PDA

View Full Version : ThemePark

BubblegumUK
21-03-13, 17:55
Hey,

I used to love themeparks and rollercoasters, used to love to bits. The last time i went to one was in 2007 to Alton Towers and went on all the biggie slike Nemesis, Oblivion etc...since then my anxiety has increased a lot, a hell of a lot. I hate being in situations i can't escape from. I'm going to Thorpe Park this Tuesday coming, but i'm getting anxious now incase i panic whilst going up the lift hill on a coaster or panic mid-way through a ride. I know i used to love all these rides, i want to ride them again but just a bit anxious about the what-ifs...

Anybody been in a similar situation? Anybody panicked on a coaster or ride?

Thanks

steveo
21-03-13, 18:11
Oh God I know exactly what you mean. Apart from this year, I've been anxiety free for many years.

A couple of summers ago, me and my friends went camping in West Wales and went to a rubbish theme park down there. It was fun but, there's one ride which is just like a straight up tower. You sit in and it shoots you up to the top and down, up and down etc.

When I sat in the seat and the bit chunky barrier came down over my shoulders and pressed tightly against my chest and belly.... oh god. That was horrible. I imagined it being stuck.

It's a very claustrophobic feeling!!! You're not alone. I don't mind the wildest rides ever but it's the being trapped in the seat that is the real scare point for me.

BubblegumUK
24-03-13, 09:50
Thanks Steve :)

I'm not sure how i'll cope with the harness going over the shoulders now, i know coasters are designed to make you feel anxious anyway but it doesn't help when you're already an anxious person! lol

I guess what i'm more scared about is panicking half way through the ride and not being able to get off the ride, and the other is getting off the ride and going queezy and fainting :/ its never once happened to me, ever.

Hopefully i'll be okay, i'm sure the adrenaline of going fast will over ride the adrenaline of panic...i hope!

Col
24-03-13, 09:56
Fingers crossed but I couldn't do this & I've been on the big Pepsi max Blackpool and many others. Your very very brave!

steveo
24-03-13, 21:30
I wouldn't even let it worry you to be honest. Just don't go on the rides. When I went last summer with a few mates, one of our mates paid the £25 entry to the place but didn't go on a single ride. Just hates rides. Doesn't have anxiety or anything. Just not a fan of anything like this.

And if you do go on the rides, then the adrenaline will be focused to the ride and not anxiety so it will be ok :)

Plus you can get away with screaming at a theme park and it's perfectly normal! It's the one place you can get away with having the worst panic attack completely unnoticed!

Tish
25-03-13, 05:41
I've always loved theme parks and the scarier the ride the better. However, I went to one about 18months ago and suddenly couldn't face any of the rides. I just couldn't face the thought of having a panic attack and being trapped. By the end of the day I thought I'd better go on SOMETHING or I'd wasted my money. I went on the corkscrew and absolutely loved it! I'd wasted a whole day giving in to the fear of panic. Just face your fear when you get there, jump on one of the 'easier' rides and you'll discover that there was nothing to be worried about.

BubblegumUK
27-03-13, 20:15
Hey thanks,

in the end we never ended up going, not because of my fears...but because it was to damn cold! We went to salisbury instead and had had a wander, and the cold their was brutal! so i'm glad we never wen to thorpe!

thankyou all for your help and advice :)