PDA

View Full Version : Newbie :)

nd267
14-03-13, 21:18
Hello!
My doctor recommended this site to me, and I can see why! Already it's been extremely useful...and it's nice to know I no longer have to suffer alone.

I am a university student studying law in my second year. I've always been an anxious person, ever since i was very little, but since university my anxiety has gotten worse.
I know everyone's stressed at uni, but i've experienced some extreme symptoms. When im in a group of friends and in social situations, i'm absolutely fine...but as soon as i'm on my own, my mind races with the stress of work, deadlines, exams and revision. I experience panic attacks in public places, for example the other day, I was looking at my essay question due in in a few weeks in the library, and i started shaking, sweating, my heart beat increased, I started crying and my mind starts racing. I cant calm myself down. I experience these emotions at least once a day and this is really impeding my ability to have a normal 'good' life- i'm constantly panicked and anxious- its always on my mind.
Last year in my first year exams, I cried excessively before every exam and this really affects my concentration levels and inhibits my performance. I exert so much pressure on myself to be perfect, that when I dont meet these expectations I get extremely upset.

I decided that enough was enough, and that this wasn't a normal reaction to work and exams. I saw my doctor yesterday and he was extremely helpful. He actually listened and let me just spill everything to him; things that I would never say to my mum or my closest friends. Having an objective person to listen was such a help. He 'diagnosed' me with an anxiety condition.

Next week he's teaching me stress relief techniques, but he also discussed medication (SSRI's). Has anyone had these? Have they helped?
We talked about CBT as well, but I think i'm going to start that at the beginning of my third year, as my exams are too soon to allow CBT to work effectively to relieve the anxiety.

I'm sorry ive written a massive post, but it's just nice to be able to talk to people who are in the same position as myself...as none of my friends really get it...
Thanks, Tash x

Insight
14-03-13, 23:12
Hello Tash :welcome:

durhamlawyer
14-03-13, 23:33
Hey Tash!

Welcome to the forums. I haven't been on here long but have found it incredibly helpful so far.

I have just started to have anxiety and panic attacks so I know how frightening and frustrating it can be. I don't have any experience with SSRIs, but CBT is great stuff in my opinion. I think the general consensus in terms of therapy is to start is as soon as possible.

If you don't feel like you want to start CBT now, how about looking at a CBT workbook? I didn't think they would be effective (as a lawyer myself I am very skeptical of most things) but I have found Overcoming Panic and Agoraphobia by Silove and Manicavasagar a complete lifesaver - it has really helped me realise that I am not alone along with this site as well as offering practical CBT advice which I have found amazing.

Good luck with your exams and hope to see you on the legal circuit in the future!

Alex

BobbyDog
15-03-13, 07:27
A self help book suggestion.

I had CBT a couple of years ago with a Psychologist, the book she was using to help me with my anxiety was: The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J Bourne PHD. I have used this for reference on many occasions to help me through difficult times, it is really comprehensive and extremely informative.

Mark13
15-03-13, 17:30
Hello and welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find lots of help and support here.

While we're on the subject of self-help, I found this book of some use:

"Change Your Thinking with CBT" by Dr Sarah Edelman.

nd267
16-03-13, 16:07
Thank you so much for the advice. I'm returning to the doctors on wednesday, so I will ask him about the CBT books. :)
It's just so nice to have people who actually want to help and actually understand the stress of it all. Trying to talk to people at uni is hard...as obviously everyone's under pressure- but for me its more then just the usual pressures. Its actually having a detrimental effect on my life.
So thank you so much for the support xxx

nd267
20-03-13, 21:33
Hello again!
Went to the doctors again and he was extremely helpful! He was happy that i'd been on the site and talked to people, so thank you very much!
He taught me self hypnosis for relaxation- which at first i thought sounded a bit stupid- but it's so effective!!! Never felt so relaxed. Now doing it atleast once a day to train myself, so during a proper panic attack, i can deal with it well!He also prescribed me SSRI's, only for my exam period, because we decided I didnt have enough time to start CBT and for it to be effective, but I am definitely starting CBT in my third year at uni to combat the stress and anxiety once and for all!
Will still purchase one of the CBT books aswell though for the time being- every little helps i guess!
Thanks for your help x :)