PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and please help me

SydField2.0
16-03-13, 06:51
Hi all, I'm Syd. Well, that's not my real name, but I ask you to forgive me if I want to keep it to myself for now.

WARNING: graphical description of saliva, blinking and breathing obsession follow. Don't read if there's a chance that it'll disturb you.

Basically, I'm coming here asking for much needed help. I've been suffering, for far too many years I think, of obsessive thoughts concerning my blinking, my salivation, and my breathing. While I'm pretty well aware that these processes work well enough when I'm not aware of them, once I think about them it's another story... When I do, the thought tends to linger, and my mind starts panicking while I'm stuck fighting a battle not to influence said processes.

Right now I'm having a saliva crisis... and it makes me really anxious. It's not just a thought, you see. I can't seem to shake the feeling, the awareness of my mouth -- I'm uncharacteristically aware of the sensations in my mouth, particularly the feeling of saliva clinging to walls, accumulating, threatening me with having to swallow it. I don't want that!

Any guidance -- and/or reassuring testimony that this problem can be overcome -- will be more than welcome.

---------- Post added 16-03-13 at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was 15-03-13 at 20:52 ----------

Hello?

Pipkin
16-03-13, 07:53
A warm :welcome: Syd!

I'm afraid I can't really offer you any advice as I don't have experience of your type of anxiety. I would like to say you've come to a great site and I know you'll meet some lovely, supportive people here.

Take care

Pip x

sunshine1
16-03-13, 08:26
Hi Syd and welcome to the forum! I do not have any experience with the issues you are having. Have you thought about trying some CBT for your anxiety about your saliva etc.? This can be helpful in rationalising the thinking that you are having.

Mark13
16-03-13, 22:47
Glad to have you with us.

I've found a great deal of support and guidance since I've been here.

I'm sure you will too.

SydField2.0
18-03-13, 22:16
Thank you guys. I'll definitely speak to my shrink about CBT, and start looking for CBT books on the subject.

Well, my situation causes sufficient anxiety to warrant 225 mg. Anaphranyl, and I still had a serious setback the day when I made that first post. It's a bit unsettling to think I'm already taking that much medication and still need something else.