PDA

View Full Version : Please reply.. dental referral for tongue. So scared

Hypo
19-03-13, 16:34
I just got back from the dentist and now I am really scared.

My anxiety has been focused around oral cancer for a while now. A month ago I went to my dentist twice in one week about two bumps on my tongue and he said it was fine.

Today was my routine clean and before we started I asked him to check out my tongue again :paranoid I found two soft fleshy looking lumps underneath the tongue at the back of my tongue that dh said must be normal as they are identical both sides and this is what I was hoping to get reassurance for today. He had a brief look and said he will refer me but I don't think he looked at the ones under my tongue.

I was no longer worrying about the bumps on the side as I have had them for years. It was the fleshy looking ones underneath.

I heard him talking to the dental nurse and he said that on the referral he wanted her to put "patient been three times in fear of oral cancer so asking for referal"

I asked him again if he thought it was cancer then and he just said I prefer to refer you but the first time I went he spent ages reassuring me :paranoid

So now I am totally scared he thinks I have tongue cancer :(

Mogwog
19-03-13, 16:38
I think you're fine. From an outsiders point of view I think he is referring you for your own piece of mind not because he is worried. Especially after what he said to the nurse.

You're ok.xxxxx

Hypo
19-03-13, 16:41
I am 31, isn't it rare in my age group?

I am an ex smoker.

Mogwog
19-03-13, 16:44
Extremely rare -I thought I had tongue cancer once (I'm also 31) I remember reading it was most often found in people 65-70.x

Hypo
19-03-13, 16:49
perhaps other people have those lumps at the back of their tongue.. just underneath at the back.

Thank you. I don't know how long I will have to wait for. How am I meant to get through it? it could take months to be seen.

Annie0904
19-03-13, 18:52
I am sure as Mogwog has already said that he has referred you just to reassure you as you keep asking him. I am sure he is thinking that if you have a second opinion then you will be more reassured.

Lilharry
19-03-13, 21:54
Sounds like the dentist is referring you for peace of mind more than anything. Try and put it out of your head until you've been assessed by your doctor. Worrying about it isn't going to change anything and it's hihgly unlikely that it's anything bad.