PDA

View Full Version : Sticky stool

Button1
22-03-13, 20:59
Hi guys,

I'm having an awful time with HA at the moment, I've had constant worries about bowel cancer for several years now and it really is ruining my life. Ive had two breakdowns in the past two years and have been on sertraline on and off for that whole time. Recently I've been struggling so much the dose has been increased from 50mg-100mg. I've also been anaemic since giving birth 7 months ago and am on iron tablets.

Anyway, since going back on sertraline and taking iron I've had sticky stools. This is making me very anxious. Has anyone else had this? I do have IBS.

Reassurance greatly needed, thank you again x

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Anyone?!?

venusbluejeans
22-03-13, 21:26
Taking Iron tablets will give you sticky stools, they may even go a sort of black colour......it is completely normal

Button1
22-03-13, 21:40
Venusbluejeans- thank you, you've saved my weekend. Can I ask how you know that? My stools are very dark and almost black which hasn't helped.

venusbluejeans
22-03-13, 22:42
I took Iron Tablets a while back and it was one of the drawbacks of them. glad to help Button :D

the following is taken from the NHS website......

Iron supplements

Your GP will prescribe an iron supplement to restore iron missing from your body. The most commonly prescribed supplement is ferrous sulphate, taken orally (by mouth) two or three times a day.
Some people can experience side effects when taking iron supplements including:

nausea (feeling sick)
sickness
abdominal (tummy) pain
heartburn
constipation
diarrhoea
black stools (faeces)

Button1
22-03-13, 22:56
Thanks guys- I'd be lost without you!! X

PinkRoxy
23-03-13, 07:36
You might like to try an alternative brand of iron supplements as I think the ones that the doctor gives are really yucky. I get major tummy problems with those. I just get myself some iron melts or other iron supplements that are just as good but have less side effects. It may cost more but I think they are better.