PDA

View Full Version : Other people's problems

LoveMusic
12-03-13, 19:28
Hi
I really hope someone can help me.

I've been talking to this guy i've met online and I like to think we are friends. But - he has begun sharing his problems with me and I find this incredibly stressful because of my GAD and triggers. I take on the problems of others and they become a huge burden to me, I have panic attacks over them.

So recently he told me his sister is very ill and now I can barely think about it without getting panicky. I am very tempted to just delete my email account - I do realise how nasty and horrible this makes me and I feel incredibly guilty over it.

Could anyone offer any advice, or has been in a situation like this?

Jaco45er
12-03-13, 20:10
This may sound a little harsh, but sometimes you need to think of yourself. Since its a "virtual" relationship, I would make your excuses and leave.

One of the key components to conquering anxiety is, doing what's right for yourself. By nature, anxiety sufferers are just too passive to other people's needs.

I am sure he will live ;)

Pipkin
12-03-13, 20:49
Hi there,

Why not come clean with him and explain how you feel? If you decide not to carry on chatting to him, at least he'll understand why.

Pip

Serenitie
12-03-13, 21:28
Hi there,

Why not come clean with him and explain how you feel? If you decide not to carry on chatting to him, at least he'll understand why.

Pip

Great advice Pip, I totally agree:yesyes:

Rennie1989
12-03-13, 22:10
I agree with the above. Although sometimes it's a relief to discuss personal problems, especially to someone who is non-judgmental, you do need your space and need to think about your health. Just explain that his problems are becoming too much even for you to cope, on top of what you have to cope with, and to maybe stop talking about the personal problems or stop communications for a while. As mean as this may sound he is only an online friend, you do not know him in real life, and you can't let him bring you down. It would be different if he was an 'offline' friend.

blue moon
12-03-13, 23:11
I made friend through e-mail,it was good for awhile but then she started talking about people on the site that was not nice so I told her i did not wish to know,then she turned on me with nasty racial comments,this person came across as caring but was not nice at all.I have since deleted my e-mail.Now I do not make friends via e-mail.

Petra x:)