PDA

View Full Version : Offended GP appears to have given up - advice please

Oatcake
21-03-13, 09:24
My doctors are part of a large practice (15 GPs work in my branch at any one time) and I've got no named GP, so I tend to just take an appointment with whoever is free.

When this bout of GAD flared up, I wound up with a locum at their urgent care clinic. He was brilliant. He listened and suggested loads of ways of dealing with the problem. However, being a locum, my next appointment was with another doctor, who I'll call Dr S. She is an incredibly kind and patient lady, but didn't appear to know much about GAD and gave me a prescription for Mirtazapine, as she could see from my history that the usual first choice SSRIs hadn't really helped.

Looking up Mirtazapine, I was a bit worried about its side effects, and decided I didn't want to take it, so made an appointment with the only available doctor, who I'll call Dr J. Dr J is new, and doesn't appear to know a lot about GAD either. She refused to entertain prescribing pregablin or buspar, and put me on Amitryptaline, which was a disaster. I became moody and short tempered, and had to be within running distance of a toilet at all times :blush: Stopped taking that after a week, and the better part of a family pack of Andrex.

Yesterday, I went back to Dr J. She skim-read the Occy Health report, which quite explicitly said "I advise this patient to contact her GP to discuss different approaches". When I said that the Ami hadn't worked, she did not seem impressed, and said "There doesn't appear to be anything more we can do for you medically. The only thing I can do is refer you for counselling". When I said that I wasn't stable enough to talk to a counsellor at the moment, she made it quite clear we were done, renewed my sickness certificate for a month, turned around and started typing on her computer.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be on pills - nobody does! If she genuinely thinks I don't need them, that's good news. I am feeling a bit better at home, but the thought of facing my work again literally sends me into a panic attack. Maybe she was miffed that an occupational health doctor has made recommendations on how I should be treated, which could be seen as critical of her, and she's offended? :shrug: I guess I'd be a bit miffed if someone suggested I'd treated a patient incorrectly.

Dr J asked me to go back to see her in 3 weeks, and she'll review the situation then. I don't know if she's the right doctor for me though. However, she knows me, and the situation pretty well. What do you think?

LilyPad1991
21-03-13, 09:49
Hello there :) I completely understand what you're going through, it can be difficult to come to an agreement with your GP about your treatment. Could you perhaps ask to be referred to a psychiatrist? In my personal experience, after various 'intensities' of CBT, my GP sent me to a psychiatrist which was the best thing. She also acknowledged that SSRIs weren't working very well and at the end of the consultation gave me a list of options of SNRI's and a bit of info about each. She also recommended I look for some info on the the electronic medical compendium (she provided the website address.) I did some reading and decided on Cymbalta as the drug with the least unpleasant reported side effects. My GP agreed with my decision and I have been on Cymbalta for nearly a year now; it has made my life worth living.

If I were you, I would push for a psychiatrist appointment. I know how hard it can be to get referred but if you stress how much you want to get back to work and how you feel the correct medication would help you with gaining stability in your mood.

Private message me if you ever want a chat :)

Let me know how you get on.

Lily xx