PDA

View Full Version : MS or anxiety. New mum having a Hard week :(

annabella1984
12-03-13, 21:10
Hi everyone,*

Just joined the site today as I'm having a terrible time this week. I've always suffered badly with health anxiety, but since I had my baby four months ago my anxiety has gone through the roof! After having my son I was convinced I had cervical cancer, I was terribly upset, couldn't get it off my mind but I didn't have any anxiety symptoms. I had a smear which confirmed I was all clear and I went back to normal.*

Then on Thursday morning I woke up, put my foot on the floor, pins and needles, stiffness and a little bit of pain, I didn't think much of it and walked it off. Later I thought about what had happened so entered ' pins and needles in left leg' into google and my whole world went bang... MS. I then felt my foot was numb, my arm was weak and my eyes hurt. I made emergency doctor and optician appointments for the next day. I went out for dinner that night and was conscious of my leg but not too much. When I got in my partner asked how my leg was, I got on the net, and went numb from head to foot, I couldn't even feel when my partner pinched me. Next morning numb arm and leg, pins and Needles still. Optician said my eyes were perfect and the doctor put me on citalopram, she was sure it was anxiety.*

Next day numbness, weak arm, pins and needles. Sunday (my first mothers day) I was a wreck, had a shower and thought I would faint (heat intolerance) couldn't eat, felt dizzy, couldn't talk or stop thinking about having MS. *My partner had planned to take me shopping and For a nice lunch. we walked about 5 minutes from where we parked, I felt like I was going to collapse. My feet where numb. We rushed to A&E left the baby with the grandparents and spent the day there. They checked all my reflexes and thought it was fine and anxiety related. Next morning numb in both arms, left arm still feels weaker. Pins and needles in both legs, neck pain (burning like heat), had a bath and my legs where like jelly when I got out. I felt like as I got the baby ready for bed I had a cold icy patch halfway up my calf, tingly. Then I went to sleep and was woken up at 2am by fierce pins and needles in my right arm,really really bad. I shook it off and they went. I couldn't sleep then for worry.*

I know this is so long winded but I'm a wreck. It's ruining my relationship, my time with my baby. Could anxiety cause all this, my whole back hurts. I had an epidural when giving birth, feel down the stairs a month later but felt fine until last week. Even as I write this my left leg is alive with pins and needles as is my bottom lip.*

Is this anxiety, could anxiety cause all my symptoms.Could the citalopram give me some of these symptoms?

I carry my son in my left arm and sometimes sleep with him on it, could this cause numbness for this long? I can't even feel my self wee anymore I feel so numb. Could anxiety give me pins and needles even when I'm asleep, I suppose I may have been laying on it.*

I do hope someone can help and shed some light as to what's going on with me!*

Anna*

JaneC
12-03-13, 21:39
Hello Anna :welcome: and congratulations on becoming a mum. With MS, you tend to develop symptoms gradually rather than suddenly (there's lots of MS in my family). I doubt very much it's that. Side effects such as dizziness can be common when starting an antidepressant such as citalopram.

A bit of Googling makes me wonder if the back pain and numbness might be related to the fact you had an epidural. Might be worth asking your health visitor or doc about that. Hope you find answers x

illgetthere
12-03-13, 21:41
Hi Anna my names Vicky and I'd like to say ive had the same as what you describe only I don't fear ms I fear a brain tumour I to went to the opticians had eye test doctors had blood tests all ok where you describe the cold patch I have hot patches instead does anxiety cause it I don't really no but I'd like you to take comfort in knowing I have it aswell p.s I'm a new mum to my baby 7 months old xx

annabella1984
12-03-13, 21:45
Thank you so much for the reply. Thank you, I really am loving every second of being a mummy, just need my head free of negativity! I do feel a bit odd On the tablets but the dr did warn me that the side effects were similar to that of some MS symptoms...which naturally hasn't help!

Thanks again!x

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Thanks for the reply vicky! Congrats on the little one! I haven't had any testing yet, I'm hoping it is anxiety and I can manage it! Have you had health anxiety before?xx

JaneC
12-03-13, 21:46
Anna, the side effects should go and you will also start to feel mentally better. It can take a few weeks xx

dlr108
12-03-13, 21:48
anxiety and stress can cause numb feelings and pins and needles go on to anxietycenter.com and you will find these symptoms are very common with anxiety i dont know how they are but they seem to be very common

another thing to look at is posture whuch can cause numbness and also the phycosomatic issue as well i remember when i was worried i had a serious heart problem i had really bad chest pain when my cardio said i was fine the chest pain went away

annabella1984
12-03-13, 21:49
I'll stick at it then! Going to have some reiki tomorrow to try and clear my mind for 5 minutes! xx

JaneC
12-03-13, 21:54
Good idea. I had a course of reflexology last year and it was unbelievably relaxing xx

annabella1984
12-03-13, 21:56
Thanks for the reply drl.

I have had quite bad posture since being pregnant. I will set about adjusting that.

I too was the same when I thought I had cervical cancer, bad pain up until the second I got the letter to say I was all clear. I've just never had such severe symptoms like this.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

That's good to know Jane! Fingers crossed then with the meds,start kicking in and a couple of weeks of reiki I should be feeling better.

tan235
13-03-13, 15:04
I'm a new mum too - well my daughter is 11 months but after having here anxiety went through the roof!!!
I have terrible anxiety - I have pins and needles currently in my foot, I've had the cold feeling, I've had all the symptoms you are describing and thought only 2 weeks ago that I had MS or a brain tumor now I think I have kidney disease.
Anxiety can cause all these syptoms - over use of our adrenal glands causes all of this!!!
I've had vertigo, weird brain zaps, bladder issues (currently) I think I need meds ;) but you are fine - do you notice the symptoms go when your busy??

It's horrible though having a new wonderful being in your life with high anxiety - let's get rid of it!
And the PP is right MS comes on slowly but you know what comes on fast and stays till we relax - ANXIETY!!

Ps : your husband sounds very supportive.

Writing on iPhone so sorry for mistakes!

illgetthere
16-03-13, 07:13
Hi Anna no I haven't had health anxiety before I'm having a hard time with it to be honest, everything happend so quickly sitting watching a film one night with the other half and bang a sharp pain in my stomach followed by a massive panic attack went bad from there 20 months have passed and they have been pretty immense I've wanted to put myself away twice it's hard glad your on meds, I myself have a medicine fear so mine are still in the kitchen cupboard that I tell myself ill take them if I need to ha ha everyday I need them just can't get 1 in my mouth I hope you feel better soon xx