PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an allergy or stomach issue?

inCOGnito
22-03-13, 12:08
I think most of us are told anxiety is all in our heads and to a massive extent this is true. But I also believe that anxiety can have a physiological cause.

nutrition, deficiencies and metabolic/immune issues are all connected to how the body functions. Not only what happens below your neck but also above it. These issues are involved in bio-chemical production in the brain (ie they influence neurochemical balance).

I'd like to get a general overview of other physical issues in GAD with a view to doing a more in-depth survey and statistical analysis in the future.

Please vote in the poll :yesyes:

By allergy i mean skin or nutritional or allergy to any substance.
By stomach issue I mean IBS, or frequent stomach issues that have persisted for longer than 6 months. NOT diarrhea or stomach upset associated with an acute period of anxiety.

P.S. This is an anonymous poll

Gotagetthroughthis
22-03-13, 12:27
Hi, very interesting thread and I have always thought there may be a link between my stomach/bowel issues and anxiety.

I have not been diagnosed with anything as I haven't had any tests but I know that my anxiety started around the time when I was having various bowel complaints.

inCOGnito
22-03-13, 12:36
Hi, very interesting thread and I have always thought there may be a link between my stomach/bowel issues and anxiety.

I have not been diagnosed with anything as I haven't had any tests but I know that my anxiety started around the time when I was having various bowel complaints.

Anxiety itself diverts attention away from digestive concerns as it's not seen as important. But digestive issues usually return to normal once the period of anxiety passes.

However I think many people with a history of anxiety have persistent digestive issues. And if that is the case then there is something that is causing it. But just as important if the digestive system isn't working properly then there is going to be a loss of nutrients and/or a malabsorption of specific minerals or nutrients.

inCOGnito
23-03-13, 18:26
90 views and only 5 votes :lac:

Only takes a second! :shades:

Lilharry
23-03-13, 19:45
I have wondered this also. I have oral allergy syndrome and hayfever and also allergic to dust. I find new things every year that I can't eat. The latest is sesame seeds and maple syrup. I also have blood in my stool and ammonia smelling stool, which would indicate that I'm not digesting food properly. I have had severe fatigue for the past 6 months which has caused me a lot of anxiety. Doctors have told me there's nothing they can do because my bloods are fine.

inCOGnito
23-03-13, 21:55
I have wondered this also. I have oral allergy syndrome and hayfever and also allergic to dust. I find new things every year that I can't eat. The latest is sesame seeds and maple syrup. I also have blood in my stool and ammonia smelling stool, which would indicate that I'm not digesting food properly. I have had severe fatigue for the past 6 months which has caused me a lot of anxiety. Doctors have told me there's nothing they can do because my bloods are fine.

have you ever been to a nutritional doctor or had blood tests done privately?
The usual blood tests done at the GPs don't cover very much at all.

Edie
23-03-13, 22:49
I have IBS which my doctors have always told me is due to anxiety. However, I have found that periods of anxiety don't seem to connect with worsening IBS. I had a really stressful time when I first started uni, up until about December, and my IBS was not a major problem during that time. In January I started feeling a lot better emotionally, but had a bad IBS flare resulting in considerable weight loss and feeling very tired and drained. Fortunately I seem to be a lot better, emotionally and physically now!

I do get really bad IBS at times of acute anxiety, so I accept anxiety may play a role in my IBS, I just don't believe it's the full story.

I have skin allergies and allergy to penicillin.

Pipkin
23-03-13, 23:39
My physical symptoms are caused by anxiety, not the other way around. I wouldn't have said that 20 years ago but I've learnt that this is definitely true for me.

Pip

Lilharry
24-03-13, 07:41
have you ever been to a nutritional doctor or had blood tests done privately?
The usual blood tests done at the GPs don't cover very much at all.

Definitely considering it. It's so blimmin expensive though and most of it's just quackery where I live so have to make sure it's someone reputable. Am trying a milk elimination diet for a couple of weeks to see if that alleviates symptoms and if it does I might go for proper allergy testing privately.

Serenitie
24-03-13, 08:08
My physical symptoms are caused by anxiety, not the other way around. I wouldn't have said that 20 years ago but I've learnt that this is definitely true for me.

Pip

I totally agree, Pip. The mind body connection is very strong. My IBS is primarily stress related. Diet can exacerbate it but stress and anxiety triggers it.

inCOGnito
24-03-13, 09:45

Pip

what has led you to this conclusion?

Col
24-03-13, 09:50
I have both.

inCOGnito
24-03-13, 10:01
Here is a study that outlines some commonly recognisable symptoms (eg IBS) that co-occur with anxiety and depression.

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/65/4/528.short

Its a meta-analytic review (ie its a review of many other studies rolled into one) that shows a moderate but significant correlation between these symptoms and anxiety and depression.

What this means is that symptoms like IBS occur with anxiety but not always. One can have anxiety indepenedent of something like IBS but at the same time it is much more likely that somene with anxiety will have IBS.

Now that suggests that there may be separate causes for these conditions but they may share a common pathway.

My hypothesis is that those with IBS and anxiety (or allergy and anxiety) have a nutritional discrepancy at some level that contributes to the presentation of both problems.

Pipkin
24-03-13, 10:24
what has led you to this conclusion?

Hi there,

Not only have I had every test under the sun (and no physical cause has ever been identified), my symptoms only manifest themselves when I'm anxious. In other words, I can be feeling physically well, anxiety hits and then within a short time I'll get symptoms of stomach pain, headaches and the rest.

I guess allergies are slightly different as they have a pathological cause in many cases although I've no doubt that anxiety can exacerbate the symptoms.

The reason I replied to your thread is that I spent a long time searching for answers as to why I felt so physically ill. I believe that this constant searching tells my body that there is indeed a problem, making my anxiety and related symptoms worse. A vicious circle. When I eventually came to the realisation that my symptoms had a root in anxiety, I stopped searching and immediately felt much better. I'm only speaking from personal experience and I know others will have different views but I know this to be the case for me.

Pip

inCOGnito
24-03-13, 12:52
Hi there,

Not only have I had every test under the sun (and no physical cause has ever been identified), my symptoms only manifest themselves when I'm anxious. In other words, I can be feeling physically well, anxiety hits and then within a short time I'll get symptoms of stomach pain, headaches and the rest.

I guess allergies are slightly different as they have a pathological cause in many cases although I've no doubt that anxiety can exacerbate the symptoms.

The reason I replied to your thread is that I spent a long time searching for answers as to why I felt so physically ill. I believe that this constant searching tells my body that there is indeed a problem, making my anxiety and related symptoms worse. A vicious circle. When I eventually came to the realisation that my symptoms had a root in anxiety, I stopped searching and immediately felt much better. I'm only speaking from personal experience and I know others will have different views but I know this to be the case for me.

Pip

I completely agree that anxiety can contribute or cause physical symptoms, particularly stomach issues.

Although I also think that there may be a physiological factor that may or may not be linked to genetics.

Basically I believe anxiety may be a symptom itself. Like how seizures are the common symptom amongst epilepsy disorders anxiety might just be a common symptom across disorders. So in one view anxiety may be purely psychologically related whilst in others it may be physiologically related, and in the middle a mix of the two.

Evidence for this comes via already established anxiety dsorders like OCD, phobias, GAD etc. Further evidence for a physiological cause comes from medically related anxiety symptoms and the reduction/dissolution of symptoms from nutritional supplementation.

Pipkin
24-03-13, 15:14
I completely agree that anxiety can contribute or cause physical symptoms, particularly stomach issues.

Although I also think that there may be a physiological factor that may or may not be linked to genetics.

Basically I believe anxiety may be a symptom itself. Like how seizures are the common symptom amongst epilepsy disorders anxiety might just be a common symptom across disorders. So in one view anxiety may be purely psychologically related whilst in others it may be physiologically related, and in the middle a mix of the two.

Evidence for this comes via already established anxiety dsorders like OCD, phobias, GAD etc. Further evidence for a physiological cause comes from medically related anxiety symptoms and the reduction/dissolution of symptoms from nutritional supplementation.

Hi there,

Of course ultimately, you're quite right. We're talking about anxiety which is, in effect, a symptom of a disorder. It's what causes the disorder, if indeed it is a disorder, that's the mystery which no-one knows the answer to.

There's a whole school of thought (anti-psychiatry) which says that mental illness, including anxiety, isn't actually an illness at all but a series of maladaptive behaviours. This could be said to be particularly true of anxiety as it is a natural reaction to threatening situations which everyone displays, without which our ancestors would have been eaten by woolly mammoths and we wouldn't be here at all. In other words, anxiety is a natural state. It just appears that some of us react disproportionately to perceived dangers, or even see danger where there is none. The problem is that no-one can say what is normal and abnormal anxiety as this judgement is too value-laden and subjective.

I'm not saying I subscribe to any of those views but they are undoubtedly interesting. Even those who do aren't belittling the incapacitating nature of anxiety, they are just arguing that to see mental illness in the same way as physical illness can take away the responsibility and control (agency) from sufferers. We have anxiety which is created by our own brains and, ultimately, it's only through our brains (and the actions they make us take) that we can alleviate it.

Now I think I've completely deviated from the point you were making but I guess the answer to what causes anxiety is still unknown, although many will speculate with a range of theories. It could be physiological (imbalances of neurotransmitters?), genetic, learned or just a difficulty in living in a world which evolution hasn't had time to prepare us for. Anxiety can undoubtedly be a symptom of some illnesses and vice versa. This takes us back to your point and the theme of this thread.

As I said, I know that anxiety (whatever my cause) causes my physical symptoms. You may be different. In the case of IBS, there is such a wealth of evidence that it is so often co-morbid with anxiety that the two have to be linked. However, both can exist without the other so only you will know the answer to your own question: are you physically ill and have co-morbid anxiety (probably caused by the illness) or are you anxious with co-morbid physical illness (probably caused by the anxiety)?

As you can see, you've hit on one of my favourite subjects which I could debate until Christmas and then still keep going!

Pip

inCOGnito
24-03-13, 18:46
Hi there,

Of course ultimately, you're quite right. We're talking about anxiety which is, in effect, a symptom of a disorder. It's what causes the disorder, if indeed it is a disorder, that's the mystery which no-one knows the answer to.

There's a whole school of thought (anti-psychiatry) which says that mental illness, including anxiety, isn't actually an illness at all but a series of maladaptive behaviours. This could be said to be particularly true of anxiety as it is a natural reaction to threatening situations which everyone displays, without which our ancestors would have been eaten by woolly mammoths and we wouldn't be here at all. In other words, anxiety is a natural state. It just appears that some of us react disproportionately to perceived dangers, or even see danger where there is none. The problem is that no-one can say what is normal and abnormal anxiety as this judgement is too value-laden and subjective.

I'm not saying I subscribe to any of those views but they are undoubtedly interesting. Even those who do aren't belittling the incapacitating nature of anxiety, they are just arguing that to see mental illness in the same way as physical illness can take away the responsibility and control (agency) from sufferers. We have anxiety which is created by our own brains and, ultimately, it's only through our brains (and the actions they make us take) that we can alleviate it.

Now I think I've completely deviated from the point you were making but I guess the answer to what causes anxiety is still unknown, although many will speculate with a range of theories. It could be physiological (imbalances of neurotransmitters?), genetic, learned or just a difficulty in living in a world which evolution hasn't had time to prepare us for. Anxiety can undoubtedly be a symptom of some illnesses and vice versa. This takes us back to your point and the theme of this thread.

As I said, I know that anxiety (whatever my cause) causes my physical symptoms. You may be different. In the case of IBS, there is such a wealth of evidence that it is so often co-morbid with anxiety that the two have to be linked. However, both can exist without the other so only you will know the answer to your own question: are you physically ill and have co-morbid anxiety (probably caused by the illness) or are you anxious with co-morbid physical illness (probably caused by the anxiety)?

As you can see, you've hit on one of my favourite subjects which I could debate until Christmas and then still keep going!

Pip

Fantastic! It's nice to talk to someone that has an interest in this and enjoys talking about it :)

I totally agree with what you say about not being a specific illness per se. After all we refer to 'anxiety' like it is some kind of physical thing in the brain, like a tumor. It also has the effect of conveying an identity with the anxiety. An identity that is core to the person and is a part of them, something unmovable. That belief is certainly self-limiting and only adds to the anxiety manifestation itself.

I kind of disagree with the "anxiety being a natural state" angle. Not for the reasons given and I don't say that to scare anyone because it is a matter of perspective. Indeed when our ancestors saw a tiger their heart rate ran up, the sympathetic nervous system kicked in, cortisol was released and so on. That is a rational fear response but anxiety itself is not a natural state per se. It is a grossly exaggerated version of that response that can occur in rational circumstances but also irrational circumstances (ie at home alone). But really this is a matter of perspective.

Yeah there is certainly a multitude of causes, psychological, physiological and nutritional. With those aside, and also independent of those factors, I have my own theory on the main component of anxiety - thought - why it comes about, how it develops, and how it contributes to ongoing anxiety. Although I'm apprehensive about stating it in this public platform because its not something that I want to get into with people who wouldn't be open or ready to look at it :).

Lilharry
24-03-13, 19:15
Well first day without milk went well for me. No throat/chest problems. Little anxiety and normal stool this morning. Too early to tell obviously, but will be doing this for at least the next two weeks too see if there are big changes. It could of course be due to the fact that I'm feeling positive about what I'm doing.

inCOGnito
24-03-13, 20:58
Well first day without milk went well for me. No throat/chest problems. Little anxiety and normal stool this morning. Too early to tell obviously, but will be doing this for at least the next two weeks too see if there are big changes. It could of course be due to the fact that I'm feeling positive about what I'm doing.

Good luck. You will know soon enough if the effects are real or not. :)

Pipkin
24-03-13, 22:52
I kind of disagree with the "anxiety being a natural state" angle. Not for the reasons given and I don't say that to scare anyone because it is a matter of perspective. Indeed when our ancestors saw a tiger their heart rate ran up, the sympathetic nervous system kicked in, cortisol was released and so on. That is a rational fear response but anxiety itself is not a natural state per se. It is a grossly exaggerated version of that response that can occur in rational circumstances but also irrational circumstances (ie at home alone). But really this is a matter of perspective.

The usual analysis of this is that most animals, including humans, have this response mechanism as part of their survival instincts but that in some, the mechanism is over sensitive or faulty in some way and responds inappropriately, such as being alone at home where there is no perceivable danger. States of anxiety that we feel as part of what is classed (DSM) as an anxiety disorder are exactly the same as we'd feel if we were faced with a real threat but somehow are brains are perceiving danger when there is none. I would consider what I've said there to be true but the most important question for us sufferers is why it happens to us. Until we know the answer to that, it's a very difficult condition to treat as all we really do is work on the symptoms but not the root cause.

In thinking of it in those terms, it's possible to say that anxiety is natural and part of all of us. You seem to make a distinction between anxiety and fear, which is often made by those who write on this subject so I suspect we actually agree on this point, it's just the terminology that's different. I don't usually make a distinction as it doesn't really impact on the way I view things but to some, it's a critical distinction in their reasoning.

Just for interest, and because I feel like writing a bit more (!), the distinction between anxiety and fear is often made by the immediacy of the situation, with fear relating to imminent danger and anxiety to something farther into the future. For example, you might be afraid if you stumbled upon a snake whilst out walking but anxious that there may be a snake around the corner.

If you're interested in this kind of conceptual reasoning, there are lots of excellent books on the subject but one in particular I'd recommend is 'All We Have to Fear' by Horwitz and Wakefield (which is where I borrowed the snake example from). The whole book is a study of how natural anxiety states (which of course is a description you might dispute) have been turned into mental disorders by the psychiatric profession. It's worth a read but not for a bit of light bedtime browsing!

Pip

inCOGnito
25-03-13, 08:55
The usual analysis of this is that most animals, including humans, have this response mechanism as part of their survival instincts but that in some, the mechanism is over sensitive or faulty in some way and responds inappropriately, such as being alone at home where there is no perceivable danger. States of anxiety that we feel as part of what is classed (DSM) as an anxiety disorder are exactly the same as we'd feel if we were faced with a real threat but somehow are brains are perceiving danger when there is none. I would consider what I've said there to be true but the most important question for us sufferers is why it happens to us. Until we know the answer to that, it's a very difficult condition to treat as all we really do is work on the symptoms but not the root cause.

Aside from bio-physiological enhancement of physical symptoms I believe I know what the root cause is. Something so simple but ultimately destructive. I'll not mention it here but if you want further discussion i'm open to a pm.

In thinking of it in those terms, it's possible to say that anxiety is natural and part of all of us. You seem to make a distinction between anxiety and fear, which is often made by those who write on this subject so I suspect we actually agree on this point, it's just the terminology that's different. I don't usually make a distinction as it doesn't really impact on the way I view things but to some, it's a critical distinction in their reasoning.

yes you're right, we both agree to the same point that it is a naturally occurring phenomenon and we are merely talking about a distinction in how it is viewed. like having high blood pressure can be very normal, but only when it is consistently high does it become a distinctive problem.

Just for interest, and because I feel like writing a bit more (!), the distinction between anxiety and fear is often made by the immediacy of the situation, with fear relating to imminent danger and anxiety to something farther into the future. For example, you might be afraid if you stumbled upon a snake whilst out walking but anxious that there may be a snake around the corner.

yes,I make the same distinction. Anxiety is a fear of a perceived future situation. Which is why I have thought for some time that even during a panic attack if one had all the physical symptoms they would be no more that physical sensations and it wouldn't be anxiety if there wasn't the psychological element of fear added to it!

If you're interested in this kind of conceptual reasoning, there are lots of excellent books on the subject but one in particular I'd recommend is 'All We Have to Fear' by Horwitz and Wakefield (which is where I borrowed the snake example from). The whole book is a study of how natural anxiety states (which of course is a description you might dispute) have been turned into mental disorders by the psychiatric profession. It's worth a read but not for a bit of light bedtime browsing!

Pip

no no i certainly don't dispute anxiety isn't a natural state. maybe this definition would be more accurate - anxiety is a grossly exaggerated natural state. It's an interesting angle about anti-psychiatry. I don't know much about it although having been involved to some degree in the professional side of things I can attest that it is not intentional from all those involved whom I have come into contact with. One of the big problems i would say is the human capacity to conceptualise and compartmentalise. Take anxiety for example. It does create problems for people and could be a mere extension of the natural state for whatever reason so when it's compartmentalised it becomes separated and with it comes conotations and absolutist thinking.

Why i started this thread was to look at a possible mechanism behind the gross exaggeration of the natural state. i think there may be physiological reasons in some people whereby some element of nutrition (something as simple as vitamin D for example) isn't absorbed enough or properly and this has a knock on effect on vitamin/mineral levels and consequently neurotransmitter balance.

For instance in prolonged anxiety we have an increase in the production of adrenaline which increases the copper to magnesium ratio. Magnesium has a sedative effect and the less you have the more adrenaline gets released. This effects the whole energy system, sugar/insulin/glucose etc. Adrenaline and cortisol affect serotonin synthesis and the imbalance in the energy system has a cyclical affect on the whole process.

Pipkin
25-03-13, 15:00
Hi,

You make some good points and we are definitely in agreement about most things. I wouldn’t say that an anxiety disorder is a grossly exaggerated natural state. I would probably phrase it as a natural but inappropriate response by the brain to an exaggerated perception of danger. In other words, we agree that anxiety is appropriate when being chased by a tiger (I prefer my woolly mammoth analogy, it sounds less threatening) – it helps us to focus on escaping, heightens our senses and enables us to run faster. These are all results of the sympathetic nervous system’s response, as you pointed out earlier. It’s when there is no tiger (there probably never was a woolly mammoth) and the sympathetic nervous system responds as if there is that there’s a problem.

Anti-psychiatry is an interesting philosophical field – it’s not a movement against the psychiatric profession, rather against the over-pathologisation of natural states of being. An example often used it the manifold increase in anxiety disorder diagnoses over the past few decades which, they would argue, isn’t due to an manifold increase in the number of individuals suffering from anxiety but the increase in the number of individuals being diagnosed with anxiety. There lies a clear distinction.

Interestingly, the movement aims to empower individuals and started in a time when institutionalisation of the mentally ill was considered the norm for treatment and, thus, aimed to move away from this. In my opinion, what over-pathologisation can do is start to absolve people of their agency and form an over-reliance on others to resolve their problems when, as I said previously, I firmly believe the answer lies within us. Of course, that’s not to say that medical interventions aren’t necessary or often helpful. I would consider myself to be proof of that. However, it should be viewed as support to guide people down the down of recovery, holding their hand not carrying them there.

You brush on the same theme when you talk about compartmentalising anxiety. I think it’s human nature to want to give everything a name and this also helps us to know what we’re dealing with. On the flip side, it means that we could all potentially be treated the same when, in fact, every one of us has a different condition. I have what is classed as GAD but I can guarantee that no-one has exactly the same experience of GAD as I do. I can also guarantee that there are hundreds of thousands of people who have been diagnosed with GAD who have had the same treatment as me.

With regards to physiological causes, I don’t know enough about this area to comment. As you’ll be able to tell, I’m not medically trained and my area is more conceptual though I guess, as sufferers, we are all led down the path of researching our illness to some extent so that we have a better understanding of what we’re going through. I have no idea why I’m like I am except to say that I’ve been like this from a very early age, it runs in my family and I’ve always felt that it is a part of me, not something external that I’ve acquired or learnt. That’s just my feeling though and I could be wrong. As I’ve accepted this, it means that the cause has always been less important to me – I’ve always focussed on the solution which is the Holy Grail for us all…

Pip

inCOGnito
25-03-13, 17:40
Hi,

You make some good points and we are definitely in agreement about most things. I wouldn’t say that an anxiety disorder is a grossly exaggerated natural state. I would probably phrase it as a natural but inappropriate response by the brain to an exaggerated perception of danger. In other words, we agree that anxiety is appropriate when being chased by a tiger (I prefer my woolly mammoth analogy, it sounds less threatening) – it helps us to focus on escaping, heightens our senses and enables us to run faster. These are all results of the sympathetic nervous system’s response, as you pointed out earlier. It’s when there is no tiger (there probably never was a woolly mammoth) and the sympathetic nervous system responds as if there is that there’s a problem.

For me I would say that fear or the fight or flight response is the appropriate response in this circumstance not anxiety. Anxiety to me is when the fear response is exaggerated (eg having a panic attack at an interview rather than regular nerves) or inappropriate the normal fear response in an inappropriate situation such as a bank queue. But we are only trying to define a concept :)

Anti-psychiatry is an interesting philosophical field – it’s not a movement against the psychiatric profession, rather against the over-pathologisation of natural states of being. An example often used it the manifold increase in anxiety disorder diagnoses over the past few decades which, they would argue, isn’t due to an manifold increase in the number of individuals suffering from anxiety but the increase in the number of individuals being diagnosed with anxiety. There lies a clear distinction.

I would need to read more. I mean the fact that the increases in anxiety disorders may be due to more accurate diagnosis, more people coming forward, more people in general, a reduction in stigma, a willingness to talk to a doctor about it (ie a change in cultural attitudes), or generally that times have been tougher (the components of anxiety) that has increased the number of cases.

With over-pathologisation I see your point. It's not as if anxiety is akin to a uniquely visible pathology like alzheimers or cancer. But i do feel it's possible that for genetic or physiologic reasons there is enough going on that has deviated from the normal range that it causes a problem. Diseases like diabetes aren't the subject of a funny growth but a dysfunction in how something operates.

Interestingly, the movement aims to empower individuals and started in a time when institutionalisation of the mentally ill was considered the norm for treatment and, thus, aimed to move away from this. In my opinion, what over-pathologisation can do is start to absolve people of their agency and form an over-reliance on others to resolve their problems when, as I said previously, I firmly believe the answer lies within us. Of course, that’s not to say that medical interventions aren’t necessary or often helpful. I would consider myself to be proof of that. However, it should be viewed as support to guide people down the down of recovery, holding their hand not carrying them there.

Yeah i certainly agree with this. Its moving away from labelling yourself with something which comes with such heavy conotations.

You brush on the same theme when you talk about compartmentalising anxiety. I think it’s human nature to want to give everything a name and this also helps us to know what we’re dealing with. On the flip side, it means that we could all potentially be treated the same when, in fact, every one of us has a different condition. I have what is classed as GAD but I can guarantee that no-one has exactly the same experience of GAD as I do. I can also guarantee that there are hundreds of thousands of people who have been diagnosed with GAD who have had the same treatment as me.

With regards to physiological causes, I don’t know enough about this area to comment. As you’ll be able to tell, I’m not medically trained and my area is more conceptual though I guess, as sufferers, we are all led down the path of researching our illness to some extent so that we have a better understanding of what we’re going through. I have no idea why I’m like I am except to say that I’ve been like this from a very early age, it runs in my family and I’ve always felt that it is a part of me, not something external that I’ve acquired or learnt. That’s just my feeling though and I could be wrong. As I’ve accepted this, it means that the cause has always been less important to me – I’ve always focussed on the solution which is the Holy Grail for us all…

Pip

It's great you have that attitude towards it. Acceptance is key to dealing with the mental aspects.

Dazza123
25-03-13, 21:30
I havent read the entire thread because my brain wont cope tonight, but as for stomach complaints. My stomach produces too much acid, so I take a tablet called Nexium for it, also the valve at the top of my stomach doesnt close which causes GERD, this is extremely painful and gives very bad chest pain. Nexium stops your stomach from taking in Vit B12 which caused me a deficiency and gave me lots of symptoms, ie tingling, numbness down my left side. So, this numbness (basically stroke symptoms) plus incredible chest pain (GERD) gave me a health anxiety, which in the past 6 years has spiralled into severe panic/anxiety disorder.

This may be irrelevant to your thread, but as I said I havent read all posts.

shakey1961
26-03-13, 08:49
Elsewhere on this forum I have posted about Coeliac disease. The more I look into it the more things "pop out" at me and all my panic and anxiety problems have stemmed from that.

Sadly my father is no longer with us, but I remember well his "gas" problems. He was also very "loose" all the time when going to the bathroom.

Since 16yo I have suffered with hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) and have the glucose meter readings to prove it. Hypos cause adrenalin to be pumped into the body and we all know what that chemical does to the body!

Since removing wheat from my diet I am much calmer, I don't get out of breath as much and when I've been exerting myself I can get my breath and recover quickly.

My panic attacks I would say are almost non-existent now, but I still get anxious when travelling, but that's because I've had so much ill health over the years it's going to take a while to un-learn my old habits.

I am totally convinced my panic and anxiety is due to Coeliac disease.

You can get a test in Boots for coeliac. it's £20 ish but don't you think it's worth a try?

If you do suspect or want to get tested for coeliac, please DO NOT stop eating wheat. If you do your body will stop producing antibodies which is what the test looks for and you'll get a false negative result. While I feel better for removing wheat, I need to get tested and I have to go back onto eating wheat and I'm frightened of all my old symptoms returning.

I would go as far to say my panic is cured!

inCOGnito
26-03-13, 12:35
I havent read the entire thread because my brain wont cope tonight, but as for stomach complaints. My stomach produces too much acid, so I take a tablet called Nexium for it, also the valve at the top of my stomach doesnt close which causes GERD, this is extremely painful and gives very bad chest pain. Nexium stops your stomach from taking in Vit B12 which caused me a deficiency and gave me lots of symptoms, ie tingling, numbness down my left side. So, this numbness (basically stroke symptoms) plus incredible chest pain (GERD) gave me a health anxiety, which in the past 6 years has spiralled into severe panic/anxiety disorder.

This may be irrelevant to your thread, but as I said I havent read all posts.

Thanks for the input and yes it is relevant :)

Have you tried supplementing with vitamin B ??

Elsewhere on this forum I have posted about Coeliac disease. The more I look into it the more things "pop out" at me and all my panic and anxiety problems have stemmed from that.

Sadly my father is no longer with us, but I remember well his "gas" problems. He was also very "loose" all the time when going to the bathroom.

Since 16yo I have suffered with hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) and have the glucose meter readings to prove it. Hypos cause adrenalin to be pumped into the body and we all know what that chemical does to the body!

Since removing wheat from my diet I am much calmer, I don't get out of breath as much and when I've been exerting myself I can get my breath and recover quickly.

My panic attacks I would say are almost non-existent now, but I still get anxious when travelling, but that's because I've had so much ill health over the years it's going to take a while to un-learn my old habits.

I am totally convinced my panic and anxiety is due to Coeliac disease.

You can get a test in Boots for coeliac. it's £20 ish but don't you think it's worth a try?

If you do suspect or want to get tested for coeliac, please DO NOT stop eating wheat. If you do your body will stop producing antibodies which is what the test looks for and you'll get a false negative result. While I feel better for removing wheat, I need to get tested and I have to go back onto eating wheat and I'm frightened of all my old symptoms returning.

I would go as far to say my panic is cured!

awesome! although i am sorry to her about your dad. You're a fine example of how something wrong within the body effects the whole system and how the mind responds to imbalances in the system.

I have wondered wether I have some form of hypoglycemia. Did you use a home glucometer?

shakey1961
26-03-13, 18:46
Yes I bought a glucose meter from a local chemist. The best one to get is an Accu-chek.

Do you get dizzy/feel drunk, sweaty, trembling, weak feel anxious and breathless? Does it come on quickly? The likelihood is it could be hypos.

My hypos are much less severe since I removed wheat from my diet.

Do you get pins and needles in your limbs or weird strange feelings like tingling? That's another symptom of Coeliac.

I'm a firm believer that anxiety and panic originate with a physical cause. It's not all in the mind.

Please reply and ask anything and I'll try and help.

I'm busy tonight but will be happy to reply more tomorrow

inCOGnito
26-03-13, 22:29
Yes I bought a glucose meter from a local chemist. The best one to get is an Accu-chek.

Do you get dizzy/feel drunk, sweaty, trembling, weak feel anxious and breathless? Does it come on quickly? The likelihood is it could be hypos.

My hypos are much less severe since I removed wheat from my diet.

Do you get pins and needles in your limbs or weird strange feelings like tingling? That's another symptom of Coeliac.

I'm a firm believer that anxiety and panic originate with a physical cause. It's not all in the mind.

Please reply and ask anything and I'll try and help.

I'm busy tonight but will be happy to reply more tomorrow

Certain its not coeliac. Hypoglaecymia is just an angle i'm checking. It wouldn't be the bog standard hypoglycemia because i don't get the severe symptoms suddenly. But maybe a subtype where blood sugar drops below normal a few hours after eating. Even during anxiety free periods I would be very tired all the time, sleepy, foggy head, lacked energy, confusion, poor memory, and motivation. i used to have a sugar addiction too. And i do feel better having food every few hours rather the square 3 meals a day. i scored quite high too on a couple of online hypoglycemia questionnaires, although questionnaires are never too reliable.

Maybe it isn't but maybe it is. Either way it'd be nice to tick it off the list. I hear home glucometers aren't too accurate tho. There's a place in london that does a 5 hour GTT test but i'm not good at travelling at the moment!

Dazza123
26-03-13, 22:30
I have B12 injections so that side is sorted now thankfully.

Im also Diabetic, and have hypos a lot due to my not being able to eat/drink properly at the moment so that doesnt help with the anxiety either.

shakey1961
27-03-13, 00:56
Certain its not coeliac. Hypoglaecymia is just an angle i'm checking. It wouldn't be the bog standard hypoglycemia because i don't get the severe symptoms suddenly. But maybe a subtype where blood sugar drops below normal a few hours after eating. Even during anxiety free periods I would be very tired all the time, sleepy, foggy head, lacked energy, confusion, poor memory, and motivation. i used to have a sugar addiction too. And i do feel better having food every few hours rather the square 3 meals a day. i scored quite high too on a couple of online hypoglycemia questionnaires, although questionnaires are never too reliable.

Maybe it isn't but maybe it is. Either way it'd be nice to tick it off the list. I hear home glucometers aren't too accurate tho. There's a place in london that does a 5 hour GTT test but i'm not good at travelling at the moment!

You're describing almost the exact same symptoms I had. Do you ever get really bad palpitations, thumping heart, feel like you skin is on fire?

Candida is also associated with Coeliac. I have that also which causes the foogy brain, bad memory etc. Garlic capsules are best for that, have to be the smelly ones though.

Think about glucometers. While most meters have a tolerance built in they have to be fairly accurate or they wouldn't be licenced for sale as serious type I diabetics have to rely on them and the one I have is used in hospitals - so go get one and see.

The rule for hypos is "4 is the floor" That's 4mmol/l (don't ask me what it stands for) I've had readings of 3.5 2.8, 2.3, and the worst one I ever recorded was 1.8! Also, you can get hypo symptoms even with a normal level of blood sugar, sometimes if your blood sugar falls fast it produces symptoms, but you will take a reading and it will show as OK. I was at my most anxious when it hovered around 4.2/4.3 which is technically OK

Give it a try

inCOGnito
27-03-13, 09:53
which type of accu-meter thing did you get? Its worth a punt!

I'll put a pro-biotic on the shopping list too. God only knows the shape of our digestive systems with years of sugary drinks and foods, alcohol, and wheat intake!

shakey1961
27-03-13, 20:17
This is the meter I use. Always had Accu-chek as I think it's the best.

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/index.html?product=aviva

About £10-£15 in Tesco pharmacy I think. They come with some testing strips. Unless you can get them on prescription they're around £25 a box of 50.

Wouldn't go down the route of Probiotics yet unless you want to, but if you can afford it try a Coeliac test from Boots around £20. They are supposed to be very accurate.

I'll be interested to know how you get on, please keep in touch.

mrslala
27-03-13, 20:52
I was getting really bad bloating, acid reflux etc and feeling sick my doc was Adament it was anxiety..... I found a website called test your intolerance (uk based) and paid £45 for a test! send a bit of your hair off and got my results within a week! Found out i'm intolerant to dairy, milk protein and many other things.... cut them out or reduced and the stomach issues have resolved!! :-):hugs:

inCOGnito
27-03-13, 22:01
This is the meter I use. Always had Accu-chek as I think it's the best.

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/index.html?product=aviva

About £10-£15 in Tesco pharmacy I think. They come with some testing strips. Unless you can get them on prescription they're around £25 a box of 50.

Wouldn't go down the route of Probiotics yet unless you want to, but if you can afford it try a Coeliac test from Boots around £20. They are supposed to be very accurate.

I'll be interested to know how you get on, please keep in touch.

I'll pick it up tomorrow thanks and let you know how it goes. I'll give myself a home 5hr GTT test and see what the results look like.

I was getting really bad bloating, acid reflux etc and feeling sick my doc was Adament it was anxiety..... I found a website called test your intolerance (uk based) and paid £45 for a test! send a bit of your hair off and got my results within a week! Found out i'm intolerant to dairy, milk protein and many other things.... cut them out or reduced and the stomach issues have resolved!! :-):hugs:

that's great mrslala. I've been toying with using one of those hair analysis sites for a long time but never did it. I read that they are very variable with the results. I looked into blood testing but it's very expensive and if you don't really know what you're looking for then you might need a few of them!

mrslala
27-03-13, 23:13
I wasnt sure at first but I read a few reviews and thought lets have a go!!got better results than going to my GP anyway :-) hope you get sorted soon and feel better <3

Lilharry
27-03-13, 23:48
So, I have just been to a new doctor and she thinks that I'm anxious because of my symptoms, not the other way around, which is what I've been saying all along. She says I probably have chronic fatigue syndrome, but is doing some other tests to rule things out. She is getting me to try a wheat free diet for a bit to see if that helps my symptoms, although I am not coeliac. She says a wheat rich diet (which mine is) can cause all sorts of problems. Will see how I get on.

inCOGnito
29-03-13, 08:26
Grrr. I bought the wrong device...the accu-check nano. I haven't been able to get a reading from it and now the batteries are dead after two minutes! :mad:

So, I have just been to a new doctor and she thinks that I'm anxious because of my symptoms, not the other way around, which is what I've been saying all along. She says I probably have chronic fatigue syndrome, but is doing some other tests to rule things out. She is getting me to try a wheat free diet for a bit to see if that helps my symptoms, although I am not coeliac. She says a wheat rich diet (which mine is) can cause all sorts of problems. Will see how I get on.

Interesting a doctor talking about diet at that level. Let us know how it goes.

shakey1961
29-03-13, 11:20
The batteries shouldn't have died after 2 minutes! They last months. Take it back and exchange it for an Aviva and tell them about the batteries.

Oh, and make sure your hands are clean and washed before you take any readings. If you have been touching something sugary you'll get a wrong reading.

Lilharry
29-03-13, 20:43
Interesting a doctor talking about diet at that level. Let us know how it goes.

She's the first doctor I've ever been to that has said anything like that. She even said that the medical community isn't very good at this kind of thing, I guess bescause there isn't any hard science in support of it, but she's dealt with a lot of chronic fatigue patients and patients with stomach issues (the two tend to go hand in hand) and she's seen what works. 1.5 days wheat free and I am feeling a million times better and had the first normal bowel movement I've had in months last night! I'm a sceptic about these sorts of things, but was getting so desperate I was prepared to try just about anything. Based on the results so far, I would recommend anyone with stomach problems try a wheat exclusion diet and see how they go. Time will tell though, so I shouldn't get too ahead of myself!

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

She also said that protein for every meal is a good idea. So I'm doing eggs for breakfast and smoked salmon for lunch and then whatever we usually have for dinner, which is usually based around a meat dish. Adding in rice and rice crisp breads etc where I would usually have bread. Also adding tons of veges.

shakey1961
29-03-13, 21:36
I'm finding this all so fascinating. Here we all are, finding out that some, if not all, our problems stem from our stomachs.

Seriously brings to mind the quote "You are what you eat"

I always said down the years to my parents and others that "something was doing this to me" i.e. it wasn't all in my mind.

I'm just so angry that I've wasted the best 35 years of my life and it has ruined my life, not being able to work or have a partner. It's been a blight on my life for so long I feel my whole life has been a total waste.

Still I have to focus on what's left of my future and enjoy it.

Let's stick together guys see if we can persuade the medical community what we've found out!!!

Lilharry
29-03-13, 23:28
It's very interesting isn't it! I don't know if wheat would be attributed to all my anxiety, as I suffered anxiety before I had any known allergies and stomach issues, but my latest bout of health anxiety is definitely down to the physical symptoms I've been experiencing. I'm sitting here right now trying to make myself get anxious and I can't! There is a lot of information on the internet about wheat sensitivity and there are studies about it. It looks like it is known to doctors, but a bit on the fringe because there aren't any specific tests you can do to prove it - it's more of a case by case thing and the only real way to "diagnose" it is to do an elimination diet. I think doctors are also a bit careful about it because of the current fad for gluten free. So you really need to find a doctor who is sympathetic to it adn has had experience treating it.

Lilharry
31-03-13, 03:32
Spoke way too soon as have had a really bad today and no sleep last night :( Hopefully it's just a blip.

shakey1961
31-03-13, 03:57
Hi Lilharry. Sorry to hear you had a bad day. It should be a blip. Keep on the diet. I have bad days. Just remember, hopefully the good days outweigh the bad ones now.

I went out for a meal for my friends birthday just after Christmas last year. Had gammon and chips at a local pub. When I was 3/4 the way through my chips I realised they looked crisp and fluffy, they obviously had been coated in something. I was farting and burping and my stomach was getting bloated. I felt rotten the next day and a few days afterwards.

You may have accidently eaten some wheat/gluten. Go back and check on what you've had. I used to like processed beef from our supermarket, till I looked at the ingredients and it said in the allergy advice column that it contained gluten!! I mean, gluten in beef!!!!! So just check

Lilharry
31-03-13, 04:34
I think the main problem is that I drank alcohol last night and it's really wiped me out - just can't do that with chronic fatigue. Also realised that soy sauce I was having contains gluten. Tummy hasn't been too bad, but my body is all shakey and I can't think straight or move around properly. So maybe a combo of lack of sleep/alcohol/and small amount of gluten. Hopefully tomorrow is better!

It's crazy how many things contain gluten! Why put it in beef for goodness sake!

shakey1961
31-03-13, 08:24
As Homer Simpson would say, DUH!

What type of alcohol did you have? Was it Beer? Just looking around the web at how beer is made, and Barley is used as the sugary solution to start fermentation. Wheat, Rye and (yes you guessed it) Barley all contain Gluten! Sorry to be a killjoy.

You can get gluten free beers though. Don't know what they're like as I don't really drink. I think wines are OK.

Yes, soy sauce contains Gluten, but you can also get that Gluten free. Trouble with gluten free foods they're damn expensive. Look in the "Free From" section in you local supermarket for gluten free foods.

As for gluten in the beef, they must use some type of rusk thingy to help bind the beef together. Crazy

Give it a few days and see if you're better again. Use this as a good test to see if you recover. If you do then it's more evidence that it's gluten.

You can take your findings to your doctor.

---------- Post added at 08:24 ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 ----------

Oh, you must also steer clear of Oats for the time being. Some people can have problems with that also. Seems Oats don't have gluten but somehow they can get contaminated because they a processed in the same factory that also does wheat stuff

inCOGnito
31-03-13, 08:46
I think.gluten acts like a glue in food processing if I remember correctly. Think that's why its used in so many things.

Also I would think that even taking out an allergen or digestive cause for anxiety it will take time to counter the mind conditioning and sensitization so anxiety wouldn't disappear overnight. Got to work on that too.

shakey1961
31-03-13, 11:08
Oh yes, fully agree about the mind, but what happened to me when I cut out the gluten was I just seemed to become totally relaxed. It sounds silly, but I am generally so relaxed now it's almost like to don't need to breathe. My pulse, when in bed, has been as low as 58bpm, I'm just so chilled out.

But...... I still have difficulty travelling and get anxious when away from home, but that's the mind being conditioned to so many years of anxiety and panic attacks when out, that you're naturally wary. I live 20 miles from Liverpool and last month I went to see Phantom of the Opera at the Liverpool Empire (my favourite musical) and I was nervous about doing it. Having to walk up a slight hill to get back to my mates car (I didn't drive thank God), even the theatre had a slight slop and steps to get out and I thought, if I get out of breath I'll panic, so I was a bit stressed out about getting home. I needn't have worried. Thoroughly enjoyed the show and got back to the car no problem.

One to file away in the mind as a success. Going to see West Side Story in September now. Still wary, but I can call on my last success!!

Takes time and you have to unlearn years of conditioned behaviour.

Lilharry
31-03-13, 23:12
It was sparkling wine and the last time I had it the same thing happened, although I used to be fine with it. I don't drink still wine because I get awful headaches and feel sick, but always been fine with bubbly up until recently. Just need to steer clear of alcohol in general I think! Still feeling rotten today and definitely didn't have any gluten yesterday. Hopefully just a case of 2 day hangover and i'll feel better tomorrow.

Congrats on your successful theatre going shakey!

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Funny what u said about oats too. I was having porridge for breakfast in winter last year and had to stop because it made me feel sick. I figured I was allergic to them, or that they were contaminated with some of the nuts I'm allergic to. Stopped eating mueslie for the same reason.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Also, I've been getting a lot of heart palps lately, but they feel different to usual anxious ones I sometimes get, like they are brought on as a reaction to something. Haven't noticed any since I've cut out the wheat.

shakey1961
01-04-13, 04:43
I read somewhere that Coeliac patients that are recovering have reported that they can't tolerate alcohol as much as they used to. It's because the Villi (the finger like parts of your gut that get flattened in Coeliac disease) are able to absorb more nutrients so they absorb more alcohol. I think fizzy stuff also gets into your blood stream easier.

As for the palpitations, I used to get that badly, like my heart would thump in my chest. Made me feel quite weak. I found out it happened if I ate too much fat, i.e. full cream milk. Since cutting out wheat that's better. That also is to do with the villi, as reduced villi fail to produce Lactase, which is responsible for breaking down Lactose (the sugar found in milk) so newly diagnosed Coeliac patients can also be lactose intolerant which in the main resolves itself as the person gets better.

So apart from the Coeliac, you could be lactose intolerant also, which can produce then same symptoms as the Coeliac!!

It's a minefield, but very interesting when you start to learn about it. More I look into it the more I discover about myself and how I can relate it to my father!!

inCOGnito
01-04-13, 10:59
It's always the parents fault! :D

Glad you had a good time at the theatre shakey. It's one thing i'd like to do more but never get around to.

Lilharry - I wonder if you get an acute withdrawal from coming off wheat or the like. sugar and perhaps wheat are addictive. Might take a few days for the body to adjust. Maybe try some slow release carbs to steady your blood sugars.

shakey1961
01-04-13, 11:37
It has to be on my fathers side, he was the one with "gas" both up and down and loose bowels continuously. My cousins daughter has been diagnosed with it and she's on the male side of the family!!!

If only I'd known when I was a teenager, 35 years of hell could have been avoided or at least lessened the effects of it

Lilharry
02-04-13, 03:40
I don't think I'm eating enough, which is probably part of the problem. Head feels clearer today, but still shakey and had a loose bowel movement this morning and food wasnt' digested properly - (sorry for all the poo talk, but hey, it is what it is!). Keep fearing the worst, but just have to get through this week, I think, and then see how I feel.

I can't believe it takes so long to diagnose gluten intolerance, Shakey. Was reading online that people don't usually get diagnosed until they're in there 30s or 40s, which sounds crazy! I'm sorry you had to put up with it for so long, but it's great you know now at least, but yeah, so unfair about the lost years. I still can't say one way or another whether wheat is the problem for me, will have a better idea at the end of the week. I know i'm not coeliac because I've been tested, so if it's just a senstivity it may mean that I can tolerate some wheat.

shakey1961
02-04-13, 07:07
How long ago did you get tested for Coeliac? I hope you weren't on a wheat free diet at the time. You can get false negative results.

What tests did they run to check for Coeliac?

As an aside... I've never had this message come up before when posting

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters."

What all that about?

Lilharry
02-04-13, 08:13
No, wasn't on a wheat free diet - have never been on one before until now. Can't remember when I was last tested, probably quite recently. They did bloods. You can be wheat intolerant without being coeliac though, it just means it's less dangerous in some ways because it doesn't actually damage your intestines, but can give you the same symptoms to a greater or lesser degree.

That's very odd about the message! It must not have recognised that you'd typed a message for some reason.

shakey1961
03-04-13, 12:15
This thread's gone quiet

Lilharry
03-04-13, 21:25
Well update from me is that I've been feeling pretty crappy and have had white/grey/clay colour stools and severe stomach cramps, grumbling and spasms for the past 2 days, however last night this calmed down. Is freaking me out, but going to stick with this a bit longer as it could just be my body getting used to it. Last night I woke up with a weird smell, I can't explain it, was kind of like when you leave your washing in the machine too long before taking it out and it gets that sort of sickly smell. Got blood test results back and nothing wrong with my pancreas or liver, which was really worrying me, so that's a relief. And that's my news!

inCOGnito
03-04-13, 21:53
Glad to hear you liver and pancreas tests came back ok. Your stomach does sound like it's doing some crazy things! Apparently it's a lack of bile in the digestive process that causes the odd colouring.

If the docs don't provide an answer would you consider a neturopath or nutritional doctor or something?

No update from me. I actually felt quite good today. Stopped taking all the supplements for a while (magnesium/B-complex/ashwaganda/chromium) just to see what effect it has. A couple of hours of solid relaxation does wonders. In fact on Monday night I had three beers and 3 ciggies and felt real good the next day, lol. Maybe some of that GABA gave the mind a boost :)

Lilharry
03-04-13, 22:56
Yay for feeling good today! That's great news!

Have been referred to gastroenterologist, but waiting to hear back about an appointment. Might pay to see one privately.

Funny story - discovered my husband had left a load of washing in the machine and that probably was the reason for that smell I woke up to!

saware
04-04-13, 00:48
wow, these results are really interesting. I have IBS but it's only recently I've realised it came on around the same time my anxiety started becoming a real problem. I don't know which one causes the other but I always assumed anxiety caused the IBS so it's interesting to think about it from another perspective

inCOGnito
04-04-13, 07:27
Yay for feeling good today! That's great news!

Have been referred to gastroenterologist, but waiting to hear back about an appointment. Might pay to see one privately.

Funny story - discovered my husband had left a load of washing in the machine and that probably was the reason for that smell I woke up to!

ha!

wow, these results are really interesting. I have IBS but it's only recently I've realised it came on around the same time my anxiety started becoming a real problem. I don't know which one causes the other but I always assumed anxiety caused the IBS so it's interesting to think about it from another perspective

ibs may stem from anxiety or perhaps they occur from the same pathway or maybe the ibs doesnt show up fully until the anxiety is bad enough. it's hard to tell!

Lilharry
05-04-13, 08:01
So it's not a wheat intolerance that's making me sick - have cut it out for the past week with no changes, in fact I've felt worse for most of the week! Went and saw a naturopath today and start taking some herbal supplements next week. I am a real sceptic when it comes to this stuff and what she did was pretty whacky, I can tell you! But the supplements themselves seem pretty harmless and may even help, so why not try at least - they include a pro-biotic, a liver cleanse, some anxiety relief and sleep aid - according to the naturopath I have an inflamed digestive system. She thinks the supplements will help my allergies too. Have finally found out that I'm on the waiting list for a colonoscopy - soooo don't want to go through with it, but at least it will finally confirm what is causing the blood in my stool. Just have to ride it out until I called in which could be up to 6 months away.

inCOGnito
07-04-13, 09:45
What did the naturopath do?

I used to very skeptical about everything that didn't have the established scientific medical stamp to it until i learned to think outside the scientific box. Science is often a front for arrogance.

no-one likes an endoscopy but you'll get through it ok. It will be good to have answers.

Still haven't done the home GTT test I was going to do. My focus has been elsewhere lately. It isn't pleasant feeling unwell everyday for years, or at the least, not feeling well every day if you know what I mean. Anxiety or not it is unpleasant.

Davey63
07-04-13, 16:28
My anxiety attacks always seem to happen after I have eaten certain foods. I am convinced there is a link and I possibly have an allergy to one or more food ingredients.

I have told this to many doctors/medics and have written a food diary explaining what foods give me an attack. They think it is all in my head. Maybe it is. I have some hospital tests lined up so I will keep taking my medication and see if a test either finds something or it is ruled out.

Obviously the foods that I think affected me I no longer eat so I am much more limited in my diet. Been like this for over 4 years on and off but seems to be getting worse especially this year.

My attacks always follow this pattern about 5-10 minutes after eating something that disagrees with me:
Slight feeling of anxiety
A need to start walking around quickly
Increased anxiety leading to a state of panic
Adrenaline rushes through the body
Increased heart rate and some palpitations
Dizziness
A real feeling that death is imminent
A sudden need to pass both urine and stools even though I may have only gone to the toilet half an hour ago.

The only things I can do to help reduce these feelings is to lie down, try to take deep breaths and drink water.

I know these are all classic signs of a panic attack but I don't know if food actually causes them to happen or whether it is psychological.

Does anyone else get episodes like this? I feel like I am an isolated case with regard to anxiety being triggered by certain foods.

inCOGnito
07-04-13, 16:52
Whats foods did you cut out? any common traits running through those foods?

Davey63
07-04-13, 17:33
Foods that were either a definite cause or I suspected of causing these panic attacks:
Seeds and oils - sesame/sunflower/poppy, seeded bread, butter, chocolate, shortbread biscuits, fish batter, iced buns, oily fish like tinned mackerel and tinned sweetcorn.

Sweet things in a liquid form like sugar, after eight mints, turkish delight thins and liquid paracetamol all brought on attacks. Caffeine as well - I cut this out a long time ago.

My worst attack was after eating a bag of Sweet Chilli flavoured Walkers Stars crisps. Laid me out flat for 6 hours with the panic attack itself lasting for 2 hours.

Most of the above is rubbish food anyway and stuff I can live without but it makes me wary of trying any new foods in case of an attack. I now eat very healthily and have lost a good deal of weight because of this.

I am still puzzled to this day why food would trigger anxiety attacks and haven't been able to find a common ingredient applying to all the things that affect me.

shakey1961
07-04-13, 17:46
Yo Davey. Read my posts on the subject. I found out all my problems originate in my stomach. Mine turns out to be Coeliac disease.

It could also be drops in your blood sugar level (Hypoglycaemia). When you blood sugar drops it can make you feel like you're drunk, dizzy, can't stand noise, sweating, heart racing and all these effects come from adrenaline being pumped into your body to keep you conscious.

It could be this. It obviously comes on very quick which is what happens when you get a hypo.

Please tell me how you get on

Davey63
07-04-13, 18:19
Hi Shakey,

Thanks for your post. I must say that I have never had any stomach problems at all. I have cut out sugar though and I think I did have a few low blood sugar episodes whilst my body adjusted to the sudden lack of it.

I've been tested for diabetes and an over-active thyroid and both were negative. I have recently been to see an endocrinologist who has arranged urine and blood tests and a CT scan to check my glands and hormones are behaving as they should.

I am currently on 20mg Propranalol and 20mg Citalopram (both daily) for anxiety.

I will let you know the test results as and when I get them.

shakey1961
07-04-13, 18:26
Please don't stop taking any medication, you must not do that at all, but from what I remember the Beta-blockers can cause Hypoglycaemia.

Please go and see your GP and discuss it. I had them. I was anxious with them and couldn't panic, which in a way I wanted to do cos I would have got rid of it.

To me it sounds like your blood sugar mechanism isn't right.

Do you eat a lot of wheat products? Bread, cakes etc

I was tested for diabetes and it came back negative. What type of test did they do on you for that. It won't show up if you just do an overnight fasting test.

Lilharry
08-04-13, 12:23
The naturopath used "muscle testing" - have you heard of that? At the end of the day, the supplements she came up with are fine and may even make a difference, so I'm definitely going to give it a go. And I agree, sometimes science doesn't have all the answers (yet), but I do think that the answers should be able to be verified by science, at least in some small way.

NE21 worrier
08-04-13, 19:33
When I get anxious, I get GERD, ie. stomach acid splashing up my oesophagus to the back of my throat. I also have difficulty swallowing and lose my appetite altogether. I have had difficulty accepting my problem is psychological rather than physical, however - but it really is. I only ever really get the symptoms if I am nervous about something or I've had a heavy drinking session, and often those two things have been linked of course.

Lilharry
17-04-13, 22:10
Update: had my colonoscopy and they found 2 massive polyps! One, he said, looks like it was about to turn cancerous. They couldn't complete the check because the sedation was wearing off and I was in a lot of pain, plus my bowel was twisted. So I have to go back for another one under anaesthetic. Feeling somewhat vindicated in my concerns! I have been researching low iron and it seems to fit my symptoms perfectly and would make sense seeing as I've been bleeding internally for the last 5 or 6 years. My iron tests have always come back in the normal range but that doesn't mean they're not low for me personally. Feel like I'm finally getting sorted! Moral of the story: if you think you're suffering from more than just anxiety you really have to back yoursrlf. I have been through several doctors who refused to refer me for colonoscopy and told me my symptoms were in my head, when I knew there was something going on. Am going to get an iron supplement today and will report back.

inCOGnito
18-04-13, 16:09
Sounds like a bitter-sweet result lilharry. Found something physically wrong which isn't pleasant but it does mean that you can wag your finger at the GP!

It will be interesting to see if the iron supplement has any effect. And whether or not treatment will affect your anxiety levels. Thanks for updating the thread and hope everything goes well for you. I hope your GP is more conscious now of other anxious based patients. Anxiety is in the mind but it can definately be affected by physical or bio-nutritional factors!

Chester
19-04-13, 13:20
Finding this discussion really interesting.

I have coeliac disease but I've had that since I was a kid so can't really pinpoint it to depression or my stomach issues as I manage it well.

I do however have really bad acid which gnaws my stomach up and can make me feel terrible, IBS-esque

tracieann
20-04-13, 22:08
i have ibs and gastritis and duodenitis which are both inflammatory probs in the stomach acid over production is made much worse by stress and when mine is bad all three become severe i take acid inhibitors regularly but i know that going through a major anxious period of time will start the whole thing again plus give me health anxiety hope this helps

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

:)
i have ibs and gastritis and duodenitis which are both inflammatory probs in the stomach acid over production is made much worse by stress and when mine is bad all three become severe i take acid inhibitors regularly but i know that going through a major anxious period of time will start the whole thing again plus give me health anxiety hope this helps

shakey1961
26-04-13, 19:44
Bump. Don't want this tread getting too far behind

Lilharry
14-05-13, 08:35
Update: Have had my second colonoscopy and they removed a bit more polyp, but didn't find anything else sinister thank goodness. The biopsy of the polyps that were removed the first time showed low grade changes, which means they would have turned cancerous if they hadn't been removed.

I have been suffering from the WORST health anxiety I have ever had for the past couple of weeks. I was convinced I was dying of cancer and am so relieved to have the second colonoscopy out the way so I get on with my life.

What you may all find interesting is the protocol the specialist has put me on for my stomach/bowel problems. According to him, this works for 80% of people who suffer with IBS. I have posted this in the IBS forum also, but here it is again:

2x Asocol tablets morning and night and a dessert spoon of konsyl-D mixed with acidophilus yoghurt 2 times a day

Lilharry
31-07-13, 07:37
Latest update from me. I have been seeing a naturopath and finally getting to the bottom of the health anxiety/allergy/stomach issues. Candida and bad bacteria overgrowths can cause many of these symptoms, combined with a leaky gut from years of being sick = bad news and multiple allergies. I'm now being treated for candida and have completely overhauled my diet. I am finally making progress.

inCOGnito
31-07-13, 11:20
Glad things are on the way up for you lilharry

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Looking at the preliminary data;

Total votes:60

Those with an allergy: 45% (n = 27)
Those with digestive issue: 47% (n = 28)
Those with both issues: 40% (n = 24)
No issues: 8% (n = 5)

- 92% of people with anxiety have an allergy or digestive issue
- 40% have both issues
- isolated allergies are rare in anxiety and usually occur with a digestive issue
- suggests a common link between allergies and stomach complaints in anxiety

It should be noted that there were probably a large number of people who did not vote (going by thread view:voting ratio). We could also probably assume that the majority of those who did not vote did not have an issue. So our results cannot be taken at face value. That being said, in those who did vote it is clear that there is quite a strong association between anxiety and allergies/digestion problems.

Lilharry
01-08-13, 07:31
Do you have a theory about it Incognito? I'm convinced that candida is a huge issue for a lot of people, not just me. It causes so many symptoms and when it gets really bad it permeates your intestines allowing food molecules into your blood, triggering an immune response - hence allergies. I have so many allergies it's ridiculous. It causes anxiety, depression, brain fog, fatigue, weird pains, severe pain, weird pains and feelings just about anywhere in your body, insomnia, strange rashes, the list goes on! I am finally getting some relief by being treated for it.