PDA

View Full Version : not sure if I am doing the right thing to beat this.

secondanxiety
15-03-13, 02:16
I am very confused, maybe I am looking for some reassurance, hopefully from someone who has recovered from this.

1. Should we confront our fears or distract ourselves from them?

2. From reading on this forum it seems people have anxieties for a long time, like for years. Is that the norm? I've had my anxiety for about 1 month now, and I kind of feel that it's getting better, is it a good sign? Or am I in this for the long shot?

3. I get nervous about the most random stuff, like yesterday my wife told me she wants to move her desk to the den (where I am). And I felt nervous for a moment, this nervousness went away in a minute, but I am so confused why I even felt nervous in the first place?

4. Today I felt fear when my wife told me she has to go on a business trip for a few weeks, this is so weird because I used to enjoy having some time alone, what's up with that?

5. I had an incidence a couple of months ago that I got nauseous after playing an intense video game, and right away I felt dizzy and I was sweating all over. I didn't really feel that I was dying though, was this a panic attack?

6. When this all started I absolutely dread doing anything, I just wanted to pace around and think about why I was feeling this way. Then I decided this was bad and I forced myself to go to work and to do my hobbies, they seemed to help at the moment, but I still get nervous when I am not doing stuff, am I helping myself by forcing myself to do stuff that I don't want to do?

Thanks guy, please help.

Rachy-Rach
15-03-13, 04:01
What started it and have you spoken to your wife about it?

BobbyDog
15-03-13, 07:16
I think you are doing the right thing by confronting your fears, repeated exposure therapy seems to be the way forward, hopefully eventually you will loose the fear by not letting the anxiety control your life.

It does sound as though what you describe was a panic attack.

Your fear of being alone......you will have time to think and your anxiety could take over, keep busy and this may not happen. It is better not to fight the anxiety, that will just make you more stressed, try and accept it for now by not paying it too much attention. Concentrate on work and your hobbies.

Just because some people have suffered with anxiety for a very long time, doesn't mean that you will. There is so much more help now for people with anxiety/depression, like this site and other charities, and of course doctors and counsellors.

Why not visit your GP and explain what has been happening to you over this past few months, he/she may be able to help you move forward and recover.

I hope you get the help and support you need.