PDA

View Full Version : The best that I have felt in years

alexalexalex
11-03-13, 22:26
After having some pretty serious anxiety and depression issues in the last 3 years, I think I've finally gained control. The last time that I had a sweat attack was about 4 months ago. I thought that I would post some information about how I have accomplished this, these methods worked for me and may not be suitable for others, but it's worth a shot if you're feeling low.

1. Remember that it is all in YOUR head. When you feel anxious, remind yourself that it is just a part of your brain being a dick and that 99.9% of the time no-one will have a clue that something is up. I used to often feel hot and sweat uncontrollably but the realization that it was all in my head helped me more than anything. Other times, I would feel hot and sweaty and people would say that I looked normal.

2. Breathing exercises. Taking 3 deep breaths will calm you down. You can do this without anyone noticing and it has prevented me from getting anxious many times.

3. Exercise and diet. Don't like sport? Neither do I. Walk places, eat healthy and take vitamin supplements. Within a week you will feel like a new person.

4. Get the 'I don't care what people think of me' mentality. It is a HUGE self esteem boost to be confident enough to stand up to yourself, no matter how small. Just today whilst crossing a road, all the cars stopped apart from a boy racer trying to rush past. I crossed in front of him, causing him to stop completely. When he gave me a look, I looked at him and chuckled. If someone tries to make you uncomfortable by staring at you, stare right back. Worrying about scum is no way to be. Don't fear confrontations. You're not as delicate as you're led to believe.

5. Cut down on alcohol and stop smoking tobacco. Alcohol is bad for anxiety. Weekly drinking will make you feel worse. As a 20 year old male, this was probably the hardest adjustment that I've had to make. Most of my peers don't understand but I've saved vast amounts of money and lost a bit of weight from not drinking. Just because alcohol is legal, doesn't mean that it is OK. Tobacco is also a stimulant and can make you feel anxious. In my experience, the occasional drinking session is fine, but be aware. I've also been a user of cannabis for the past 5 years. When used in moderation, cannabis can make a huge difference. It all depends on the person, but once again in my experience, it kept my social life alive and also reduced my anxiety. Don't smoke street weed unless you've experimented with it before.

That's about it. Take things slow. Make changes to your lifestyle and reap the rewards. Change your state of mind and your physical symptoms will be a fraction of what they were!

JaneC
11-03-13, 22:31
Some excellent advice there Alex, glad you are feeling the benefits x

alexalexalex
11-03-13, 22:41
I hope someone reads this and finds it useful. I also want to say a massive thank you to all the people who have replied to my previous posts. Knowing that there are so many people out there going through or having been through what I experienced was a lifesaver. Just donated a fiver, I hope that helps keep the advice and support which I received, available for all.

nomorepanic
11-03-13, 22:46
Hi Alex

Lovely of you to come back and update us with your progress and I just got the email about your donation.

Thank You so much for that it was very very kind of you.

alexalexalex
11-03-13, 22:54
I wish I could have given more but being a student makes finances a pain. I'm studying IT, you have my email address, feel free to contact me if ever you want any work done on the site :) Thank you everyone.