PDA

View Full Version : Can Anxiety/Panic really be so real??

CharlieM
13-03-13, 19:07
Hello everyone,

I am new on here and have just done a short intro on the New Member forum.

Background

I am 43, male, never taken drugs, eat well, smoke 15 a day and drink once or twice a week. I have genuinely never been ill since my early childhood and hadn't seen a GP for over 25 years until October 2012.

In August 2011, I lost my job due to a gambling addiction and got a referral to a residential rehab. Between Oct 2011 and Feb 2012, I completed the rehab (CBT based), and haven't gambled since. In fact my recovery has gone really well, and compared to the stress I felt while gambling, I have emerged a much happier and calmer person.

My Current Situation

On the 20th October 2012, I was driving to the supermarket alone, a trip I have made hundreds of times. As I approached some traffic lights, I got a feeling of tightness in my chest and felt dizzy and sweaty. My heart rate shot up and I had a weird sensation in my left arm. It just kept building as I managed to get my car onto the side of the road. I sat there is disbelief that I was having a heart attack at my age. It was so real, and I will never forget the feeling.

I was taken to A&E, where they did ECG, bloods, chest x-ray, etc. everything was fine. Blood pressure fine, cholesterol fine, lft fine and the enzyme test for a heart attack showed that I hadn't had one.

At that point I was obviously relieved, and still a bit shakey, but I didn't really dwell on it. On 17th December 2012, the same thing happened. I was just sat at home watching TV. Again I went to A&E, had all the same tests, and again everything fine. They also booked me in for a stress ECG, and that was fine also.

I then visited my GP, because while I was satisfied that it wasn't my heart, I just knew that something was wrong. My GP diagnosed me with anxiety and explained that my symptoms were my body's way of coping with all the residual stress from my many years of gambling and the problems that had caused me.

I am now taking 80mg propanolol, but am not taking any mess for the underlying anxiety.

Every week, I have feeling of unease, pain under my left arm, in my neck, jaw and under my shoulder. On a couple of occasions, it has felt like before, but I get up and go for a walk. This relieves the discomfort and the symptoms never get as bad as the first 2 episodes

So, does this genuinely sound like Anxiety or panic attacks. The feeling of pain and discomfort is so real, that I struggle to believe there is nothing physical wrong.

I will answer all comments particularly if you ask specifically about the symptoms.

P.s. the symptoms seem to change and move around my upper body.

Thanks for reading this rather long thread :bighug1:

Charlie

starlight78
13-03-13, 19:44
Hi Charlie, welcome to NMP!

It really does sound like classic anxiety to me. If all these horrid symptoms didn't feel so completely real then I guess they wouldn't terrify us so much!

I don't tend to get the health anxiety. I get a horrendous sense of foreboding that something bad is about to happen, that I'm going to lose my mind! X x

CharlieM
13-03-13, 19:51
Fish boy - yes, I undid the window immediately and sat there with my head out of the window.

I didn't mention that I hardly drive now as every time I get in the car, I get the butterflies and can think of nothing else but how my body is. Every twinge seems magnified and I have to return home.

Starlight - thanks. I think I am struggling with the chicken and egg syndrome. What I mean is, 'does the anxiety cause the discomfort or does the discomfort cause the anxiety'?

Serenitie
13-03-13, 21:02
Hi Charlie & welcome :)

Residual stress seems likely to have triggered your anxiety and panic attacks. It usually impacts us after a stressful time. Adrenaline keeps us focused on dealing with stress and getting through this situation, then afterwards when we slow down or stop we can be hit by delayed anxiety from the original situation.

It is very similar to carrying and managing a heavy workload in anticipation of annual leave, then falling ill as soon as we slow down and take our holidays!

There is a very strong mind a body connection which makes it perfectly understandable that mental distress and anxiety will manifest itself in physical symptoms including pain, fatigue, digestive disorders, physical tension, headaches and so on. Anxiety is a cycle. You feel anxious which increases physical tension and symptoms and further increases anxiety.

Try to reduce the physical tension present in your body with hot baths, (self) massage, and progressive muscle relaxation techniques (you can find videos on you tube). Regular exercise and stretching will help you to reduce physical tension and produce feel good chemicals in your body.

Challenge negative self talk by reminding yourself that these symptoms are caused by anxiety and can't hurt you.

You associate your anxiety with driving as this is where your first episode occurred. Try to persevere with driving and desensitising yourself to anxiety in this situation if at all possible, as avoidance can reinforce anxiety and make your world very small in the long term.

Get plenty of rest, relaxation & good nutrition to aid your recovery. Try different things that work for you as a release for physical tension and anxiety and negative self talk. Most of all, be patient and be kind to yourself.

I wish you well :)

Cat :flowers:

CharlieM
13-03-13, 21:40
Thanks Cat for that lovely post. Made me feel better :D

Walking briskly, rolling my shoulders, stretching my neck muscles and having a bath always help me feel better.

I never get these feelings when I am really busy. Neither when I am asleep. I actually sleep really well. They usually start after I have been awake for between 1 and 2 hours. They always happen when I am resting and usually when I am alone.

I am starting acupressure massage so I will see if that helps and post back.

Thanks again xx

Serenitie
13-03-13, 21:49
Thanks Cat for that lovely post. Made me feel better :D

Walking briskly, rolling my shoulders, stretching my neck muscles and having a bath always help me feel better.

I never get these feelings when I am really busy. Neither when I am asleep. I actually sleep really well. They usually start after I have been awake for between 1 and 2 hours. They always happen when I am resting and usually when I am alone.

I am starting acupressure massage so I will see if that helps and post back.

Thanks again xx

Hi Charlie!

It's great that you have found activities that distract you and bring you relief :yesyes:

Negative thoughts and anxieties often surface during quiet time alone. Just remember there is nothing to worry about. Nothing harmful can come of these thoughts. Try to shrug them off and focus on the things that you enjoy :yesyes:

I'm sure that acupressure massage will be a great physical and mental boost for you! :D I had acupuncture, which is similar and really benefited from it:)

Take care & keep us posted on your progress :)

Cat x

GlobusGirl32
14-03-13, 04:00
Im 23, my first panic attack i was 100% convinced at that time that i was going to die, ill never forget the feeling either. The realness, the symptoms, the physical and mental stress makes it really hard to believe that it can only be anxiety but its real. Its powerful, and it isnt easy. Especially dealing with it alone :/

Pinktel
14-03-13, 07:00
And get yourself started on CBT either through your GP or through the free CBT online endorsed by this website. Distraction is all very well but it is another form of avoidance and until you lose the actual fear of having the panic you will always be at risk of having them.

acmillo
14-03-13, 15:46
It's so true that anxiety strikes during down time. My first attack happened on holiday I will never ever forget the feeling of fear racing through my whole body. I felt so shaken that I spent the rest of the holiday just wanting to be home. Having had CBT through the NHS I find that panic attacks are now fewer and when they do happen the effect is greatly diminished. It's like the CBT allows me to rationalise the feelings and reminds me that I have had these sensations before and no harm came to me. When the anxiety realises it doesn,'t have an audience it just kind of passes.

CharlieM
14-03-13, 17:06
When the anxiety realises it doesn,'t have an audience it just kind of passes.

I like that comment a lot - what a good way of putting it :)

CharlieM
15-03-13, 09:22
Omg. On train to Manchester. Hit by huge wave of panic. Got an important meeting for my business. No chest pain at all, just discomfort under left armpit into shoulder, neck and left arm.

Huge butterflies and a bit of light headedness. Want to go home but know I must persevere.

God this is a tough illness to cope with.

Hope you are all having a better day :)

Col
15-03-13, 10:55
Horrendous hope your doing a bit better x

CharlieM
15-03-13, 11:49
Made it through meeting. Much calmer now - and of course still alive!!! :D

Col
15-03-13, 15:39
I had a wave of panic come over at a friends house my friend is the loveliest person but didn't want to draw attention to myself - I worked through it and acted as normal as I could - I'm home now and like you ALIVE :winks:

CharlieM
19-03-13, 15:13
Been to GP today. He revisited all my ECG tests and has officially diagnosed me with Health Anxiety.

He has referred me for CBT, but because it takes so long, he has also prescribed me Paroxetine 20mg.

I am now scared to take them. Madness, but the side affects scare the hell out of me.

Any advice from you wonderful people????? :hugs:

sandymcg
20-03-13, 11:09
Hi Charlie ..

The most cruel thing about panic / anxiety attacks is that they seem to emulate conditions that are deadly. I find it very hard to get my brain to accept that these physical feelings are not harmful .

hope you are ok today xx

Bekzie
20-03-13, 11:21
It's so true that anxiety strikes during down time. My first attack happened on holiday I will never ever forget the feeling of fear racing through my whole body. I felt so shaken that I spent the rest of the holiday just wanting to be home. Having had CBT through the NHS I find that panic attacks are now fewer and when they do happen the effect is greatly diminished. It's like the CBT allows me to rationalise the feelings and reminds me that I have had these sensations before and no harm came to me. When the anxiety realises it doesn,'t have an audience it just kind of passes.

Wow those last two sentences really hit home with me, I'm going to try CBT.
When the anxiety realises it doesn,'t have an audience it just kind of passes. I love that, excellent quote :yesyes:

Pinktel
20-03-13, 11:40
Cbt4panic, there is a link from this forum to the new web pages, the programme is now totally FREE it is helping a lot of people (myself included) it is the most comprehensive CBT course I have eperienced and beats the NHS version that I undertook hands down. Why wait? You can start reading and completing the worksheets immediately.

Everyone has their own experiences and opinions on meds for neuroses, if you don't think you have a serious seratonin imbalance why not give yourself a few weeks trying just the CBT and see how you get on? If you still feel you need extra support then make a decision about the meds but you are right to question whether or not to start tinkering with your brain chemistry, what you are battling is a learned behavioural response, not a genuine imbalance of neurotransmitters.

tamo
21-03-13, 18:14
Hi Charlie , welcome
Great thread , i relate to your situation . Anxiety symptoms are very powerful and do move around . Ive had dozens of GP consultations and several tests ,bloods etc over the years only to still find it hard to believe this can be caused by nerves but i,m assured there is nothing physical wrong with me . You said What I mean is, 'does the anxiety cause the discomfort or does the discomfort cause the anxiety'? i have ask this same question for years and i believe both parts to be correct . For example i have pulled muscles in my groin and abdomen by tensing/holding tummy in due to stress so if i feel twinges in this area i wonder if its anxiety or real muscle pain . I had a great few weeks of relief in feb but found the last 2 weeks bothersome with back pain and abdomen pain but im assured its nothing serious by GP .

well done for composing an interesting post

good luck

ian hall
21-03-13, 18:37
I like that comment a lot - what a good way of putting it :)
hi if there is one thing i have learned its this and try to remember it
its much harder thinking about something then you doing it,
ian

CharlieM
22-03-13, 09:10
Thanks guys - more excellent responses :hugs:

I have downloaded the CBT packs, and am reading them each day. My Paroxetine is unopened for now.

I am noticing an improvement. When I get the symptoms of a panic attack, I try and embrace them. I tell myself, 'let them do their worst - I'll live through them!'

Guess what, they disappear. I can't actually force a full blown panic attack to occur. The mind is a complex thing.

Thanks again guys for all your supportive comments.

Charlie.

tamo
22-03-13, 13:39
Charlie or anyone where can I DL the CBT packs i,d love to see this :D:yahoo: ?

Thanks

Tom

robinhall
22-03-13, 13:48
Hi Tom

You will find all the information you need in the sticky at the top of this forum or through the link in my signature

Hope that helps
Robin

tamo
22-03-13, 16:23
Thanks Robin , I will be making a donation in due course . Great work

Tom