PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and HIGH blood pressure!?

tan235
12-03-13, 18:24
So I have horrible debilitating hypochondria, as I'm guessing a few of us have :)
I went and got a sonogram yesterday as I've been having urine issues.
The sonogram tech told me something didn't look normal but then I peed he checked my kidney again and said oh its normal now.
Then he told me to see my Dr soon. Freak out!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I have been googling and pretty much terrified.
I rang the hospital to see if I could get results but the woman said not over the phone but your urologist has results already!!!!
So then I thought well kidney disease usually pairs with high blood pressure so I will take it! I have one at home.
I'm.... 150/120!!!!!!!!!!!

Now can anxiety cause this?!
Every time I took it it was around the same number.
Only 2 weeks ago it was 120/75.

Has my anxiety spiked it?
I have a headache and can feel the pressure behind my eyes and quite frankly I can't calm myself down to take it again!!!!!!

Thoughts?
I'm seeing urologist on Thursday so really hope I'm ok!!!

ashurrutia
12-03-13, 19:20
Yes most definitely. How old are you??

I'm a 25 years old healthy male, and if I think my BP is high, then I'll measuring it, and it ends up being like 160/110, I've seen it go as ahigh as 175/110 when standing up. Now when I'm calmed my BP is usually 110/70 and even as low as 100/60. So yes anxiety does raise your BP, but unless you are old and have a heart problem, a temporary(i.e. few months to a year) hypertension due to anxiety isn't going to do anything to your heart.

See my thread about it: http://nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131542

tan235
12-03-13, 19:34
Thanks I'm 36 but very healthy!! I need to get rid of my anxiety now I'm to scared to take my BP again but that's probably a good thing!

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Oh you sound very similar to me ha ha I just read your thread - thanks x

ashurrutia
12-03-13, 19:36
Well at your age it having high BP induced by anxiety is annoying, but it isn't harmful. The problem is that with anxiety, we tend to see everything out of proportion. Worrying about having high BP only keeps it high, worrying about having Tachycardia only brings about Tachycardia, and worrying about every sensation in the body, be it a headache or feeling dizzy isn't really gonna solve anything. If you have already been to the doctor and got the all clear, then try to stop worrying. I know it is easier said than done, and I still think every day I have some weird unknown disease, especially when my symptoms intensify, but then I remind myself, that what I'm feeling is exhaustion from an overworked nervous system, give it time, and it will heal.