PDA

View Full Version : Medication???

lily413
14-03-13, 16:18
Hi guys,

Just wanted some advice. I've had a terrible bout of HA since this xmas. Haven't had a single day off from the intense fear. I've had tons of strange symptoms, and they don't seem to be going anywhere. I'm losing weight, can't bring myself to have a social life, my work personal relationships are suffering. I've been to 6 different doctors and 2 osteopaths, who all think there is nothing physically wrong with me. My bloods are ok. I started CBT with a trainee therapist last week but have booked myself in for private therapy too because I can't bear to spend 8-12 weeks on therapy that doesn't work (I know loads of trainee therapists are probably really good but I just can't afford to risk spending another 3 months feeling like this).

Anyway, my question to you is should I try medication? I've been trying to avoid it but it's becoming very clear that I'm not coping and I have seen no improvement in my situation at all. I'm a mess. I just need something to break this vicious cycle.

Has anyone had any positive/negative experiences of taking medication for anxiety/depression? What type of medication?

My plan is to take something mild for a short period of time while I have the therapy, but I am worried that it will be hard to get off it at the end, and also of possible side effects. Oh and also that I won't be able to listen to my body if something's wrong. (God I'm complicated!!)

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Fred Speed
14-03-13, 16:22
Yes, medicine works - even if its just for a short while to 'clear the fog'. I have suffered from HA for a few years now and I had a bad time a couple of years ago when I had to go onto meds but then I came off them again and had no problems for a year or so.

Then my cat passed away and it triggered things off again. I fought going back onto meds this time but in the end I gave in and they do make me feel so much better about things! I am also waiting for some CBT. My GP told me that the best thing is CBT and meds together.

I had minor side effects this time but nothing as bad as sufferring with HA!

Hope that helps

Christina x

lily413
14-03-13, 16:28
That's really helpful, thanks Fred Speed. I have a doctors appointment this afternoon so will ask my GP about meds.

Thanks again.

acmillo
14-03-13, 16:33
I think of meds as a useful tool which just gives you the breathing space to try and get back on track. I also found CBT to be a very useful aid and one which I felt a good benefit from fairly quickly. Good luck!

Confused&scared
14-03-13, 18:01
I have been on and off fluoxetine for about 3 years. I definitely need it. Started getting intrusive thoughts after Christmas (wasn't taking it at the time) and so went to the doctor and started it again and now I don't get them. Seems to have manifested into HA though and I'm wondering about having my dose increased. I think I will be on it long term, it does help me massively, i have history of mental health problems on both sides of my family.

Pinktel
14-03-13, 18:26
The psychiatric community would regard CBT as the current gold standard treatment for anxiety, with or without meds. Make sure you keep the CBT up that is the key to overcoming this, meds can help you with this also. Try the now free CBT4panic there are links to it somewhere on this website.