PDA

View Full Version : Work wants me to do a 5am start

phil06
20-03-13, 11:19
I work on retail and switched to another shop and I got backshifts from lunchtime to evening but its a smaller shop and they want me to cover some 5am shifts and I can't seem to get out of it. I like my late 3am nights and struggle to go to bed. In the first week I reluctantly agreed to 7am for a few days but 5am means getting up alot earlier and I'm getting quite anxious about it all and may end up looking for another job again. :blush:

phil06
24-03-13, 19:40
Anybody?

Bekzie
24-03-13, 19:44
Hi Phil,
I would give it a try and see how it goes, if you can't manage it try talikng to your boss and see if there is anything they can do to help you.

theharvestmouse
24-03-13, 19:45
How many 5am shifts do you have to do? What is it that's making you anxious about it?

phil06
25-03-13, 12:48
Well where do I start?

Phoned in sick today, feel ill..stressed, chest pains ect..

I was sort of awake but couldn't cope I was up at every hour, very little sleep..

I really find it hard working between 10pm - 5am or 6am these starts are difficult the only one I ever done was a 6.45 job I got up at 5.50 for but this means 4am to get up and it's hard,

I tried to discuss it with the employer and as it was a one off, not many of these 5am starts he thinks it would be ok. My family have had a go at me for it and not being understanding.

Maybe I will be out of a job but I feel so let down by people forcing this move on me. I never wanted to switch stores but people made it like I was silly If I never moved.

Now I have no idea what to say to the boss...:shrug::weep:

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Also I'm working 4 days instead of three so that's an extra day on it's own plus the lunch break is 30 mins not 1 hour so I'm worried with that too..sometimes I get bowel issues and get stuck in the toilet for ages..

Haunted
25-03-13, 13:44
Can I ask what is it specifically that bothers you about starting work at a different time? What is it about either your job or shift-times that cause your anxiety?

I know what it's like to have work-related anxiety, trust that you can get through this with support.

phil06
25-03-13, 13:51
Can I ask what is it specifically that bothers you about starting work at a different time? What is it about either your job or shift-times that cause your anxiety?

I know what it's like to have work-related anxiety, trust that you can get through this with support.

Just I stay up late and struggle to sleep early..also there's no buses to take me to work so I have to walk.

Haunted
25-03-13, 15:29
Sounds unfair of your manager to me, if you have issues changing your shifts.

If there's no transport to get you to work at that time, and you don't drive, you should be able to talk to your manager and make a compromise. Is he or she generally understanding? Does your manager know anything of your anxiety and how this might be contributing?

phil06
25-03-13, 15:58
The store I moved to is closer to home so there attitude seems to be I can walk it for 5am starts.

phil06
29-03-13, 23:47
Update:

I got someone to cover the shift this week. I've been getting so anxious worrying if I will be out a job over it.

Spoke to the boss the odd 5am is necessary no way out of
It. I asked worst case I can't cope I can move stores he said yes.

Looks like I have try the 5am how can I cope? It may only be one every month or six months but I'm still worried. :huh:

Bekzie
29-03-13, 23:57
At least now you know you can change stores if you can't manage it now. If it only the odd early start you may be alright doing it.