PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Liver Cancer with the following blood test result and symptoms?

hope4life
16-03-13, 02:22
I am 31 years old with no excessive alcohol (weekend drinking 6-7 standard drinks) consumption but overweight . 178 cm - 108 kgs

Everything started with a strong throat pain and lots of sweat with mild fever at night .... I went to the doctor and gave me some antibiotics for .... When the antibiotics were completed the throat pain was gone but the sweat and low-mild fever continued which made go back to my GP and this time check my chest and said i could have a chest infection and gave me stronger antibiotics ... When i started with this new medication i started noticing shortness of breath ... Not at all times but time to time i felt like catching an extra breath .

This time i was very worried and went to the Hospital which they did a blood test , cardiac test , oxygen test , saliva test and xray on my chest to see what was going on with my shortness of breath and apparently they found one of my diaphragms was elevated . They are currently scheduling me for a lung function test .

During this time I start feeling weakness in my legs and arms , my stools to have clay colour at times ... not all the time and the sweat also continues if i am in a room or area which is slightly warm . I dont feel like myself and start worrying myself a lot and start doing some reading and found out lots of this conditions are due to Liver problems and also liver cancer. I havent notice any yellowing on my eyes or skin , I havent lost my appetite and also maintaining my weight ... I also havent noticed any pain on my abdominal area ... Interesting enough all this symptons started when I decided to stop drinking and didnt drink for 2 months.

I have received my blood test and my doctor has said I have a liver condition but we wouldn't be able to say what it is till we receive the ultrasound results.

The blood test result was showing ;

Sodium 140 mmol
Pot 4.2 mmol
Cholor. 104 mmol
Bicab. 26 mmol
Urea 4.4 mmol
Creat 62 umol
eGFR >90 ml
Urate 0.41 mmol
Gluc 6.3 mmol
Calcium 2.38 mmol
Phos 0.91 mmol
T.Prot 81 g/L
Albumin 42 g/L
Alk.Phos 74/UL
Bili. 22 umol

GGTP 132 U/L (Abnormal)
AST 105 U/L (Abnormal)
ALT 226 U/L (Abnormal)
LD 475 U/L (Abnormal)

Comments ;

Consistent with active hepatocellular damage. Elevated LD may be of hapatic , erythropoietic or tissue origin.

With this results the doctor thinks is unlikely to be cancer but could be hepatitis , gall stones or even a fatty liver... I just need a second opinion ... I have an 8 mths old baby and I am getting lots of stress over all this and the earliest day i can get an ultrasound is on 2 weeks time . Please any help would be so appreciated. My mother passed away last year from gall bladder cancer and seen the whole process is even making more anxious now.

Thanks a lot !!

spacebunnyx
16-03-13, 08:33
Hi,

Sorry to hear your results.. I know how worrying it can be. Fatty liver is common. I know healthy young women (slim, under 30 years, not big drinkers) with it. Like you, they worried as well. I hope you get your answer soon.

xxx

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 ----------

And 6/7 drinks in a weekend is actually quite a lot! (not alcoholic levels... but more than recommended for a woman).

xxx

hope4life
16-03-13, 10:54
I am a male by the way and thanks ...
I would love any other input. Thanks

fruity
16-03-13, 14:24
Please don,t worry. The liver is the ony organ that can repair it self. Unless it,s maybe seiously diseased. Wich yours is not. You are ok. So don.t worry.

steveo
16-03-13, 14:56
Rather than worry (easier said that done) try not to think about it too much until the results are there. As the doctor says, they don't think with those results it's cancer. I know it's going to play on your mind.

The liver is an incredible organ that quite rightly can self heal over time. Alcohol use can throw off everything in our liver and give results like that.

I am a massive worrier. It's in my genes. I've got a life long history of panic disorder and it only took the slightly cut when I was young to cause me screaming into a panic.

As I got older and the internet became available, I discovered how easy it was to google symptoms.

This is led me to the doctors and hospital so many times with what I believe was cancer of the balls, cancer of the blood (turned out I just had a rash), meningitis any time I got the flu, a tumour under my chin (that came up overnight... was a tooth infection), cancer of the nipples (I'm male and in school people gave me one too many 'nipple cripples' which caused swelling) and a few ECGs from heart palps. Each time before the doctor or hospital, I would google symptoms, google cancers, google peoples stories about they first discovered they got those cancers. This caused me to be an utter wreck each and every time. I wish I could count the days and weeks I've spent in utter panic that I was seriously ill. The worst thing medically that's ever happened to me is the flu and an ear infection when I was 6 years old.

My health anxiety has gone now. Obviously if I had anything abnormal in my bloods I would be a bit concerned but for now there is literally nothing you can do but wait and whatever the results are, you can worry about it then. For now, try your very best (I know it's so hard) to not let yourself worry too much.

I do hope everything is ok and I'm sure it will be. Do let us know about any updates. We are all here for you.

Steven x

zippy
16-03-13, 18:37
I have been going through similar things lately. I wasn't feeling well, night sweats, nausea, fatigue etc and my gp done my bloods and my liver enzymes were raised. He also scared me going on about hepatitis, autoimmune stuff, fatty liver etc. I had further bloods took for all kinds and worried waiting for the results. Convinced I had liver cancer and even had a rash which I was convinced was from my liver. My bloods for hepatitis etc were ok. I had my liver ultrasound yesterday and I was a nervous wreck, she checked my liver, gallbladder, kidneys and spleen and everything was ok. So all that googling and convincing myself I had something wrong with my liver was wrong. I don't know why mine was raised either but nothing showed on the scan.
All my other bloods were ok too i.e red and white cells etc.

hope4life
17-03-13, 11:33
Thank you guys !!
It is amazing how you can find amazing and warm hearted people on the internet ...
I am a bit more confident on the results as my stool went back to normal dark brown colour and my legs dont feel as weak.
They did gave me three different courses of strong antibiotics to help me with the supposedly chest and throat infection ... I am thinking by having the break from those now it may have helped the liver... Not sure how much effect do antibiotics have with the liver but I am guessing significant as it has to process it somehow...
Anyways I am bit more happy and not as worried but wanted to thank you for the great help guys. You guys are helping people in need and doing a very good deed even if you dont realize it . thanks

steveo
17-03-13, 12:33
Not sure if I read your post wrong, so forgive me if I have, but you said you're having a break from those? Do you mean the antibiotics? You probably don't mean that but just to make it clear, never ever stop a course of antibiotics. Always run the whole course through.

I have probably misread though :)

All the very best my friend! And keep us updated :) xxx

hope4life
17-03-13, 22:20
I meant the antibiotics were finished ... they gave me three different courses of antibiotics and finished them all but is been few days now without them and was wondering those could be the ones affecting the liver... Just a guess not sure as i feel better. Cheers

hope4life
22-04-13, 22:49
Okay guys … The did an ultrasound for the liver and all came clean…
Then i started spitting strings of blood and they did an upper CT which was clear and my new blood tests were so much better !
I am so happy now… Thanks for all the help