PDA

View Full Version : Hello, darkness my old friend.

NE21 worrier
13-03-13, 20:20
Hello,
I've posted this intro before in September but I came off these forums straight away then so I think it is best if I start again.

I'm a male, aged 29, living in NE England, still with the parents - no confidence to move out.

I have general anxiety disorder (GAD) though my worries seem to latch onto one thing then another then another.

When I posted before, I said I was primarily worrying about my job - I work in the civil service on a fixed-term basis only and the terms of my contract had changed whereby I was being moved from a back-office administrative role to a frontline contact centre position.

I had previously had problems working in this sort of role, quitting a similar position for the Student Loans Co after just five months in October 2011. It took until I effectively had a nervous breakdown at the start of May 2012 (via being the best man at a wedding in March) when immediately before a holiday to Thailand, I realised I had a bit of a problem.

I went to my GP and was referred to the local NHS Mental Health team. I completed a course of CBT and, while it has helped me manage my anxiety in some ways, in other ways it is there worse than ever.

I am on no medication except Lansoprazole for acid reflux. For the first time, I am considering that I may need some anti-depressant medication.

Now, one thing that helped me settle down recently, hence my lack of posting here, was that the job I went into was not as bad as feared and I actually managed quite well. However, management in their wisdom has decided to change the line of business.

The new line is rather technical and yet we received less than three days of disorganised training, going live again on the phones this afternoon without mentors or floorwalkers.

I didn't understand my first call at all, totally panicked, broke out into a hot flush/sweat/shakes, fobbed the person off, and was given leave for the rest of the afternoon (only about an hour).

I am now dreading going back in tomorrow to do more calls and, instead I'm considering going back to the doctors and asking him to sign me off. However, because I've had one previous sickness absence within the last 12 months last May for a similar thing, I am likely to be put on a Stage One formal action if I do this.

I'm due back in work tomorrow at 11.30 and totally at a loss of what to do. Help!

Insight
13-03-13, 21:51
Hi

That's rough,i know how it feels to be worried sick about work when things haven't sunk in.
My only suggestion would be to come clean with your manager in the morning and tell them you didn't grasp the new stuff so you need to go through it again.

Hope things work out.

BobbyDog
13-03-13, 22:03
This is a really tricky situation. Perhaps go in to work a little earlier than you are due to start. Either have a word with your line manager and explain that you would like him/her to go through the new processes with you. Or, alternatively speak to someone in your HR department, they must be aware of the problems you have had in the past regarding your anxiety. Best to get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

Go and see your doctor, he/she knows your medical history and should be able to point you in the right direction. It will also cover you for any eventuality at work.

I feel for you as I have been in a similar situation.x

durhamlawyer
14-03-13, 14:56
Hey!

Welcome back as it were. I have only been on here a short time but everyone seems really friendly and helpful. I haven't been suffering from anxiety for long, but for it it seems like it can be two steps forward one step back. But, you can get through it. Just remember you are moving forward with it.

On a legal point (being a lawyer) in terms of employment law it's best to see your doctor, even if it's not for a sick note, as you need to have medical evidence if you are worried you may be taking protracted time off work just to cover you.

Things will get better!

ynos
14-03-13, 18:34
:welcome:back