PDA

View Full Version : mirtazapine - swollen ankles

fran43
12-09-06, 14:02
Has anyone had these particular side effect. My ankles ballon up by the evening, so much so that if I push my finger into them they leave dents.

Does this go away with time. I am on 45mg a night and have been on this dose for 3 weeks.

Many thanks.

Fran

Silly Blonde
12-09-06, 14:11
Yes yes yes!!! I suffer in exactly the same way!!! Even more so when its hot and if I've been rushing around all day.

I was on 45mg , then I tried to come off them and dropped down to 30 then 15. I felt so crap I started taking them again and now I'm on 30mg at night.

If you read the leaflet (which is usually my downfall!!) it says that they can cause oedema (which is basically swelling due to water retention).

I never actually noticed it in the winter so I think its probably only an issue when its warm.

Nothing to worry about though.

SB xx

chop
12-09-06, 19:25
Hi
I am on it and dont have the problem BUT I have read the brochure here and it says it can be a medical problem but not normally. I would still go Dr and have it checked. It is probably nothing but better to be safe. I dont think it is life threatening but says to have checked out. (just from what Australia medication leaflet says)

Paul

Learning to under react

traciec39
12-09-06, 23:33
Oh my god i cant believe it!! i posted this question a few days ago,, yes its happening to me too my feet feel really tight and my big toe feels a bit numb.
Have you put on any weight? i feel really bloated and im on 30mgs for just 2 wks now.
Ive bought water fall tablets do u think it will help?

Im really grateful for this, good to know you are not alone with fat ankles (ha ha)

luv tracie

I CAN, I WILL , I AM

tara
13-09-06, 09:36
Hi,

I have just been perscribed these i'm on my 6th day !!
Can I ask how you all are finding them when it comes to your anxiety?
I'm only taking 15mg but have noticed that most of you are on a much higher dose.

Thanks Tara xxxx

Smile...it confuses people.

chop
14-09-06, 01:14
Hi
I am on 60mg at night and it has helped.
It doesnt cure it but it helps my depression and anxiety.

Paul

before one can discover new oceans, one must first have the courage to leave the shore

mili
14-09-06, 22:31
[8D]the doctor put me on 15mgs 1 to be taken at night but felt tired all day after reading this forum i have been taking 2 x15mgs at night as other patients say that the low dose did make you sleepy managing to cope a lot better on the 2 tablets not as sleepy as iwas.does any one else cope on this dosage?

l.m.bell

SWEETSOOTY
10-06-10, 20:34
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE SWOLLEN ANKLES STOP SWELLING WHEN TAKING MIRTAZAPINE??
I HAVE BEEN ON THEM 3 WEEKS AND TAKING 45mg AT NIGHT AND MY ANKLES SWELL UP AND LOOK LIKE I HAVE WATER RETENTION.
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF WATER TABLETS TAKE THE SWELLING DOWN?
THANKS SWEETSOOTY:woof

ElizabethJane
10-06-10, 21:14
:welcome:Hi Sweetsooty welcome to nmp. I have been taking mirtazapine for about two years now and no swollen ankles. I take lithium too which is notorious for fluid retention. I would have a word with your GP about this before taking water tablets. Does this happen in the hot weather or all the time?

JT69
11-06-10, 10:06
Hi Sweetsooty,

I have been taking mirtazipine for 4 months now and I suffered with swollen hands at first and still when I exercise for some reason.

When first taking it my hands did swell up...but it does settle down and if you look at the side effects odema is one of them. I did check it out with my GP and he said it would settle down and it did.

Hope you are feeling the benefit from the meds.

Take care
Jo.xx

moomintroll
27-06-10, 19:53
i have been feeling like a blown up balloon with these too, its horrible, i had to cut the top of my socks one day as they were digging into my ankles so much they had swollen, i also get swollen fingers and bloating:lac:

traciec39
28-06-10, 00:22
Hi There
I took Mirtazipine for about 8 months acouple of years ago, after trying many types of pills over my anxiety battle of 17 years, this 1 was by far the best. However i had to come off them as i put on 2 stone, was always hungry, my feet and legs were so very swollen all the time but worse at night.
When i stopped them within 6 weeks all the weight and the swelling had completly gone. So dont worry any side effects are reversable.
Good Luck
Tracie x

JT69
28-06-10, 18:13
Hi Tracie,

Did you stop meds altogether or start something else??? Just curious.

JO.xx

moomintroll
28-06-10, 20:34
i am already overweight and am hating having put more on with retaining water and the increased appetite, apart from this the tablets seem to be working, why is it we find something that works and the side effects then get us down :weep:, none of my clothes fit me round the waist, its so uncomfy

stacy1912
28-06-10, 21:35
I am in the same boat! Love the fact Mirtazapine is chilling me out and stopping the anxiety, but hate having feet and ankles that look like puffer fish and weight gain on my already hefty frame!!:blush: hey ho will keep on trucking with them and hope that I can control my weight eventually. take care x

traciec39
29-06-10, 00:10
Hi JT and every1
When i stopped the Mirtazipne I left a few weeks before I started on Sertaline, I was a bit worried that the ankles were never gonna go down!!!!! Anyway after a few days they were back to being NORMAL ankles LOL, so the doctor suggested Sertaline and ive been on them ever since (tho i must say they are not as effective as Mirtazipine)
So PLEASE DONT WORRY the ankles and the weight settle very quickly after stopping this medication, I know some people dont get these side effects but I couldnt cope with weight gain, ankles etc.
Good Luck n if you ned anymore help pls conatct me xxx