PDA

View Full Version : I'm so scared when I drive!

Nich
13-03-13, 20:42
I recently passed my test, but I am absolutely terrified to drive alone, I did it for the first time earlier, and out of stupidity, I forgot to turn on my lights and another driver was so close to hitting me. My confidence is so shot....I'm scared that I'm going to be in an accident, causing injury to myself and others on the road.

I don't believe I forgot to have my lights on...I can't stop feeling sick to my stomach, and I have to drive back home in the morning. will this feeling ever go away? I feel absolutely fine with another driver in the car.

Loobeyloo
13-03-13, 21:00
Well first off congrats on passing it is hard.

I only just passed in January and on the day of my test I had to fly out to Australia as I was going away for 3 weeks so I didn't drive at all after I passed and had to have my partner in the car when I got back to make sure I could still do it as I was sooooo nervous.

The way that helped me was to just drive back to the shop a few times a day. I no, lazy but it helps. and then when I got used to this I would then drive into town and back every few day just to start to build myself up.
I also built my confidence, by just driving spontaneously e.g if I was just clearning the house I would just think right I need to get in the car and drive round the block or drive to the park and back (something that help me).

With the lights I always think that when it gets to about 5 just put the side lights on then when driving and see someone else full beam on the I always remember to put it on. Sometimes I try to put them on and I have already done it so. Tink it's just a habit u need to pick up!

Hope this helps
:)

Edie
13-03-13, 21:12
Nich, I'm sorry you had this experience. Everyone makes this mistake from time to time. Try not to feel bad about it. I doubt very much you will forget again after the way you feel about this time!

It takes a while to build up confidence after passing your test and driving alone for the first time. Keep at it. This feeling will go away. Maybe ease yourself in more gently with short, easy journeys alone to start with.

You passed your driving test, so you must be perfectly competent. You just made a mistake, everyone does it at some point.

Nich
13-03-13, 21:57
thanks for the support guys, I suppose everyone make mistakes but it could have been costly! I feel more positive about it now!
thankfully the other driver took a second look as he was pulling out :) ill try and take it a bit at a time, I guess I have a lot on my mind at the moment when I'm driving, just hope I settle into it.

thanks again!