PDA

View Full Version : Hi, bit long, but please post

elemden
12-09-06, 23:53
Hi all,
This is the first evening I've been on here.

I need to do something about my phobia. I've avoided it for too many years and just don't know where to turn.

I have a phobia of people eating around me. It has developed over the last 20 or so years from a niggling problem into full-blown panic attacks at the stupidest things (people chewing gum on tv...the smell of toothpaste...). I can't eat with my family, use public transport, go to cinemas or theatres...so many situations!

I had 1 session of psychotherapy just over 6 years ago but hated it and didn't go again. I've recently changed gp's and don't really want to see a doctor that's a stranger. I don't know what to do next.

I'm not even sure that this is the right place to post like this, but I'm desperate to talk to someone that understands.

ele

clickaway
13-09-06, 00:15
Hi Ele,

There are plenty of people on here that do have an understanding, believe me.

I am afraid the only way to get over this fear is to confront it, and not to run away.

I think No Panic (see their website) run telephone courses which you may find helpful. They are run by people who are or have suffered phobias themselves. When ringing them up, also ask to see if there's a self help group in your area, as they hold a directory of them. And remember, people won't be eating there!

Take Care Now,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

mad_shell66
13-09-06, 08:16
hiya ele, im sure there are plenty of people on the site who go through the same as you, so you will have plenty of advice
welcome to the forum
shellxx:D

Eclipse
13-09-06, 09:32
Hi ele
Welcome to the forum:D
Best Wishes
Magz
XX

polly daydream
14-09-06, 12:00
Hi Ele and welcome to the forum.