PDA

View Full Version : Outsider looking in

TotallyBonkers
15-03-13, 11:05
I haven't really been on this site for all that long so haven't really gotten to know anybody on here all that well, however the advice I have received on here has been great, and also chipped in and offered advice/reassurance when something seemed applicable to me.

My posts have been about a worry of Cervical Cancer with my main anxiety focused on that and also the pap smear.

I conquered that fear, had my pap, got the results that were fine and all the anxiety went away.

Though I do consider myself quite lucky in the sense that I don't really suffer health anxiety on any other level other than the one I just mentioned, where I know some of you worry about many other health issues that are all part and parcel of that dreaded health anxiety.

This forum is a source of support, knowing others out there suffer the same affliction as you and I, but for me personally I have found that when I read the forums and see the other worries people have, I then start to think, "oh I have that" and it has started to get me to worry about other things too. I am almost certain that I am not the only one, and it does make me question to a degree how helpful is reading all the threads really unless something applies specifically to you?

With that in mind, I have decided that I am not going to frequent the forums anymore, not because I am ungrateful for them, they have helped me immensely, but because I am not going to allow my mind to become a slave to health anxiety anymore. I am not worrying about things at the moment, but can feel them build when here, so for me personally I feel its time to bow out.

I wish everyone on here all the very best, someone once said to me to stop seeking reassurance, which at the time hurt, it felt harsh, almost cruel. Yet now I totally agree with it, as its just feeding your fears.

I hope one day you can all get to a place where you are able to LIVE worry free, rather than having Health Anxiety take over your life.

I am in the driving seat from now on, and will no longer be a slave to my mind.

Take care everyone.

Daisy Sue
15-03-13, 11:23
Hi - I'm really pleased to hear you got a good result, and that it's totally put your mind at ease. Sometimes that's all it takes, medical verification that all is well.

I just wanted to say I understand how you feel about the forum having negative effects on us, I've also felt the same sometimes, and I back out of some threads I read because I don't want my head to go there.. then I feel bad for not trying to help that person.. it's a juggling game really, we have to use the forum for whatever we need, and that's the beauty of this place.. no-one judges how often we post, nor whether we're posting for help or to help others.

I hope you'll stay a member and maybe pop in from time to time, and remember it's always here if ever you need support in the future.

All the very best. :)