PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new

fermina77
12-03-13, 21:48
Hello all,

I have been having panic attacks off and on for 2 years now. I think they started when I experienced a fit in a supermarket and woke up in hospital with no memory of what happened. Up to now I thought I only suffered them whilst being out and about particularly when in shops and around crowds. However having read up on the subject I see that i do experience them whilst at home too but do not have the fear of passing out due to the safety of home. i have my first Dr's appointment about the issue tomorrow and I am really hoping he does not prescribe anti depressants as I do not feel depressed.

JaneC
12-03-13, 21:57
Hello Fermina :welcome:. I'm not in any way trying to encourage you to take antidepressants if you don't want to but remember they are not just for depression - they can help with anxiety and panic disorder too. I hope you have a productive appointment with your doc x

Insight
12-03-13, 22:06
:welcome:

I'd also echo what Jane says about anti-depressants not only being for depression,hope the doctor's goes ok :)

fermina77
12-03-13, 22:45
Thank you JaneC and Insight. I am sure I will be back on here and update on what the Dr suggests.

BobbyDog
13-03-13, 06:30
My anxiety started after I had a fit, so can understand how you feel. Antidepressants really do help with anxiety and not just depression. They could help you get your life back on track. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy may also be a good idea, it could help you move forward with your life to a more positive place. See what your doctor suggests.

fermina77
13-03-13, 15:50
Hi all,

My Dr has prescribed Half Beta-Prograne 80mg and we have discussed the possibility of CBT but I am going in next week for a blood test to test for other issues before we commence with this. I have nothing against anti depressants , I have taken them in the past (Cipramil and Prozac) but I am really glad that I have another option. I am going to start taking them tomorrow as I am home for the day and usually do not have problems at home. I hope they work.

JaneC
14-03-13, 18:58
Good luck with the beta blockers, hope they help x

fermina77
14-03-13, 19:44
First day on Beta's has not been bad at all even though I had spend the day who really winds me up. I know it is early days yet but hopefully this is the way forward.

fermina77
16-03-13, 19:38
Third day on Beta's and I am thinking of giving up as i am feeling dizzy. I initially thought the dizziness was the panic attack but now I am thinking it is due to the tablets. During panic I do often feel dizzy and my biggest fear is fainting or fitting and this only really happens when I am out. It is extremely rare that I feel dizzy at home however I have felt dizzy/light headed and tired a lot today. i'm going to give them a miss tomorrow and see how I am.

Dr_n_Bass
16-03-13, 20:54
I know that to some this will sound soft but i have been suffering from anxiety episodes for a few months after stopping taking tramodol for pain for 4 years. I have been using beta blockers but i also have been using mindfulness meditation. The beta blockers do help if i get to a point of having an attack but the meditation actually does help manage the feelings before it gets to attack stage. I'm doing on average 20 minutes meditation a day and do more some days. It's actually a real way of managing things... With other support, Honest!

fermina77
16-03-13, 21:51
Thank you Dr n Bass,

I have tried meditation in the past particularly in terms of positive visualasation. I have just come across this site http://www.alifelessanxious.com/natural-anxiety-remedies/how-to-relax-in-10-seconds/#comment-474 and tried the relaxation technique and it really worked.
The real test will be trying it while I am out but so far so good I have not felt dizzy since doing it.