PDA

View Full Version : Scared, is this reflux or anxiety?

Orange Lightning
18-03-13, 19:27
Sorry to post so much but I've got such a long wait until I can get medical attention and I'm only getting worse. I'm on lansoprazole, gaviscon advance and sertraline at the moment. I've strictly controlled my diet; no caffeine and spices, virtually no sugar and processed foods, less dairy. I'm trying to be active and keep myself busy or drink more water AND I've got a wedge pillow to raise the bed head at night. Yet despite all these precautions my reflux-like problems continue. I'm really at a loss and worried I may be one of those "severe" cases but that I won't get surgery for it if I am. Every day without fail I get:

- Wet belches; they don't burn but they still cause other symptoms.
- Loads of post nasal drip and a lump throat feeling.
- Sore throat which lozenges hardly affect.
- Feeling of liquid "pooling" in my throat while eating. This does burn!
- Hot burning feeling across my body but mostly on my tongue, forehead, face (!) and back of neck.
- "Hungry" feeling/gurgling
- Trouble swallowing when throat is really tight. Even water gets stuck.

Anxiety? Even with the setraline? That possibilty is the only thing that keeps me sane. I don't want anything for the rest of my life, I'm only 21!

anxietyoverload
18-03-13, 19:30
Since iv started sertraline I get reflux! It's horrid and keeps me up all night!

HoneyLove
18-03-13, 23:03
Hey there, I've had a lot of this stuff too with reflux issues. Just thought I'd ask how long you've been keeping up this routine?

My doctors told me that it takes around 2 months for you to feel the full benefit of these drugs, and also that they must be taken on an empty stomach to work well. Eventually things did improve for me, but they still get bad again if I eat badly or if I get stressed/anxious.

So one of the best things you can do to help yourself is begin to learn some stress management and help your stomach to be able to relax.

I also find that a teaspoon each of aloe vera juice and high quality manuka honey, taken twice a day on an empty stomach, does wonders for these kinds of problems. The manuka honey in particular is a great healer and will help your throat as well as stomach. If you decide to take them make sure they're compatible with whatever else you're on! X

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Oh and also thought I'd mention that I found it far more beneficial to take the omeprazole in two separate doses - one before breakfast and one before dinner (about 30 mins before eating). This spreads the effect out throughout the day, and helped me sleep much better.

If you decide to give this a try, don't cut your pills in half! They need to be in one piece to work properly. Instead ask your pharmacist to give them to you in half doses. For example, I take 40mg of omeprazole a day, but I ask my pharmacist to give them to me in 20mg tablets and take one at each end of the day. I just find it works far better that way.