in (I feel it again as I recall the events.)
I finally convinced my parents to take me to the hospital because I couldn't calm down and felt a rush of warmth and lightheadedness shoot through my body every few minutes. It felt like I was dying, an unexplainalbe feeling.
The doctor ran some tests and took blood and urine samples. All turned out to be fine, although I was still feeling shaky and had that "rush" shoot through me every few minutes. I couldn't breathe normally because my heart was pounding. As of right now, I'm still worrying if I'm epileptic. I need to know if this sounds like a seizure or just a panic attack.

trac67
11-09-06, 16:15
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Try these links, this one for the symptoms of anxiety and panic :

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

and this one for the first steps to recovery :

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Hope they help.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

yorkylover
11-09-06, 17:30
Hi there,I had my first panic attack just over 10 years ago.I was also taken to hospital because I didnt know what was happening.I thought I was going to die.The feelings carried on for ages after.It is a terrible feeling,especially the first one.You are not alone in this and there are great people on here that can offer you great advice and support.
Take Care[^]

Ellen XX

rosebud
11-09-06, 18:30
Hi
I know what you mean about the rush shooting through you.
It sounds like a panic attack to me. The first time i had one i felt just like you. Theres no easy way to stop them the key is just not to be afraid of them, easier said than done. You will get lots of help here, you are not alone.

Love Rosebudxxx

nomorepanic
11-09-06, 19:03
Hi there and welcome aboard.

You are not alone with your fears and worries so hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

carly123
13-09-06, 10:30
Hi and welcome to the forum,

It doesn't sound like epilepsy to me, especially since you haven't actually had a fit.
I think the rush you felt is the adrenaline rush that you feel when you have a panic attack, and you probably 'felt' like you would have a seizure because somewhere in your mind, for whatever reason, you felt that was a possibility.
It's like, the more you think 'I'm gonna faint', the more faint and light-headed you feel!

Take carexxx

mad_shell66
13-09-06, 17:15
hiya, welcome to no more panic.

it sounds like a panic attack to me, not apilepsy. my friend has epilepsy and it doesnt sound like her at all. but im sure you will find answers from using the forum. people on the site are great and more than happy to help out, myself included. 15 is a young age to suffer. if you need anyone to talk to, pm me, or you can add me to your msn. its mad_shell66@hotmail.co.uk

if anyone else reading this would like to add my msn, then please feel free:D

shell xxx

roberto
13-09-06, 18:47
Hiya,

i hope you are feeling more relaxed now. Itsoounds like a good old panic attack to me. I've been to hospital with it because i thought i was a goner for definate, they couldnt see anuthing wrong, by the time i got to see someone i was pretty calm anyway.
the symptoms you describe are how i feel when i have a panic attack, and it is beatable.

take care

rob

cfury
13-09-06, 20:13
I think I had a non-epileptic seizure then started to panic, triggering the panic attack. Whenever I see lights flash in a dark room, I get the feeling like I'm passing out, but I don't think its a panic attack starting. I'm getting an EEG soon, so I'll know what it is within the next few weeks. Thanks for all of your support!

cfury
22-10-06, 17:06
It wasn't a seizure, it was an anxiety attack. I had to get a blood glucose test and it tested positive for hypoglycemia, so I had a sugar crash and obviously over-reacted thinking it was a heart attack or something. I don't even want to think about that day. I haven't had a serious anxiety attack since the week after the first episode, but sometimes I can feel it coming on to me in the car but I just shake the feeling off. But I've been thinking that there is a connection between sleep paralysis and anxiety attacks...

bubba
22-10-06, 17:45
Hi
It sounds like your first panic attack. Try not to worry about having another one as anxiety feeds anxiety and it will make things worse. Try to tell yourself it was a one off.

Take care
From Bubba

bernadette
22-10-06, 18:21
hi i now how you feel i have had panic attacks for 20 years and i remember my first one your first 1 is your worsed because you dont no wot it is but you will controll then dont be scared of them there not harmful you need to do your breathing let someone one show you how to do them and you will be fine if you need to talk just write to me xxxxx thinking of u but dont worry

lynacre
22-10-06, 19:20
Hi,
It does sound like youve had your first panic attack. Try not to worry and try not to question why it happened. Easier said than done We look for explanations and try to justify why its happened, im sure that makes us feel more stressed.

take care
LYNN xx