PDA

View Full Version : Long time lurker finally posts!

justabovewater
12-09-06, 13:08
Hi everyone
I thought I'd finally introduce myself. I've been lurking for sometime, and benefiting from the wonderful advice on the forum....it's nice to know I'm not an absolute nutter and that all the weird symptoms I have are common and just another sign of my anxiety. :D
I hardly ever speak to anyone about what my panic attacks/depression, so writing this down is probably harder than I ever realised which is why I've been avoiding it recently...convincing myself that it's because I don't have time for writing it (yeah right!). [:P]
I'm known to my friends as HJ and I'm a 26-year-old female living in west London.
I had my first panic attack about 3 years ago, (although I have realised afterwards that I have been suffering from mild panic attacks since childhood...raised heartbeat, feeling sick, hyperventilating etc). I don't really know to this day what brought it on, but it was probably an accumulation of repressed feelings from a few years. I had just finished a university assignment when my mum called that we were having unexpected guests for dinner, and if I had finished could I whip something up. I was alone at home and I remember this feeling of terror suddenly enveloping me, my heart was pounding, I felt sick, I felt dizzy, I couldn't breathe and I was shaking all over. I remember trying to cook whilst I could hardly grip the spoon to stir. :(
When my mum came home, she was really reassuring and said maybe the accumulation of the assignment and the cooking had made me tense, but I couldn't stop shaking. When I went to bed I hardly slept. From here it just got worse, I was living on a constant edge, obsessed with checking my pulse rate, unable to concentrate on anything, having 3/4 panic attacks a day, not sleeping at night despite lavender oil, thinking that I was going to die if I closed my eyes. My biggest fear was that I would die of sudden adult death syndrome -having unfortunately come across an article about it in the newspaper just a week earlier. I'm a hypochondriac at the best of times, but during this time, I was sure I had every fatal disease about.
My family was supportive, but a bit freaked out, my fiancée at the time kept saying "what’s wrong with you, why are you like this, you’re supposed to be strong? Just stop doing this". It goes without saying we broke up a year later, which affected me badly too. But I know it was for the best, he was controlling and manipulative. :(
I made doctors appointment to beg her to have me sectioned because I was totally mad, but before I could go; thank goodness for Google I put in my symptoms and up popped panic attacks. I was so relieved.
The doctor put me on 10mg of citalopram and within 2 weeks I was much better, sleeping at night and only having 3 panic attacks a week
Well, how has it been since then? As my log in name suggests, I am just above water, bobbing about! I have some bad days, and sometimes I am sinking, other days I am swimming although tentatively. But I think on the whole I’m just above water.
I get a lot of depersonalisation which really worried me, but nmp has helped me realise its just anxiety and to not think about it to combat it.
My biggest problem is negative thoughts and how to combat them and also seeing a bleak future. I want to get out of just being ok and feeling great and do something I enjoy. People, from my family to my counsellor suggest I should get a job, or do voluntary work or do a course, but I've tried it and I don’t want to do it. I want to do something else, but I just need to find it. To me my future looks bleak, and I hate the fact I feel that way. Whenever things get tough for me emotionally, I always feel that my death is impending and so I should just sit and wait for it. I suffer from depression too and somedays just sleep for like 6 hrs a day and then 8 hrs at night
At the moment, I’m having trouble sleeping. Just can’t relax.[/size=4]

Anyway, I’m sorry that was so long, that was my long ramble. I know it was a bit here and there but even that gives you some idea of who I am!
Thank you s

manmoor
12-09-06, 13:13
Hi HJ,

A big warm welcome to you. Glad to have you on board. Everyone here is so nice and will give you great advice. We are all here for each other.

Take Care

Mandyxx

mad_shell66
12-09-06, 13:16
heya, welcome to the forum
xx

yorkylover
12-09-06, 13:22
Hi HJ,and welcome.I was glad when I found this site.I thought I was going to be sectioned,I really thought I was going crazy.You will find great advice here and help.
I to have anxiety panic attacks and depression.Im on citalopram as well.
We are all in the same boat here.Anxiety and depression is very tiring.
I have good days with a fair bit of energy and then a day I just cant do a thing.
Im Soooooooo negative,I dont know what possitive is.
Its easy for people to say get a job or do something,but its hard when you have no motivation.
;)

Ellen XX

hayles
12-09-06, 13:45
welcome

Hay x

trac67
12-09-06, 13:45
Hi Hj,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

clickaway
12-09-06, 14:29
Hi HJ,

Glad you found us, so welcome!

I know how hard it is to break out from some of this, but maybe a very small amount of voluntary work in your own community would give you some self-worth.

I did work in a charity shop for three hours a week, and that lasted for a year until I hit a bad patch. I also run a self-help group two evenings a month which I find very rewarding.

Just a thought,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

libbie
12-09-06, 14:33
hi hj. hope you join the chat room, you can meet people there with just the same symptoms as you. i too thought i was going mad!

take care. libbie x

Lindalou64
12-09-06, 14:34
HELLO HJ..........ITS HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WE ARE GOING THRU AS THEY NEVER HAD IT ........WE WISH WE COULD JUST SNAP OUT OF IT.I GOT THAT ONE AT ONE TIME FROM SOMEONE.....LIKE WE REALLY LOVE TO FEEL LIKE THIS BUT I GUESS IN WAYS U CANT GET MAD AT PEOPLE FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING ON WHAT WE GO THRU BUT GEEZE I KNOW ALL I ASK FOR IS TO ACCEPT ME FOR WHO I AM.......AND JUST A LITTLE SUPPORT..YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN...BUT I WISH U THE BEST YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE.BEST TO YA ,,,,,,LINDAXX[8D]

Piglet
12-09-06, 15:14
I can relate to lots of bits of your post and I am glad you found us and now don't need ask to be sectioned (that was a favourite of mine too, although I didn't know you called it sectioning then so I called it carting off[:I]:D)!!

Anyway I am sure you will find lots here to reassure you and maybe you might even like to go in the chatroom sometime? We are due for another quiz night in there soon and thats lots of fun.:D

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

surreylady
12-09-06, 16:47
Hi HJ

welcome to nmp, you will find lots of support here, everyone is so friendly and look out for each other. you are not alone. hope you come in and try chat sometime, i find it really helpful and a great distraction.

all the best
mandy xx

positive attitude brings positive results

ceecee
12-09-06, 21:29
hi welcome to the forum
take care rachel x

justabovewater
12-09-06, 22:27
Hello all
I just logged on tonight after my post and was so happy to receive so many lovely messages. Thank you all for replying and i hope to see you soon in chat

:D
HJ

nomorepanic
12-09-06, 22:46
Hi HJ

A warm welcome aboard.

Recovery is possible and attainable but is hard work I am afraid.

You can do it though.

Hope we can support you through it

Nicola

Eclipse
13-09-06, 09:13
Hi HJ,

You've certainly found the right place and will find yourself among many friends here!! :D

Good luck to you

Best Wishes

Magz
XX