PDA

View Full Version : Feeling judged at school for not working

swgrl09
13-03-13, 14:33
Many of you know I decided to leave work because of many reasons, some related to school and time and others related to the work environment.

Now I feel like I am being judged by my peers at school for not working. I feel like they look down on me and resent me for it because they continue to work and stress out. I feel so much better without having my job anymore and it has helped my anxiety a lot. I know it was the right choice for me.

I don't know if I am projecting my own criticism of myself onto them, I guess that's possible. But there are times where I hear some of my peers with stronger personalities actually say that they are annoyed by people who don't have to work. It makes me feel badly but I don't feel comfortable explaining everything.

Does anybody experience similar? Feeling like others judge you for not working?

BobbyDog
13-03-13, 18:58
Speaking from personal experience, leaving work because of my anxiety, some of which was caused by my then very stressful job. I did/do sometimes feel as though people are/were looking down their noses at me because I am no longer working. But, if I am being completely realistic, most of it is down to me being paranoid and lacking in self confidence. Or, as you say - projecting my own criticism of myself onto others. It's just the anxiety getting the better of you.

Serenitie
13-03-13, 18:59
Hi :)

You have to do what is best for you and you are under absolutely no obligation to explain yourself to anyone else.

''What others think of you is none of your business'' :winks:

Do not be sucked into other people's negativity or drama. Let this negativity pass over you and concentrate on your studies and continued well being :yesyes:

cattia
13-03-13, 19:07
People are so self involved sometimes, why would it annoy them that other people don't work? It sounds to me as though they're just jealous. They don't know your circumstances, and anyway, even of you'd given up work just because you felt like it or because you were so wealthy that you didn't need the cash, so what? It's none of their business. How you run your life is up to you. I totally agree that lots of people are all about the drama and you have to just let it wash over you.

Oatcake
14-03-13, 18:27
I'm a teacher in a fairly demanding school, and I know exactly what you mean. However, having spoken to one of my colleagues, I have come to the conclusion that it's more of my own worries which I'm projecting onto my colleagues than their actual resentment.

Schools I've worked in are female heavy and therefore have a tendency to be (Sorry, girls) bitchy and cliquey. There's always going to be the odd person who giggles and whispers like the queen bee at high school. I'm quite sure there are a few who are giggling at my "Depression holiday" (I stole that term from someone on here!) and making fun of me. However, my year group partner says it's all fine - my class are okay, the school play is proceeding without me operating the sound desk as I always did, and my cover teacher is coping well. Things are going on, and I need to quit thinking that everything will fall down without me.

You made the choice that was right for you. One day, they will also make that choice, be that at retirement or sooner. So what if they think you're selfish? I'd rather be seen as selfish and sane, wouldn't you? Working in a school is an emotional drain, and nobody ever puts the plug on that drain to help you out. Enjoy this time, allow your head some space and make a decision when you're ready.