PDA

View Full Version : does it ever fully go?

MissC
19-03-13, 00:18
Sorry, not sure if this is in the right place.
So, ive been trying to be positive over anxiety and panic attacks and with the help of myself and CBT I looked forward to be rid of these forever....but...and I do love this board its a great place and I enjoy reading other peoples posts...anyway..ive noticed quiet a few posts that have said they have been rid of panic or anxiety for so many weeks months and some years and its back again :( do we ever truly get rid of it?
The thought of a life long battle with it just sounds exhausting.
What you guys think?
X

kutuup
19-03-13, 02:11
In my experience as a current GAD sufferer, it doesn't ever FULLY go away in most cases, it does however improve to a point where you experience symptoms EXTREMELY rarely. I say this because both my mother and uncle suffer from anxiety, they've both been through treatment and now maybe get symptoms once a year at the most, and even then the symptoms are nowhere near as severe as when the illness was fresh. I would say people with anxiety disorders will always have a tendency to anxiousness, but it can be overcome with experience and the right treatment. It's something that will likely always be a part of your life, but a smaller and smaller part over time. It won't always be a battle, it will eventually become an occasional mild annoyance.

Hope you are well :)

Lilharry
19-03-13, 02:49
I would agree with what kutuup has said above. It's different for everyone and you should always hold on to the hope that you can and will feel better. It's better to look at one day at a time than to worry too much about how you might feel in the future. Everyone in the world suffers from anxiety from time to time, but most people have more good days than bad days. You are going through a rough patch right now, but there will be a time when you realise you have been feeling good more often than not. Putting the effort in now by doing the CBT etc will really really help you and you will always be able to fall back on that when you have bad days in the future. Anxiety is crap, BUT i have to say, I've learnt so much about myself and about how to handle different situations that I never would have if I hadn't been through this.

Edie
19-03-13, 03:39
I think that for many of us, the reason we got anxiety was because we are natural worriers. That tendency is a very difficult one to change. There is massive scope for improvement, and many of us will improve to the point of no longer meeting the diagnostic criteria, but I think there will always be some worrying in my life. I don't think it has to be a constant battle though, because you can learn coping skills and get better and better at using them.

MissC
19-03-13, 09:38
Morning guys, thanks for your replies. Yes definitely natural worriers, I dont do well with uncertainty, but like it was said overtime im sure coping will be easier, the brain is a fascinating thing huh!
X

steveo
19-03-13, 09:57
I thought this myself. I'm a life long sufferer since 5 years old (am 28 now). I thought I saw the last of it a few years back as I was getting better and better each year and then this year I've suffered a full blown mental breakdown so I'm back to square 1 again with treatment, medication etc.

My mum also has had anxiety most of her life and it keeps coming back to her throughout her life. Infact last September she had a huge breakdown herself.

That really made me worry about my future. I've hopefully got a fair few years ahead of me and I'm going to be experiencing lots of real life stressors (something I haven't really had to deal with yet) and I don't really want to go through this sort of mental anguish again.

The flip side of this is that my breakdown was caused by medication and as was my mums.

However much therapy and medication we take, I don't think this ever fully leaves us but I do hope and think it becomes completely managable. I try not to think too much about it.

MissC
19-03-13, 10:08
Hi steveo, sorry to hear what you and your mum are going through :(
I wont take medication its yet another fear of mine...allergic reactions so wont take any pills drugs etc, so hopefully the cbt and myself will sort it to managable at least...
Do you think medication just masks things that one day we must face?
X

Brunette
19-03-13, 10:17
"Do you think medication just masks things that one day we must face?"

Yes.

Medication treats the symptoms not the cause. Unless you get in touch with your anxiety, learn what causes it and how to cope with it, it will always be there underneath.

MissC
19-03-13, 10:25
"Do you think medication just masks things that one day we must face?"

Yes.

Medication treats the symptoms not the cause. Unless you get in touch with your anxiety, learn what causes it and how to cope with it, it will always be there underneath.

Thanks for your reply...I understand how people can want medication to help, im just more of a try and sit through it kinda person, which sometimes makes me feel like my own worse enemy.
People who are medicating are you facing your anxieties aswell while medicating? And will you have to go throigh it all again when you stop the medication or is the medication a life kind of thing?
Sorry for all the questions I just like to be in the know and clear in my head about things
X

steveo
19-03-13, 10:25
I spent 11 years learning the underlying causes and slowly getting myself back to full health. It was the coming off of the mediation after 11 that caused my anxiety and stress to go through the roof like never before. This is out of my control. The long term medication use has caused some severe problems within my brain which is why I'm 100 times worse than I've ever been in my entire life, even long before the meds.

I don't think medication is the right answer to a permanent cure at all. Therapy and understanding is. Had I been offered that 11 years ago instead of this medication, I truly believe I would be in a better state.

MissC
19-03-13, 10:32
Out of curiosity steveo what would happen if you stopped the medication? (Can I just add im not saying do it and obviously it would be worked within through and with your dr im just wondering)
X

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

Sorry ive just read what happened when you stopped medication. Morning brain sorry....dont you ever want to come off it slowly maybe or now with the help of therapy? X

steveo
19-03-13, 10:42
I want to come off the medication so badly!

I took them due to a slightly bad period of time in my life at 17. My 'teens' kicked in rather late and I was uncertain about the future. Normal! So I was whacked on SSRI's. Stayed on them for 11 years after being very anxiety free for most of those years. Everytime I tried to come off, the doctors suggested I didn't for whatever reasons.

I slowly slowly came off last year after being ABSOLUTELY 100% fine and had been fine for many many years through my own coping techniques.

Now in January, anxiety came back to a level that I didn't know was possible. I could feel myself getting worse and worse since coming off the meds. I've never EVER been this bad in my entire life. Not even close, and I've had this since I was 5 years old!!

I have had no choice but to try and get myself back on the medication again now because of the hell I was going through. I'm still in hell as my old SSRI didn't work again so after 2 and a half months of nothing but side effects, I'm now 8 days into a new SSRI.

So that's what happened when I stopped my medication. Anxiety is a COGNITIVE issue so needs to be address COGNITIVELY. Medication attempts to mask the problem and its much cheaper and easier for gps to hand out pills rather than get you therapy to tackle the root cause of the problem and where you can learn to address your anxiety.

I think it's too late for me. I think now I'm going to have to be a life long customer to the pharmaceutical industry just so the problem never comes back. At 28 years old, that's not a nice thought.

So I believe, yes anxiety will go away, providing you haven't had your brain chemicals messed around with by medication for too long and that you're able to have proper therapy and learn proper cognitive techniques. This stay with you for life.

MissC
19-03-13, 10:52
Thanks for replying steveo...just tell me if im being too intrusive.
Ive just turned 30 and never expected life to be like this.
Have you spoke to your DR about CBT or therapy? I often think my dr dislikes me or I do her head in and just thought she was passing the buck to someone else so to speak as I couldnt take the medication, after 10 days of fluoxotine I had face swelling I went to my local walkin and they told me to stay off the meds and lie on my back until the swelling went otherwise the lump would move down to my throat and cause breathing problems she wasnt a nice nurse and nor do I think she read about me being anxious problems. Anyway this is what started my panic attacks and stopped me taking any kind of medication. In a way im glad I had that reaction otherwise I think id be stuck I a vicious cycle with medication masking HD and PA. But on the other hand it didnt help as now I won t take anything the dr wants me to take as im petrified of side effects and being allergic.
Its sad though that they throw drugs at it first...I wonder how many people if they had the choice would choose drugs over cbt or any other therapies x

steveo
19-03-13, 11:06
No problem. You're not being the least bit intrusive. I'm a very similar age to you and I too, never thought that my life would be this bad for no apparently reason.
I've spoken to several doctors about CBT. The basic fact is, it's just not readily available on the NHS and if it is, you might have to wait months and months for it and then only be restricted to a few sessions. The alternative is you pay for it privately which can cost alot of money.

Doctors have a 10 minute slot. They know that when a patient walks in and complains about anxiety etc, there is NOTHING they can do there are then. So they prescribe anti depressants and send you on your way. They are very cheap and fairly safe as you can't really do too much damage on them.
Alot of nurses know very little about this subject too. You can trust me on that one as I have a nursing degree and did one afternoon training on mental health issues. It's only through personal experience and curiosity, that I'm well read up on anxiety issues and medication. I used my spare time in the libraries at uni to read hours and hours an hours of trials and research for my own personal interest. I have access to all of the publications and journals.

At 17, I was very happy leaving the doctors with some small white tablets called Anti Depressants. I was told nothing about them. I just got told to take one a day and it will make me better. Wonderful!!!! Who wouldn't want that?!

11 years later, it took me a year to come off the drugs after horrible withdrawals, followed by something worse than a relapse. A relapse would suggest I am back to where I was before I took the meds. This is worse. I WISH I could get back to the state I was in at 17!! At least then I wouldn't be spending my entire day curled up in a ball crying my eyes out, scared of my own shadow and wanting to end my life.

This is my own story anyway. A lot of other people on here will say that drugs changed their life for the best, and now they are drug free and have an amazing life. But from my years of research, my background medical knowledge, my working for the NHS, a life time of anxiety starting at 5 and this incident which is happening to me now, I have a fairly good basis for my argument.

MissC
19-03-13, 11:14
Dont you think that therapists are being used more now though? Id never heard of CBT before I was told they were sending me and I only had to wait a few weeks before I was seen, I was told though it would be for about 12-16 weeks that I could see them and already I have passed that and it doesnt seem like we are anywhere near finished,*maybe it depends on he area in which you live or something, im in merseyside, tbh I dont know where or what place I would be in right now if it wasnt for Cbt.
It is definitely something that nurses etc should be more aware of though, ok if she hadnt mentioned breathing difficulties I dont think id of started with PA's ok yes maybe something later on would cause them but I blame the nurse for not reading my file, im sure she could of put it in a nicer way to be as to not cause panic, sometimes its just kiddie gloves that are needed.
Although thanks to this board I dont feel soo alone with it any more, although ill need help with an addiction to this forum soon lol x

Brunette
20-03-13, 13:48
Steveo I have to say I feel for you and I'm only glad my GP never suggested medication - if she had I would have refused. She did all the blood tests and stuff and that was all I wanted her to do, just to be sure there wasn't a medical reason behind the anxiety. I figured it was actually up to me to sort myself out so I went away and read everything I could about anxiety and within 6 months was over the worst.

I've read stories on this forum where people have clearly being going through grief after a trauma or bereavement and have been given medication. So wrong! This stuff is horrible but completely normal and we all have to go through it at some stage. You need time, lots of time, and perhaps something to help you sleep in the early stages and that's all.

It is often completely inappropriate to prescribe medication and, as you say, just way of getting rid of you so that the doctor can move on to the next patient.

I do hope that, with all your knowledge, you can eventually live a life med-free.

novangel
20-03-13, 14:58
I spent 11 years learning the underlying causes and slowly getting myself back to full health. It was the coming off of the mediation after 11 that caused my anxiety and stress to go through the roof like never before. This is out of my control. The long term medication use has caused some severe problems within my brain which is why I'm 100 times worse than I've ever been in my entire life, even long before the meds.

Hearing stuff like this scares me but my anxiety/panic was through the roof and out of control in the first place; which backed me into a corner making meds as a must. I fought hard not to be on meds but I had to give in. Double-edged sword I suppose.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

In regards to the OP; I had panic disorder in my late teens/early 20's that completely went away for over 10 years. It returned only after a traumtic event at 32. :(

luckygibbo
20-03-13, 15:45
It is the most vexing of all questions for those who suffer panic/anxiety attacks. The frustrating thing is that it varies from person to person. God Bless you and I hope things eventually look up.

Lilharry
20-03-13, 20:35
I have found this thread an interesting read, particularly in regards to medication. I have suffered from anxiety most of my life, but for the most part I functioned at a high level. That was until I got a new job in my mid-late 20s. I started panicking over going to meetings and felt yucky every time I went to work, so off I went to the doctor. Of course they gave me a pill and said take this and you'll feel better. For a week I felt great - totally on top of things and in control, then one night I woke up in a real state. The adrenaline was pumping, I was hallucinating and I was terrified. I went to hospital where they told me I was fine, but from that day on I had severe agoraphobia, haven't been able to sleep properly, severe anxiety, drug phobia, the list goes on. Through a lot of hard work I am now functional and I put that down to counselling and Cbt. I am still very angry about being prescribed drugs with no mention that they could make me feel worse and no mention of alternative therapy. That one episode has stolen years of my life. Maybe something like that would have happened without the drugs, i'll never know, but I know for certain that people with mental problems NEED counselling. Drugs might make you feel better but they don't teach you coping strategies.

Steveo - I know you believe that you will never be the same, but you need to believe that you can get there. What you're going through, though its awful, sounds normal and there is light at the end, so please don't give up hope. U just need to learn new ways of coping with anxiety. It takes time, but you will get there.

MissC
22-03-13, 10:39
Thanks for all your input guide, it does discust me how quick gps are to perscribe drugs and send you on your way..im glad I cant take them...it means I have no choice but to face up to what im going through and taxkling things head on....easier said than done I know..but I do truely believe that you need to face tthings and sit the anxiety out even if its just exposure a little at a time no matter for how long it takes.

And of course id like to wish you all strength through these tough times x

tamo
22-03-13, 11:42
Hi MissC

Please dont look too far ahead , a day at a time is enough . Yes you are correct in that people do have setbacks after weeks months or years but as Edie said ( bless you Edie) we are worriers ( me in a nutshell) , if we can look closer at why we have a setback we will usually find that our thinking about something negative for too long has set it off but the thing is we don't realise we ARE worrying then we find ourselves in panic out of the blue as has recently happened to me ( I have a stabbing groin pain and been worrying its something bad but had all the tests and it mechanical as they put it , i mean im 56 now so I need to accept I will get mechanical problems such as hip soreness ,joint wear and tear , so yes Edie we are worriers , i wish I could switch the worry to permanent OFF and im positive I would be free of ALL anxiety / panic .

You will be fine MissC , live for today .

As for Medication , I refused every one of them for years as I tried one once years ago and had a horrible reaction .

I 100% believe the way out of this is by re training our entire system both body and mind . I love Claire Weekes books and audios ,everything she says is right but its switching the worry off is my biggest challenge .

:ohmy:

Torri
25-03-13, 21:13
i do believe in understanding the condition i have been on all sorts of meds for my condition which is panic disorder and argophobia, i gave up on the what the doctors have prescribed me as it didnt work i have now been very open about my condition to family and friends and tell them if i have a moment they need to understand i need to "get out" lol, i am fighting these conditions and that seems to be working for me.....my poor other half has taken the prunt of this when i have been out and im in a state of panic and in tears saying "i wanna go home now" i have realised it does pass but it will always be there with me and has taken over my life for the last 2 year but i will keep fighting it, whether it does make me look like a miserable cow