PDA

View Full Version : My dad will die young I know it!

Em.ma
12-03-13, 13:42
My dad is 56 years old.
He doesnr smoke. Walks 9 miles a day for a walk and cycles 2 but he drinks in secret and I know it. Claims its stress from mum.
His never drunk but he drinks at least three beers a night and some more in secret :(
He has regular nose bleeds which can be a sign of high blood pressure which means he'll have a heart attack or a stroke.
He also gets regular styes under his eyes. His gone to pharmacy today got something for it.
I don't want to loose him.
Once a long time ago he lost his vision and felt very ill for a few hours. Never happened again but it's stuck in my brain .

owls
12-03-13, 15:07
If he is dehydrated that could lead to nosebleeds (maybe from walking 9 miles a day?). Make sure he is staying hydrated and see if that solves the problem. If you are worried, convince him to see a doc to see if his vitals are okay but pharmacies have blood pressure moniters. Next time you make a trip to a pharmacy have him check his blood pressure there.

Gotagetthroughthis
12-03-13, 15:25
I have nose bleeds every day, and my blood pressure is very low. It is not necessarily a sign of high blood pressure. Try and talk to your dad about your worries if you can, im sure he will be able to reassure you.

Jamesk
12-03-13, 16:05
Emma try and be calm - he takes great amounts of exercise which is fantastic for blood pressure.

I know it is probably still too much, but believe it from someone that knows three beers a day isn't actually that much, and it's beer rather than wine or spirits, so I really wouldn't worry too much.

I am not reccomending it but my Dad had a Brandy in his morning coffee and tucked away a bit more than 3 beers a day for as long as I knew him - OK he died last month but he was 92!

You are right to be concerned for him, but he doesn't sound like a huge boozer to me.

Em.ma
13-03-13, 19:35
Thanks guys.
I really worry about him a lot.
As a child I had nose bleeds everyday which stopped once puberty hit. Goodness what mine were. His dad had angina and died of a heart attack age 61,