PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with panic/anxiety

Ash1969
09-03-13, 21:16
Hi I need some advice, I keep getting anxiety/panic attacks in crowded places. I'm OK at home but if i'm in the local supermarket or really any crowded environment I feel anxious,scared this is when i've left the supermarket leaving a full trolley in the middle of an aisle and then I get incredibly angry with myself, I feel that as a grown man I should not feel like this (something you should know is i'm not a control freak, i'm as easygoing as they come) but when these attacks come over me i'm a totally different character.

My doctor has given me a book on how to cope with anxiety plus i'm on medication for depression mertazipine (15mg) and citilopram (40mg), i'm sure there has to be something or someone who can advise me on this as i don't want it to beat me and i'm sure as hell don't want to be stuck indoors for the foreseeable future.

Any advise will be greatfull as i'm at a loss.

Ash

Col
09-03-13, 22:07
Hi ash, the trolly being left, yep done tht & walked out. I've done all sorts I've left my husband in the shop with the kids and walked out, I've stayed I the car screaming at My hubby at a checkout in a shop, to hurry up. All I can say is as well as what your doctor has advised, Destraction, supplement, manuka honey,exercise, small steps, tapping exercises (Utube) all helped me. Although I'm having a dip at the minute , your not alone, I'm lost too. I just try and be as optimistic as I can, it's hard though!

Annie0904
09-03-13, 22:11
CBT is helping me to cope with this. If you think it will work for you you can ask your GP to refer you or try this online one that has helped me http://ct-online-info.com

Ash1969
09-03-13, 22:26
Thanks for the responses i'm thinking about asking my doctor about increasing my dosage of Mertazipine in the hope that this will stop these episodes. Like I said previously I REALLY hate the feeling of being out of control. I will try the supplements and go on the link supplied.
Thanks Both

Col
10-03-13, 08:58
Yes ash , I know when it comes over you the sudden urge to -GET OUT...... or something dreadful will happen - is overwhelming & scary. I described panic as 'stupid' recently it's sooo irrational BUT when it hits u , it hits u and no matter how strong you normally are,it all goes out of the window.

Take care x

BobbyDog
10-03-13, 13:00
This seems to be a common anxiety response. It is something I have had to deal with over the years. Continued exposure is the only way to beat it, perhaps accompanied by medication and CBT, as others have suggested. I know just how frightening this experience can be and I do feel for you. Stay strong.x

lennon183
12-03-13, 21:36
Ash1969,

there is some excellent information about the panic cycle and the nature of anxiety on the internet. It's a frustrating paradox that anxiety is in fact there to help you avoid danger, death and injury and yet can cause so much trauma. It is probably no comfort whatsoever to know that you can effectively 'max out' on anxiety because it's a physiological reaction as much as anything else, although it's probably ill advised to try this without the help of a CBT therapist or at least armed with some self-help material.

Ash1969
12-03-13, 22:13
Thank you again for the advice, I really do appreciate it.

Sunshine77
13-03-13, 09:33
Hi Ash I get this too - can't go to the supermarket alone any more or at all on busy days. I've abandoned the trolley and legged it too. Like you I feel that I "should" be better than this - but it's a terrible word to beat ourselves up with & I'm having to accept that now.

Can't really add anything to the advice that's been given but just wanted to add my support.

Luckyduck
13-03-13, 18:12
Like Annie said CBT helps.

I'm on 60mg citilopram but I'm having CBT and it helps a lot. I have come such a way since last year. Even yesterday I went to the post office, there was a large Que. which I HATE. But I suck with it and posted a letter. I couldn't of done that without changing the way I think. CBT is a huge help. :)

Abird1108
14-03-13, 11:00
Hi Ash,
I can't give you any advice on how to cope, as i'm struggling to cope myself.
But try not to not go out because of it, it seems the logical thing to do (and something I did myself!) but you'll end up like me. I cannot go out at all now, totally house bound after having attacks walking home and in the supermarket.
It might seem really bad now, but it will get a billion times worse if you don't keep going out. Fight it while you can. Good luck xxx