PDA

View Full Version : Breathlessness - what's normal?

potato11
09-03-13, 18:51
Hi everyone

I am just trying to gather some reassurance (naughty I know) regarding breathlessness and anxiety.

I've had it on and off for a while, but for the past couple of weeks I'm having it pretty much constantly. I've been off work (annual leave) and I think sitting round the house in a slouched posture hasn't done me much good!!

I have been to a couple of exercise classes which help me feel better, but once I'm home and sat down I feel bad again. So it's weird - one minute I'm thinking "I must be ok as I can exercise" and the next I feel breathless sitting down!?

Currently on night shifts (I work in a hospital) and so my anxiety is high with "making myself ok" for work. Sometimes the breathlessness affects my ability to speak in full sentences, and the panic makes me feel like subtle breathlessness is about to turn in to a full blown "help I can't breathe!!" episode - thought (touch wood) it never has.

As with most symptoms is just hard to believe this is "just" anxiety! particularly working in a hospital, I am aware of too many diagnoses!

.Poppy.
10-03-13, 02:26
With anxiety, it really is amazing what the mind is capable of. I had a breathless episode that lasted for a month - I even got my doctor to give me an inhalor for it - and what ultimately stopped it was that I realized depending on that drug was unhealthy and that I could turn it around on my own.

If you are really concerned, by all means see a doctor. I am NOT a doctor but since you are stills upright and the fact that you can still exercise without issue means that as long as you are adequately distracted you are fine - this means it is in your head.

The good news is that once you beat this mentally once, you can see this coming next time and it will last for a shorter and shorter period of time. Hang in there - you can beat this!

I know it is rough and that being unable to breathe is truly terrifying. :(